• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior
  3. Wow, leveling up all the way to 30 is kind of boring

User Info: Alushen

Alushen
6 months ago#1
Been playing this game since I received it from the Nintendo Power promotion all those years ago and never leveled up to level 30, typically finish the game around 18-19. I decided to give it a go, just to see the bit of text from King Lorik that I was strong enough to defeat the dragon lord. Sadly, I only made it to level 24. Once there’s nothing else to do (even the grind between Erdricks equipment and Charlock is still something to do) the game kind of does get boring. Has anyone actually leveled up to 30?
Zhuge Liang or Sima Yi?

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
6 months ago#2
I didn't the first few times I played it, but ever since I did it the first time, I usually do it. I still beat the game in the early 20 level range, but I keep playing it until I max out.

I don't find it too boring, and it really doesn't take very long. I don't remember just how long, but I don't think each level takes more than 10 or 15 minutes or so, if that.

Part of it is because, unlike future Dragon Quest games, your battle performance continues to improve noticeable all the way to the level cap. So it's kind of fun to see how different enemies get so much easier.

I don't remember exactly when, maybe around level 24 or so, you finally get enough strength to be able to hit metal slimes for more than one damage. This not only speeds up the grind, but for me killing those elusive metal slimes faster and faster has a certain entertainment element in and of itself. By this time you can also kill the other enemies around there without having to go back to an inn to heal, so it finally becomes a decent level-up spot.

I also kind of enjoy fighting the Dragonlord every few levels to see how much more smoothly the fight goes. There's a certain appeal to beating him in three rounds without having to heal.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.

User Info: BlockWatcher

BlockWatcher
6 months ago#3
I leveled to 30 once with no weapons or armor. My topic about it is here somewhere. It was a long lonely slog.
1 John 2: 15-17

Alushen
6 months ago#4
Perhaps it goes quicker the closer to 30 that you get, due to the metal slimes and defeating enemies faster, I just tend to run out of steam around level 23-24, and it’s like all right, let’s finish this thing already!!
Zhuge Liang or Sima Yi?

User Info: oldguy2

oldguy2
6 months ago#5
In the iOS version, this is what the king says when you are at level 30.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/1/2/8/AAQEkKAABwVg.jpg
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.

User Info: Black_Crusher

Black_Crusher
5 months ago#6
Alushen posted...
Been playing this game since I received it from the Nintendo Power promotion all those years ago and never leveled up to level 30, typically finish the game around 18-19. I decided to give it a go, just to see the bit of text from King Lorik that I was strong enough to defeat the dragon lord. Sadly, I only made it to level 24. Once there’s nothing else to do (even the grind between Erdricks equipment and Charlock is still something to do) the game kind of does get boring. Has anyone actually leveled up to 30?
Yeah a long time ago I did. I thought it was funny when the king told me I was strong enough already haha.

I want to say I leveled up on stonemen and red dragons and stuff to get to that point (and not metal slimes, which gave you substantially less XP than they do in the other games).
Equin 2: The Warren Peace- My Roguelike. Try the Demo!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1630690

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
5 months ago#7
I usually use Red Dragons and their fellow enemies for the last few levels of the game (I don't remember quite how many levels). I believe there's a window where Metal Slimes and the enemies around them are more efficient, but there also comes a point where the final dungeon enemies are better.

A Red Dragon gives only 15 fewer experience than a Metal Slime, and they appear more frequently. I think the only issue is how long you can fight against them without having to heal, especially it still takes three rounds to beat them. If you run out of MP and have to leave, the time it takes to get back makes the overall EXP rate drag quite a bit.

Once your defense gets high enough for single digit damage numbers against most of those enemies, you can last indefinitely with Erdrick's Armor and then that's totally the way to go.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.

User Info: Jay_Shaw

Jay_Shaw
5 months ago#8
If I recall correctly, in the NES version of the game, King Lorik says, "Thou art strong enough! Why canst thou not defeat the Dragonlord?" (or something very similar to this) if you approach him after you have reached level 30.

During my past couple of playthroughs, I gained all of my late-game levels by repeatedly fighting the Axe Knight in Hauksness who is guarding the Armor of Erdrick. I believe this is the fastest way to gain experience despite the fact that some other enemies give more experience per battle than the Axe Knight simply due to the fact that you can cycle through battles really quickly at this location without having to walk around to generate an encounter.

I don't recall exactly how long it took me to get to level 30 by fighting the Axe Knight, but I'm guessing it was roughly a few hours. This isn't very long compared to the amount of time you can spend gaining levels in other JRPGs, but going through the Axe Knight fight over and over again can get to be pretty tedious since there is no variation at all in what you are doing. I found that the process is a lot more pleasant if I listen to my music collection while I train my character(s)...

--Jay

Alushen
5 months ago#9
So I finally did grind on the switch version and got the screen that oldguy2 posted. Maybe I’ll grind on the nes in the future. I do enjoy the grinding to a point, but after reaching level 18 or 19, and ready to finish the game, you’re not even halfway to 30.

Based on what the king says, I wonder how many people back in the day tried to go even higher without either: realizing they were strong enough, or didn’t quite know what to do.
Zhuge Liang or Sima Yi?

User Info: Black_Crusher

Black_Crusher
5 months ago#10
Alushen posted...
So I finally did grind on the switch version and got the screen that oldguy2 posted. Maybe I’ll grind on the nes in the future. I do enjoy the grinding to a point, but after reaching level 18 or 19, and ready to finish the game, you’re not even halfway to 30.

Based on what the king says, I wonder how many people back in the day tried to go even higher without either: realizing they were strong enough, or didn’t quite know what to do.
IIRC air won't let you, like you don't gain XP anymore or something like that.
Equin 2: The Warren Peace- My Roguelike. Try the Demo!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1630690
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior
  3. Wow, leveling up all the way to 30 is kind of boring
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A