Phantasy Star IV Group Playthrough

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Phantasy Star IV Group Playthrough

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
1 week ago#21
I didn't even know about the usage of weapons as items. I do think you pick up more Wood Canes in the future. Not sure if it'll still be useful at that point.

This chapter has Gryz! I wish I had a Genesis growing up and had this game. It hits many of the things I love about Mass Effect. In the case of Gryz (and the others to come), it is the diverse cast. Love having aliens in the party. Granted you don't learn too much about his race as you do in ME, but man, so great to have that guy. And his all physical approach is great and simple (just do normal attacks; do war cry first for attack buff for major battles). He should be the front party member.

Post-bioplant And of course Rika is great too. She's a great healer character, so that should solve whatever healing issues you may have. She's good with damage in the boss fights too with her double slash skill when your HP stats are good. The Deban tech (phys def buff) is critical on bosses too. She's a great addition.

User Info: looked

looked
1 week ago#22
There is only 1 wood cane, but it’s just a res spell, so it’s usefullness is limited long term anyway. There is something else later casts gires though.

I liked the fact that they expanded a bit on the Native Motavians. Prior to this game we knew very little about them. They appeared as enemies, and NPCs. But we didn’t get to know any of them, or see them in their own village. They were kind of like the Jawas from Star Wars. Same goes for the Dezolians

looked
1 week ago#23
Some thoughts from chapter 2.

I forgot to mention this last time, but we actually have access to 2 more combination attacks, right now. Create a Macro and have Hahn use Wat, and Rune use Hewn to cast Blizzard, and create a macro with Alys using Foi, and Rune using Hewn to cast firestorm. While this is cool, I actually don't reccomend doing this right now. Rune is so overpowered right now that Hewn on it's own will wipe out enemies on it's own. When Alys reaches level 8 she will gain the Zan spell, and this can be used in place of Hewn for both combo attacks. Alys Zan + Runes Foi or Flaeli will cast firestorm, and Alys Zan + Hans Wat, or Runes Wat will cast Blizzard.

Upon reaching Tonoe unequip the wood cane, and DO NOT sell it. It may not be clear on how to unequip things, just bring up the equip menu, and hit left.

Hahn kind of sucks at attacking, and defense. It's probably a good idea to give him 2 shields and let him use the Wood Cane as much as possible.

I like that the shops tell you who can equip what, but it would be nice if they told you whether it was an upgrade or not.

How exactly does Grandfather Dorin know Alys Measurements? And Why did she have to interrupt him!

I was curious if the second Igglanova fight was beefed up, or if it was the same thing as the beginning of the game, but nope, he still goes down with 5 Vortexes.

Another Easter egg in Nayla, Chaz finds a Game Gear!

http://imgur.com/wrgD9PJ

I think the wreckage may be an optional area, and feel like the only reason it's there was to tie Phantasy Star 3 into the rest of the series.

In Aiedo don't pay the ridiculous price for the Inn, Alys lives there, and you can sleep at her house for free.

I highly reccomend doing the hunters guild mission. It's probably the hardest fight up to this point so far, but you get so much exp. I think I gained 5 levels. It kind of reminds me of the Midgar Zolom fight from Final Fantasy 7

My End of chapter levels are Gryz 17, Alys 15, Chaz 16, Rika 16, Hahn 16. No idea how Chaz passed Alys.
(edited 1 week ago)

looked
4 days ago#24
Chapter 3

Welcome back protectors! In this chapter we will be traveling to Kadary, making a raid on Zio's Fort, returning Krup, making a quick stop at the Machine center, visiting the town of Monsen, and then finishing up the chapter by exploring the Plate System. Optionally the next side quest opens up in Aiedo after you get the hovercraft As always, share your tips, strategies, likes/dislikes etc.

@gamemaster712
We seem to getting through these chapters pretty quickly. Do you want speed up the chapters a bit? What I mean is that I could post a new chapter every 3-5 days, instead waiting a full 7. Let me know what works for you.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
4 days ago#25
I’ve been juggling games do haven’t played this much.
I’m cool with anything.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
4 days ago#26
Getting new recruit up to speed at wreckage
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

onoturtle
3 days ago#27
I have mixed feelings about the events at Zio's Fort. Don't read until you wrap up that sequence. I had viewed Alys as the main character. It is not common to have a female lead during this era of JRPGs. I haven't played it but I know the first game already did this with Alis. And with a similar name I thought they'd returned to this. I was surprised that they didn't. Chaz is the MC and Alys dies in order to give Chaz room to grow. I'm annoyed the female lead dies. But on the other hand, she's already way experienced so perhaps if Chaz had died instead, her journey wouldn't be as fulfilling. So yeah, mixed feelings about it.

Any how, I'm traveling for the rest of the month, so I'm going to be MIA.
(edited 3 days ago)

looked
3 days ago#28
gamemaster712 posted...
I’ve been juggling games do haven’t played this much.
I’m cool with anything.

That’s fine, I was worried we moving through them too quickly.

looked
3 days ago#29
onoturtle posted...
I have mixed feelings about the events at Zio's Fort. Don't read until you wrap up that sequence. I had viewed Alys as the main character. It is not common to have a female lead during this era of JRPGs. I haven't played it but I know the first game already did this with Alis. And with a similar name I thought they'd returned to this. I was surprised that they didn't. Chaz is the MC and Alys dies in order to give Chaz room to grow. I'm annoyed the female lead dies. But on the other hand, she's already way experienced so perhaps if Chaz had died instead, her journey wouldn't be as fulfilling. So yeah, mixed feelings about it.

Any how, I'm traveling for the rest of the month, so I'm going to be MIA.

Those are actually chapter 4 spoilers, don't read until post chapter 4.

Regarding the names Alis, and Alys, that was the work of the English translators. It was probably meant as a homage, but it caused a lot of confusion. Alys is called Lyla in the Japanese version. Other than the name they have almost nothing in common.

Chapter 4 Spoilers

I have similar feelings about Alys. She may not be the main character, but she was definately the team leader, one of the better characters early, in both battle, and character development, and she was just overall a total badass. The death of a main character has almost become a trope at this point, but this is one case where it really has an emotional impact. But as you said, it was necessary for Chaz to develop. Had Alys continued to be such a badass throughout the entire game, Chaz would've just been her side kick, no matter how strong he go.

@onoturtle Enjoy your travels!

onoturtle
3 days ago#30
looked posted...
Those are actually chapter 4 spoilers, don't read until post chapter 4.

Regarding the names Alis, and Alys, that was the work of the English translators. It was probably meant as a homage, but it caused a lot of confusion. Alys is called Lyla in the Japanese version. Other than the name they have almost nothing in common.

Oops, sorry about that. I did look over a FAQ to jog my memory of this chapter's areas. I guess area revisits may have confused me.

Interesting tidbit about the translation. IV is the only PS game I've played so far. Loved it so I'm definitely planning on checking out the others. Probably will do the first game first. I hear it has, along with II, complicated dungeons, so I'll probably follow a guide. I'm not really a fan of first person dungeon crawling, but since it is about 20h long, I probably have a decent chance to get through it vs the other crawler I have in my backlog, Persona Q, that is a giant 60+h game. Modern RPGs get too long!
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Phantasy Star IV Group Playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.