You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Solo Gryz (party select hack) vs Xe-A-Thoul, HELP!

User Info: etony33

etony33
1 month ago#41
She can equip them all, as well as all heavy armor and shields.

Trouble is, though, that she gets no upgrades from Kadary until you get the Ice Digger.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: danzibr

danzibr
1 month ago#42
So for difficulty...

Gryz > Seth > Raja > Rune > Hahn > Demi

Should any of those be >>s?

EDIT: I imagine Chaz would have a real easy time. And Rika. And Wren. Hmm, the final party's pretty OP.
(edited 1 month ago)

etony33
1 month ago#43
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14YyY60xyjLVNw5CMB3lpU8u8BtqGByzw6ZqLD6Hy0O4/edit?usp=sharing

Well, here you go. This doesn't cover non-bosses, but those aren't bad for the most part, with a few exceptions (notably Raja dying, like, 20 times in a row to Xanafalgue x2 at the very beginning of the game, and everyone except Seth and Demi getting paralyzed by Flyscreamers and Life Deleters over and over)

etony33
1 month ago#44
The Xe-A-Thouls and Sa-Lews are the most volatile, depending which character you use.

Xe-A-Thouls counter every group attack with Thndrblast, which you invite if you have the Plasma Field. Raja resists F5 (Giwat), so he's the one character you DON'T want to hurt them all at once, especially since they are very weak to F6, so melee attacks are probably the way to go with the Psycho Wand.

Rune has very high mental, but that doesn't help him much when it comes to the Xe-A-Thouls due to his low HP and physical defense. Gryz, well, you know.

Sa-Lews being hard depends entirely on your character's weaknesses. Raja is weak to F3, and Sa-Lews uses Flaeli 50% of the time. That's not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2E6BptrL0

^I actually won that time, after adding 20 levels from when I beat De-Vars. But you can see the problem, namely that Raja only has enough HP to absorb one high damage Hewn or Tandle before getting into the range of dying to Flaeli. And he can't damage Sa-Lews outside of the Thunderclaw.

It's similar with Demi, except not nearly as bad, and Tandle is the culprit. Barrier saves the day! The rest had high enough HP and/or Mental/MDEF to not really have to worry. With Hahn and Seth, Sa-Lews counters physical attacks with Legeon, and the Plasma Field reduces it to very low damage.

De-Vars responds to magical attacks with Disruptarm. This is good and desirable in a solo run, because it does less damage to a single character than his normal attack. It's very predictable, and you can always stay ahead of the curve with healing because of that.

etony33
1 month ago#45
Oh, and the reason why Igglanova is tough for Hahn is that Gelun doesn't affect it. Rune has the Wood Cane and can heal himself indefinitely. Raja has Blessing, reducing even criticals to 1 damage, and the rest have high agility and/or HP.

etony33
1 month ago#46
Trying to redo this battle with Gryz/Zio (and recording it this time) has me slamming things in anger. And I don't usually do that.

I'm going to upgrade it to the level of Gryz/DF1, Gryz/Xe-A-Thoul, and Raja/Sa-Lews. It's bad.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
4 weeks ago#47
I have nothing really to add, but hate to see this topic die, at least not yet.
Just shows that it's harder to cheese things with all the resistances around, just sounds much tougher to do damage on certain things than in FFVI, FFIV, etc.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

etony33
1 week ago#48
Yup, and it's stuff you would never, ever notice in a normal playthrough. Well, you might notice it with Sa-Lews and De-Vars, but even that's unlikely, unless Wren is equipped with the Napalm Shot or something.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Solo Gryz (party select hack) vs Xe-A-Thoul, HELP!