• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior IV
  3. Getting a Metal Babble Helm Without Spending 20 Small Medals

User Info: anderoug26

anderoug26
10 years ago#1
Somebody has asked about this in an archived post, and I didn't see this answered by anyone, so I started a new topic. Yes, you can get the metal babble helm without giving 20 small medals away to the medal king.

Either go to Gottside or to the Final Cave with your wagon where you fight King Metals randomly. To do this, you'll need Taloon in your party. When you have him in your party in Chapter 5, he does all kinds of random actions during battle, but one of them, if you're very lucky, is to steal from an enemy. King Metals tend to run away pretty quickly, so it can be a nearly impossible feat to get that lucky without some help. One of Taloon's actions is to hypnotize a monster, which will paralyze them for the entire battle, but since he does all sorts of random things, I wouldn't use him to start.

Your best bet it to equip four characters with venomous daggers (randomly paralyzes enemy after hit), switch the tactics to Offensive, and drain your characters of their mp so your characters will only attack with their weapon. Once you're able to paralyze a King Metal, put everybody in the wagon except for Taloon, and keep your fingers crossed. It would be wise to empty Taloon of all his belongings because he's dumb enough to try using any item in his inventory to waste a turn. When you see the message "Taloon has caught King Metal off guard and grabs the treasure chest", he'll have a metal babble helm in his possession.

Notes:

1) After extensive testing I found that you can only steal one metal babble helm
2) You cannot get one if you already gave up 20 small medals to get a metal babble helm, but you can use those medals to equip members with the sword of miracles. (Metal Babbles hold the shoes of happiness, and you can get as many of these as you want)
3) Any item you steal from an enemy is the same item the enemy would have randomly dropped at the end of battle, but I never got a King Metal to drop the lone metal babble helm in the game.

anderoug26
10 years ago#2
Minor typo:

I meant you can win/steal the Hat of Happiness from Metal Babbles. The Shoes of Happiness was the prize you could win from a metal babble in DWIII.

You can actually use the same method to steal as many Hats of Happiness as you want from Metal Babbles!

User Info: regulon

regulon
10 years ago#3
I believe there was a "Use No MP" tactic as well, no? As long as you emptied all other usable items, that should serve well enough...

User Info: Ragn_At_Work

Ragn_At_Work
10 years ago#4
There was discussion that if you already have a Metal Babble Helm, you can put it in the vault to remove it from your inventory and make the King Metal drop/steal a possibility again, and IIRC that was confirmed under Game Genie testing to increase the drop rate.

Can anyone else confirm/deny?
Read the ToU! Read the stickies! Read the FAQs! Read the Help Files! Read the manual! Read a book on grammar and spelling!
You forgot to read something!

anderoug26
10 years ago#5
Well, I stand corrected...

I put the metal babble helm in the vault, then used this code I found on Paulygon's code list:

AAUOPXZG +
AAKPGXYL : Always get a treasure chest after winning a battle! The item
received will be from the last enemy defeated. A few enemies don't have an
item assigned to them, so in those cases, a treasure chest will not appear.
NOTE: The first code is sufficient for most monsters, but there are a few
that have an additional element of chance. To get treasure chests from
those, both codes are required.. for example, the Plesiosaur and King Metal.

To play safe, I went to Gottside because King Metal's appear by themselves. After beating one, I got the Metal Babble Helm again.

Good stuff...enjoy!

User Info: Ragn_At_Work

Ragn_At_Work
10 years ago#6
Well, you still need to test to make sure that, even with the codes in, you don't get one when the helm is in your inventory. The game genie code may be overriding the "don't drop if you already have one" flag.
Read the ToU! Read the stickies! Read the FAQs! Read the Help Files! Read the manual! Read a book on grammar and spelling!
You forgot to read something!

User Info: MeteorStrike

MeteorStrike
10 years ago#7
A few months ago, this question came up and I did some hacking to confirm this.

The following list are items that you are allowed to have only ONE of them. Note that this list is used when calculating item drops, not necessarily used for other things. (I never confirmed this list's other uses, except for item drops)

20 = Zenithian Sword
30 = Magma Staff
33 = Zenithian Sword
55 = Zenithian Armor
68 = Zenithian Shield
75 = Zenithian Helm
79 = Metal Babble Helm
80 = Meteorite Armband
82 = Baron's Horn
87 = Leaf of World Tree
91 = Dew of World Tree
92 = Flute of Uncovering
93 = Sphere of Silence
95 = Sandglass of Regression
96 = Sage's Stone
102 = Mirror of Ra
103 = Lamp of Darkness
104 = Staff of Transform
107 = Iron Safe
108 = Flying Shoes
109 = Silver Statuette
110 = Treasure Map
111 = Symbol of Faith
112 = Gunpowder Jar
113 = Thief's Key
114 = Magic Key
115 = Final Key
117 = Birdsong Nectar
118 = Golden Bracelet
119 = Prince's Letter
120 = Royal Scroll
122 = Boarding Pass
123 = Padequia Root
124 = Fire of Serenity
125 = Gas Canister
126 = Padequia Seed

Here is the relevant code that I have in my notes for item drop calculation:

$921C:C9 7F CMP #$7F
$921E:85 C4 STA $C4 = #$FF
$9220:F0 62 BEQ $9284 ( Is there an item from this enemy? )

$9222:00 BRK ( Calculate if we are allowed to have more than 1 of this )
$9223:10 0F BPL $9234
$9225:90 05 BCC $922C ( Are we allowed to have more than 1 of this? )

$9227:00 BRK ( Calculate if we got one of this already )
$9228:66 73 ROR $73 = #$75
$922A:B0 58 BCS $9284 ( Does player already have 1 of this? )

$922C:00 BRK ( Calculate probability of getting item )
$922D:25 B3 AND $B3 = #$00
$922F:F0 14 BEQ $9245 ( Did player get lucky enough to get this? )

Here are some additional notes I added in my... notes file... I can't remember right now the details about this, but if I added this in my notes file, there must be some truth to it. :)

--------------------
Calculate if we got one of this already

If none of the allies in the immediate party
( those that show up when selecting the Item menu )
do not possess the item, it is considered that
the player does not have the item in possession.

Storage and any player not listed in the current
party may possess the item without being considered
to be in possession.
--------------------

So in answer to the question, the algorithm that determines item drops after a battle will check to see if you got the Metal Babble Helm already, and if you do, you will not get another one again. However, keeping the item in the vault or with an ally not active will allow you to get another one. (note: must be an ally that cannot be switched out from the wagon either! Best to keep it in the vault...)

The only thing I would recommend to watch out for is getting too many Metal Babble Helms... this item cannot be sold or dropped, which is why the game includes it as an item that can only be acquired one at a time...

The other thing I will mention is: Metal Babble Helm + Hat of Happiness = can be acquired from enemy drops, so everyone can get one. Sword of Miracles = you can only get 2, but you really only need 2. Staff of Jubilation = crap. In conclusion, don't even bother wasting your small medals... save them for bragging rights that the king already has all 31 of them in possession... But I would keep 1 for myself as a souvenir :)

User Info: regulon

regulon
10 years ago#8
I don't think getting too many Metal Babble Helms will be a problem for anyone in a regular game, heh heh...

But I'm confused a little bit about the listed items...I don't know any of the math involved, but practically speaking, do any enemies actually drop those some of those items in the first place? How would you determine whether the item gets dropped or not if no enemy drops it?

User Info: radblast

radblast
10 years ago#9
An old question I had, but was unsure if answered...if Taloon steals an item, is it possible to get one at the end of the same battle, whether from a different monster or not?

User Info: MeteorStrike

MeteorStrike
10 years ago#10
@ regulon:

You are correct in that the Metal Babble Helm is the only thing there that enemies drop. (I think) This is why I posted:

The following list are items that you are allowed to have only ONE of them. Note that this list is used when calculating item drops, not necessarily used for other things. (I never confirmed this list's other uses, except for item drops)

Meaning that this list MAY be used for other things (for example, the guy that gives you Dew of the World Tree but only gives you one at a time, or the Leaf of the World Tree itself) but I never verified this information. I can only say that this list is used for the item drop algorithm, and MAYBE for other things as well. (although I agree that, if used only for item drops, then it is a pretty redundant list...)

@ radblast:

I never traced that, but looking at the algorithm, this does not seem to be calculated. I know for a fact that taloon can steal from an enemy multiple times from the same enemy, so there is definitely no quantity counter on the enemy. There is another small snippet of the item drop algorithm, though, and I never looked into it... I don't know what it does and never bothered to verify its use, but given that Taloon can steal more than one item from the same monster at a battle, I would assume what you ask is possible...
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior IV
  3. Getting a Metal Babble Helm Without Spending 20 Small Medals
  • Topic Archived