Phantasy Star IV Group Playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Phantasy Star IV Group Playthrough

User Info: looked

looked
7 months ago#1
Hello Gamers!

Welcome the Group Playthrough of Phantasy Star 4. The idea is simple, each week will play a chapter of the game, and share our thoughts, insights, strategies, observations, or post progress. New Chapters will be posted every Wednesday.

This Playthrough is being put on by the Retro Revival board, but everyone is welcomed, and encouraged to join in, either through playing, or joining in the conversation. Don’t be afraid to join in late, the format makes it easy to catch up, so if you are reading this a few weeks into the future, come on and join in!

Post your experience, because keeping information from Alys is the sixth most dangerous thing.

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
7 months ago#2
Unfortunately, there is no in-game info on items, techs, and skills, so if you're unfamiliar with Phantasy Star, you maybe want to familiarize yourself with the consumable items at least.

However, the lists I know off, linked below, do have party member icons to denote who can equipment something, use a certain skill, etc. So it is a mild spoiler if you want to be kept in the dark of who the PCs are.

The game has tech/skill combos. You need to execute moves in a certain order, which can be difficult with manual inputs. That's where the macro system comes in.

Items: http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Items_in_Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_End_of_the_Millennium
Techs: http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Techniques_in_Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_End_of_the_Millennium
Skills: http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_in_Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_End_of_the_Millennium
Combos: http://www.phantasy-star.net/psiv/combos.html

looked
7 months ago#3
Chapter 1

We will be starting at the Academy, and then traveling to Mile, and Zema, then on to Birth Valley. From there we will travel to Molcum, and we will reach Krup where will be ending this chapter.

Feel free to play along, comment, post observations, tips etc.

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
7 months ago#4
One thing I love about this game, especially in this modern age of RPGs, is that you're in the first dungeon after a few minutes of setup. As opposed to like the crazy amounts of slow setup of RPGs from the PS and beyond era. It starts with small job, teasing you of a bigger picture that you begin to see at end of chapter.

Also within the first few minutes, you're presented with its version of "cutscenes." You get manga-like images during critical scenes. I can't really think of any RPGs during this era that had something like this. I think it is fantastic! Maybe I'm easily amused. I still think the cinematics of NES Ninja Gaiden games are so cool haha

looked
7 months ago#5
Part of what makes this game so great is that everything seems to happen so quick. It doesn’t feel rushed or anything, but they pack so much in that it feels like you are playing a 40 hour epic, when it’s barely a 20 hour game. You should see the faster walking speed of The PS collection though, now that does feel too fast!

Honestly I can’t really think of any games that are use cutscenes in such a way.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
7 months ago#6
I’ve tracked this topic...
With my ultra sun dex complete and mgr playthrough done for the most part I can get things rolling soon
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

looked
7 months ago#7
Awesome, welcome aboard gamemaster.

looked
7 months ago#8
I was considering Playing this game on Sonics Ultimate Sega Genesis collection, but this format can lead to more grinding during down time, so I chose the Playstation 2 Phantasy Star Collection instead. This game, along with the Virtual Console release are the only official versions that fix the level 99 bug, so If I do decide to grind, it won't be an issue.

While scrolling through the options I noticed that this game supports 480p output, and 16:9 Widescreen. So it looks great on a modern tv.That's pretty good for a playstation 2 game.

A few thoughts from chapter 1:

I always wondered if you were actually gaining money from Alys Extorting Hahn, or if it was just a story element, but you actually do! He might even be your best source of money at this point. Oddly enough though, you don't get paid for doing the actual job, unless that comes at the hunters guild later, but I don't think it does.

Igglanova the boss in the basement dies after 5 Vortex's. Which is exactly how many Alys has at this point. How convenient

Alys expresses shock at The Professor being turned to stone even though the Pricipal told her his story, and she just walked through a town where everyone was turned to stone.

This isn't my own observation, I read this somewhere a long time ago, but it's interesting that Rune says something like "Chaz you said you name was" Even though his name had never been mentioned up to that point in the conversation

A few gameplay tips for first timers.

Once chaz hits level 4, you can do your first combo attack. Set up a Macro where Hahn casts wat, Alys casts Foi, and Chaz casts Tsu, and when used in a battle you will cast triblaster. It will drain chazs TP quick at this point, but if you are near an inn, and need to build a few levels or gain money, it will end every random battle at this point

Weapons as items in battle. There are a bunch of weapons and equipment in this game that can be used as an infinite use item in battle. You get your first one when Rune joins. The wood cane casts res, a healing spell when used an item, so it can be used as an infinite source of healing that doesn't use any tp.

Party Order. The enemies in battle will actually attack you based on the order your characters walk in, characters in the front get attacked most often, so put a tank in the front, and put the squishy characters last. Rune is overleveled when he first joins, put him in front.

Anyway Im at the end of the first chapter, my characters are Rune 17, Alys 7 Chaz 5, Hahn 5.

gamemaster712
7 months ago#9
Maybe some spoiler marks would be useful...
🤭
Started playing and got Chaz and Hahn to 4 already
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

gamemaster712
7 months ago#10
Last known point:
Going through a monster infested basement for some stone reversal meds....
Must get new member to level 9 or above
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Phantasy Star IV Group Playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived