• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Contra
  3. The game gets harder after the first time you beat it.

User Info: LukeInside

LukeInside
6 years ago#1
Feel free to share how far you've gotten into the game and what are the difficulty changes that you've spotted.

Completing the game without losing any medals at all is actually an easy task for an experienced gamer. What is actually an accomplishment is to get far with the next playthroughs of Contra. Someone has answered the question on gamefaqs that on second playthrough there's more troopers. I must disagree: the amount of troopers is the same but they run faster. What's also different is the speed of cannon bullets. The hidden ones in the first level shot instantly which got me killed because I wasn't awared of that.

On the third round the amount of troopers is increased and their running/shooting speed is faster so watch out. I wonder how far can a player get before the game becomes unforgiving :) I'm on Snow level now and on third walkthrough. What are your experiences with that classic game?

User Info: toritoritori247

toritoritori247
6 years ago#2
I've never made it more than 3-4 times through without using the code. Check some of the archived topics here for some insanity from Homeslice, though. I forget how many times he made it through, but I want to say it was 60+. He included a bit of footage from various parts of the run, and you can see the ridiculous number of shots it takes to kill things in the final level past a certain point.

I don't know if it caps out past a certain number of finishes, but I imagine it does. Still, it keeps getting harder for quite a while, I know that much.
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin
DQC Fusion Chart - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yMWTlcmB6a9NJhGd78nMm6FVxOcLB18sRjeMiuBnfPk

User Info: Damon Plus

Damon Plus
6 years ago#3
I got 7 games straight through the game, and I finally died at the mid-boss of the 8th level. After about the 5th time, difficulty doesn't increase anymore, but if you die, you're screwed. Every boss takes forever to kill. I died because the flying yellow things he trows absorbed a lot more bullets that I could shoot before they overwhelmed me.
Step back! This is my blast shot!

LukeInside
6 years ago#4
toritoritori247 - thanks for the info! I'll check some archived topics. Completing Contra 60+ times? Now that's some rad gaming :)

Damon Plus - 7 times is still a good achievement though so don't you worry! The last boss is probably the hardest part of the game so there's not much probability you would complete Contra 7th time to be honest :P I'm on 5th playthrough now and I'm thinking about putting it on my channel of retro walthroughs. Dunno what will happen because I died once or twice on the 4th run though.

Thanks for comments guys.

User Info: Homeslice

Homeslice
6 years ago#5
LukeInside,

Please let me know if you have any general questions about the difficulty of the game. The main, and by far the most frustrating part of the later runs, is Stage 8 Alien Lair. The final boss is an absolute nightmare on about runs 15+. You basically have no choice but to dodge every single "face hugger" that spawns, which gets really intense and truly tests your reflexes. Mayyyyybe you could kill them with a turbo controller, but it's just too risky in my opinion. Also, the eggs and heart itself all take more hits to destroy as well. It got to the point where I only felt comfortable killing the bottom left egg and then tried to tackle the heart itself. Still not sure if that's the best way to do it or not, but it works well enough to where I sometimes don't die.

The rest of the game seems like it stops getting hard before the 10th time through. But man, Stage 8... the bane of my existence.

Here's the like that tori was talking about where I died on my 59th time through not using the code. Thanks tori for thinking 60+ :)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563399-contra/63602022

The videos are still on youtube if you're curious to see how Stage 8 goes on some of the later runs, though the quality is horrendous.

User Info: weavilledeathex

weavilledeathex
6 years ago#6
I've beaten contra before, with the CODE.

My blog :http://gamingthrowback.blogspot.com/

LukeInside
6 years ago#7
Hi there Homeslice.

I've set this topic just to gather some difficulty changes of further playthroughs. Don't have questions about certain parts of the game though. I've already noticed that the last boss is harder every single time. The turbo button isn't necessary when you have fast and strong fingers. I will definitely keep in mind all your advices because I'm on 5th playthrough now. I'm using emulator and the game is saved there, waiting for a day when I'll be ready :) Cheers!

weavi - no problem. Not everyone has to beat Contra without code and without losing lives, so don't worry there.

User Info: toritoritori247

toritoritori247
6 years ago#8
haha. Well, hey, I didn't overshoot by much. 59 is pretty damn close to 60. Not sure why I was thinking barely over 60, but oh well. Minor difference at that rate. I couldn't imagine going through it that many times. I do remember seeing some level 8 footage from one of your later runs, and just seeing how long it took to kill the boss was insane.

Yeah, it took me a long time to beat it the first time without the code. I still fail on this one a lot more often than I do Super C, but it's still not that tough for me to beat now. It definitely took some practice to just beat it without the code, then later without continuing and trying to do multiple plays.
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin
DQC Fusion Chart - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yMWTlcmB6a9NJhGd78nMm6FVxOcLB18sRjeMiuBnfPk

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
6 years ago#9
LukeInside posted...
Completing the game without losing any medals at all is actually an easy task for an experienced gamer.

I will have to disagree about this.
I may not be that experienced with the Contra franchise yet (I discovered the series about a year ago and I have played Contra, Super C and Contra 3: The Alien Wars so far), but I do consider myself quite skilled at the games - at least skilled enough to have beaten Contra 3: The Alien Wars on Hard - and I have not been able to finish Contra without getting hit yet.
There is always those situations when too much crap is going on at the same time and I find myself cornered and unable to get away, or I get so nervous at the last levels that I screw up more than I usually do.

I feel that I can do it, and I am pretty sure I will do it before the end of this week, but I wouldn't exactly say that it is "an easy task".
I would say it is "manageable" and "highly possible" for experienced gamers, but "easy" feels like an overstatement, IMHO.
Hello.

LukeInside
6 years ago#10
It all depends on which genre you find yourself good at. I'm quite good in fast action stuff so I consider it an easy task. This statement is also based on many videos posted on YouTube. Home Alone 2, Double Dragon, Battletoads and other hard games should fall into "managable" imo :) You'll do it eventually. Good luck and cheers!
  1. Boards
  2. Contra
  3. The game gets harder after the first time you beat it.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A