You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Solo Gryz (party select hack) vs Xe-A-Thoul, HELP!

User Info: etony33

etony33
2 months ago#1
This is, of course, not possible in the unaltered game. I'm using a version that allows you to use any character or combination of characters at any time.

I need to come up with the optimal strategy for the end of this fight. Any ideas?

Gryz is in big trouble here, because he has a low Mental stat, is weak to Factor 5 (Giwat), and has no way to deal damage outside of attacking and Sweeping.

They have 1500 HP apiece. Equipping an axe and using Sweeping is out of the question.

Gryz has 460 HP. With the Plasma Field and Reflect Shield equipped, here's how much damage Gryz takes on average:

Giwat: 230-260
Attack: 25-60
Gizan: 50-100
Thndrblast counter: <10, usually 1

The Thndrblast counter is always used if: a) all three are alive, and b) all are damaged with a single attack. It cancels out any action they otherwise would take for that turn. Despite the name, it deals factor 2 damage rather than factor 7. Gryz has the Plasma Field equipped, granting F2 resistance. With an axe equipped, he takes ~130 damage.

With his present setup, Gryz has 60 agility. This allows him to act first about 99% of the time. However, 99% is not 100%, and a single Giwat can be deadly.

His only way to deal multi target damage here is by using the Laco Rod. It does a pitiful 15-20 damage each time. This forces the Thndrblast counter. He usually has to use a Trimate at some point to prevent the damage from the Thndrblasts to add up (it's usually 1, but sometimes more like 10, and that adds up over dozens of attacks. Also, one of them will go first every now and again, doing significant damage if it doesn't kill Gryz). When he does, that enables them to use individual attacks, thus possibly necessitating another Trimate if Gryz even survives.

Eventually, the damage will add up. If it doesn't kill all three at once (which is unlikely), they can then use Giwat and kill Gryz. If two die and Gryz survives the ensuing attack, he has a Tornado Dagger he can use to finish the other one off.

You can see the conundrum. Any ideas?

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
2 months ago#2
I don't think there IS an easy way to win this. You're using the only obvious viable strategy already, dual shields with Laco Rod spam for damage. My understanding is that Thunderblast functions as a combo attack, and if you negate it by eliminating one Xe-A-Thoul ahead of the others you remove their ability to use the attack which damages you least. Far as I can tell, your options are to keep trying until luck is with you, to the tune of 120 or so rounds of combat minimum; or grind out more levels and then try for luck again.

Since physical damage isn't really what's at issue, you might try (just for this fight) downgrading to the Silver Helm, Silver Mail, and pair your Plasma Field with a Psy Shield; for what limited good it does, this gives you 5 more points of Mental stat. There might be a small increase in damage output; if so it would shave a few rounds off... Given how long this fight is going to take, even just 1 extra damage per Rod use adds up over the battle to 4-5 rounds worth of damage at your current rate.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

etony33
2 months ago#3
Perhaps someone can confirm this one way or the other, but I'm almost certain that the user's Mental has no effect whatsoever on the damage output of Laco Rod (or any other use-as-item effect).

I just tested it with Gryz, no equipment, 59 Mental as well as Hahn with 103 Mental against Rippers and Shadowsabers in the Ladea Tower. I tried it half a dozen times with each, and it did right around 40 damage every time.

User Info: stha guy

stha guy
2 months ago#4
The technical guide claims: 16 * F13 - enemy ib mdfs

So no bonus from mental.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
2 months ago#5
I don't know why but I always have it in my head that Gryz learns Gra but having looked it up just now he doesn't. From what I can tell you already have as good a setup as you can get. Seems to be a matter of luck and/or grinding at this point.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
2 months ago#6
Hmmm... Didn't know Mental didn't affect item damage... I'd only really ever used the Wood Cane in early game, where stats are low enough to make little difference. Well, that and Thunder Claw macro spam on certain areas, but that's on the rare run that involves hella grinding, but that's grinding- who pays attention to the numbers on that?

Regardless, though... If I'm guessing right based on the max HP he posted, 5 Mental should be about 8-10% of Gryz's current total. The points of Mental might still help by lowering average damage taken by 1-2 points. It's not much, but over the course of a 100+ round battle...

*shrugs*

If TC is having enough trouble to post here, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Maybe instead of a single big fix, the battle can be overcome with multiple, similarly tiny optimizations.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"
(edited 2 months ago)

etony33
2 months ago#7
I need the agility boost from the Swift Helm. Silver Helm grants +2 MTL and +1 MDEF (for a total of +3 MDEF). Swift Helm gives +3 MDEF, so that's a wash, but the +6 AGI is huge.

Reflect Mail gives +14 MDEF compared to Psy Mail's +2 MTL and +2 MDEF and Silver Mail's +4 MDEF, making it the better option. Likewise, Reflect Shield gives +16 MDEF compared to Psy Shield's +10 MDEF and +1 MTL.

etony33
2 months ago#8
This evil RNG is too evil to leave standing!

User Info: stha guy

stha guy
2 months ago#9
Do you use the swift helm as an item at the start of the battle for even more speed? It's certainly risky, but if it greatly improves your chance of later turns going first, it could pay off.

etony33
2 months ago#10
That's one of the things I'm trying to figure out whether I should do. That, and whether I should use a Trimate towards the end of the battle, and also whether I should pick one of them off with the Tornado Dagger towards the end so I have more control over when it happens (Giwat/Giwat will kill me almost from full health, but I can survive there actions other than Giwat from like 220 HP, and there's a 12.7% chance that I'll see something other than Giwat three times in a row).

I'm also trying really hard to conserve the few Sol Dews that I have. I may need them more for Lashiec and/or DF2.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Solo Gryz (party select hack) vs Xe-A-Thoul, HELP!