Tips and tricks?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Tips and tricks?

User Info: danzibr

danzibr
3 weeks ago#1
What are some tips and tricks you've acquired over the course of your playthroughs?

For me, only 2 spring to mind.

1. Use the Psycho Wand on Lashiec after he beefs up.

2. Don't open the bottom right (I think) chest when you first get Wren so that you can return and do some Hunters Guild stuff with him.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
3 weeks ago#2
While level grinding in general seems to be frowned upon in these RPG's, I would strongly suggest leveling Rune when you get him back for the second time. I haven't had any problems with him yet (i still yet to finish the game) but many complain that he's hard to keep alive. In addition to extra levels, others have given him two shields and just use his magic.

And your Number 2. What's that all about? Sounds interesting. I am not aware of any Hunders Guild missions related to him.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

danzibr
3 weeks ago#3
TriforceSD posted...
While level grinding in general seems to be frowned upon in these RPG's, I would strongly suggest leveling Rune when you get him back for the second time. I haven't had any problems with him yet (i still yet to finish the game) but many complain that he's hard to keep alive. In addition to extra levels, others have given him two shields and just use his magic.

And your Number 2. What's that all about? Sounds interesting. I am not aware of any Hunders Guild missions related to him.

Nice!

Yeah, I have a couple preferred grinding spots. I gain Chaz and Gryz a few levels when Rune first shows up, then Rune and Demi a few levels when he second shows up, then I abuse that healing spot in Air Castle.

As for number 2, iirc a couple missions become available after you beat Zio. But if you get that item (Decloaker or something?) it forces you to attempt to go to the satellite, and instead crash on Dezolis, and you can't go back for a while.

User Info: M1dnightRider

M1dnightRider
3 weeks ago#4
Something tells me this thread should have been marked for spoilers, so my tips will be.

You can get to Tonoe absurdly quick if you plow through the first dungeon(rely on Alys' Vortex on the 1st boss, let the other 2 kill the minions, start Hahn off with Vision to improve everyone's dexterity, so they don't miss, which won't be an issue with Alys, since she's using a skill of her own), run from enemies the entire way until you get to Rune. Unequip Rune of everything he has, equip Hahn with the circlet and 2 shields when you can, and create a Macro where Rune starts with the GRA tech, followed by Alys attacking, chaz attacking, and Hahn using the Wood Cane you took off of Rune as an item(free RES tech). Have Rune kill enemies around Krup until he runs out of MP(13 battles since he has over 130 MP), rest in Krup(if you're up for it, deal with Hahn's stuff in town), then leave for Tonoe, again having Rune with 13 battles within the cave. Chaz and Hahn should be level 6 by this point(same as Gryz), and you should have enough Meseta to get everyone's best gear in Tonoe(the shops are within the red and blue tents, and you mostly should just have to worry about Alys and Chaz, since Hahn's best gear, for the most part so far, should have been within chests in the last couple of dungeons, plus the circlet you took off of Rune). Plus you can sell Rune's gear, but hang onto the Wood Cane, for the free healing.

Speaking of the Wood Cane, another can be dropped if you have the patience/luck from Tech Users, who hang around Kadary, and inside Zio's Fort.

Wren's Pulse weapons have a lower attack stat, but they hit all enemies. At the same time, his Flare skill is more powerful than all of his single target weapons, except for the Photon Eraser, found in the Vahal Fort, during the final side quest. You only really need to equip that when you go into the final dungeon, as I'm not sure he has enough use of Flare to justify keeping the Pulse Vulcan equipped for the final boss(hopefully you do the optional Climatrol Center dungeon on Dezolis, to pick up the Pulse Vulcan in the first place).

Speaking of Dezolis, and weapons to use in battle for free techs/skills. In Zosa you can buy a Flame Sword for Chaz, and a Thunder Claw for Rika(you really only need the one for it's effect, plus with the ice digger, you can get her best weapon in a cave to the northwest of Zosa). However if you buy 2 more of each(if you can't afford them, the previously mentioned cave has some tough enemies that payoff well), put your spell users in shields and create MACRO's where they use the extra Flame Swords and Thunder Claws as items, they hold their own in battle. Flame swords against organic enemies(except the red dragonfly enemies, use the Thunder Claws on them), and the Thunder Claws on mechanical enemies.

I got tons more, but this isn't a steady PC, and others might want to chime in on this.

danzibr
3 weeks ago#5
Nice!

Yuh-oh. Is there a way to edit? I don't frequent gameFAQs (at least... not as a poster).

Looking forward to the "tons more" :)

TriforceSD
3 weeks ago#6
I've done this with FFIV and FFVI, but never thought to strip Rune of his items before he leaves the first time.

danzibr
3 weeks ago#7
TriforceSD posted...
I've done this with FFIV and FFVI, but never thought to strip Rune of his items before he leaves the first time.

My brother and I (we'd play RPGs "together") had a running joke. When someone was stripped of their equipment, they knew they were about to leave the party/die.

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
3 weeks ago#8
When you fight Igglanova, you get exp from each Xanafalgue you kill. It's good to level Hahn fast and get wat before going to zema.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
3 weeks ago#9
Considering one battle outside of Piata is worth like a dozen xanafalgues, I disagree.

I think the exp strategy has mostly been covered but here’s my take on it:
-don’t shop in Krup
-if you want to be strong in the early game, abuse Rune to level on sand newts outside Krup before Tonoe; I like to get Crosscut here
-get Rika caught up and probably clear level 10 or so in Passageway using death abilities on Meta Slugs, otherwise Juza has quite a bit of risk
-post-Zio / pre-Spaceport is a great time to grind since you have three powerful characters so they split the exp less - as a bonus, endgame Hahn, Gryz and Demi benefit from any grinding done from here on out... so take Rune into Nurvus and whip out Gigra repeatedly, rest for free somewhere, repeat until everyone’s 25ish or whatever you like
-Unless I’m trying to be low-level for some reason, I make sure I’ve got at least one shot of Warla for Kyra before Lashiec

Other than that there’s zero grinding necessary in this game. Doing more than this kind of sucks the fun out; certainly the battles are less strategic.

In other perspectives, though: the FAQs for this game on GameFAQs list recommended levels that I find absolutely bonkers: In completely normal play I finish like 10 levels earlier on average.

I hope my recommendations are still useful though.

EDIT: In this thread: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/563334-phantasy-star-iv/72656682 I did a challenge with no weapons and no shields and still beat the game 10 levels lower than the average amongst FAQs on this site. See post #32 in that topic.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
https://twitter.com/RetroFreshTV
(edited 3 weeks ago)

TriforceSD
3 weeks ago#10
Best leveling points were where those slugs can merge into a big one and then most encounters in Zio's fort.

Some nice tips. Yeah, I remember someone mentioning the leveling with Rune, Chez, and Rika. This is a good time if you want to solo Rune for more exp since no androids are present until you get Wren for the first time.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Tips and tricks?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.