• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shining Force II
  3. 25 years later and STILL just as fun

User Info: Johnnyfive85

Johnnyfive85
2 years ago#1
Shining Force II was a game shown to me on the Sega Channel back in the day. Watching him play it bored me but when he let me try a battle I was instantly hooked, like the hobo in the alley starting a lifelong heroin battle after first trying it.

Well, maybe not EXACTLY like that example my point though is how addicting SF2 is. I can beat the game and start right over later in the same day.

I just am basically trying to create a SF2 appreciation esque topic. Im not gonna say its under rated but in comparison to most Genesis games I'd consider it somewhat under rated amongst all Genesis players as RPGs generally are.

On my way home making this topic on my bus ride home and I feel today, as is any day, a great day to start a new SF2 game and kill some gizmos.
Sometimes, dead is better.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
2 years ago#2
I used to replay this game every summer back school but I have only played it once or twice since then. It is still in my top 3 favorite games of all time though
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: Fukenog

Fukenog
2 years ago#3
Definitely one of my favorite games on the Sega Genesis. Lost track of how many times I beat this game. Another favorite was Landstalker.
FFBE 617087614

User Info: Johnnyfive85

Johnnyfive85
2 years ago#4
Speaking of beating this game, in the past decade and a half im sure ive completed it between 60 and 70 times. So beautiful of a game!

Randolf is kicking many an ass which is abnormal for me as i usually choose Eric or Tyrin are usually my choices. Karna is amazing but too amazing as her on my force makes this easy game even easier. Randolf ive only used a couple of times for one reason or another but damn i love this guy now.
Sometimes, dead is better.

User Info: gamerguy7

gamerguy7
2 years ago#5
Agree, I am playing it again on the Switch. Now I just need to get Sega to make a new Shining Force for the switch ala Streets of Rage 4

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
2 years ago#6
Johnnyfive85 posted...
Speaking of beating this game, in the past decade and a half im sure ive completed it between 60 and 70 times. So beautiful of a game!

Randolf is kicking many an ass which is abnormal for me as i usually choose Eric or Tyrin are usually my choices. Karna is amazing but too amazing as her on my force makes this easy game even easier. Randolf ive only used a couple of times for one reason or another but damn i love this guy now.

I usually pick Randolf the most often because he's my favorite Dwarf and he's also by far the hardest to level up later. Everyone else can farm prism flowers or boost.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: Fiop

Fiop
2 years ago#7
Yes, I chose to replay this on the iPhone even though I own other strategy RPGs that I haven't beaten yet. There's a beauty in its simplicity and balance. I also played the original too - that one feels more dated, but this one I think still holds up.
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude." - 1 Cor 13:4-5

User Info: M1dnightRider

M1dnightRider
2 years ago#8
The last time I tried this one I was getting destroyed. Did I need to spend more time leveling, or do enemies just start, and consistently keep on, nailing your characters for half their health?

User Info: redfire85

redfire85
2 years ago#9
gamerguy7 posted...
Agree, I am playing it again on the Switch. Now I just need to get Sega to make a new Shining Force for the switch ala Streets of Rage 4

I bought Shining Resonance: Refrain, knowing full well that it was "Shining" in name only. It's amazing to me that Sega keeps thinking action RPGs are the future for Shining games when Shining Force 2/3 are basically the last good games in the entire series.
3DS Friend Code: 0963-0004-9809

User Info: Raijinili

Raijinili
2 years ago#10
Shining Soul 2 was fine.

Shining Force Feather might be fine.
  1. Boards
  2. Shining Force II
  3. 25 years later and STILL just as fun
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A