Which character would have the most difficult solo run? (Possible spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Which character would have the most difficult solo run? (Possible spoilers)

User Info: etony33

etony33
10 months ago#21
What Gryz *does* have going for him is high defense and HP. He is weak to Factor 5, so the Xe-A-Thoul battle is outrageously difficult. Even at level 99, you can get screwed by the RNG.

Seth is still probably harder, though. Corrosion is Factor 1 and deals physical damage (which doesn't make sense, but that's how it is). Gryz can't equip daggers, so he can't use a shield unless he has two and is strictly using Thunderclaw/Tornado Dagger/Flamesword/Mahlay Dagger as an item. Sweeping, like similar skills (Crosscut, etc), has no elemental factor assigned to it. Gryz's weapon determines that. In practice, it'll be F2 for most of the game (Laser Axe), which is better than Factor 1 because very few enemies resist it.

Seth is immune to Factor 11 (Evil Eye, Mindblast) and Factor 13 (Stasis Ball), both of which are really significant.

User Info: Blast-Beat-Pete

Blast-Beat-Pete
10 months ago#22
Quite interesting stuff that is brought up here regarding Gryz's weakness.

Can anyone provide a complete list of weaknesses/resistances/immunities for each character?

etony33
10 months ago#23
FreshFeeling can. I don't have the url handy for his dump right now, but I can go over it.

Alys, Chaz, Hahn, Rune, Rika, and Kyra are normal (immune to F8/Holyword and F12/Mechanical, resistant to F9/Brose). Raja is the same way, with two exceptions: he resists F5 (Water) and is weak to F3 (Fire). Gryz is the inverse of Raja, weak to F5 and resistant to F3.

The androids (Demi, Wren) are weak to F7 (Electric), resistant to F3 (Fire) and F5 (Water), and immune to F8 (Holyword), F10 (Biological), F11 (Psychic), and F13 (Efess)

Seth is the oddball. He is resistant to F9 (Brose) and F10 (Biological) and immune to F8 (Holyword), F11 (Psychic), F12 (Mechanical), and F13 (Efess).

User Info: Blast-Beat-Pete

Blast-Beat-Pete
9 months ago#24
etony33 posted...
Alys, Chaz, Hahn, Rune, Rika, and Kyra are normal (immune to F8/Holyword and F12/Mechanical, resistant to F9/Brose). Raja is the same way, with two exceptions: he resists F5 (Water) and is weak to F3 (Fire). Gryz is the inverse of Raja, weak to F5 and resistant to F3.

The differences between Raja and Gryz actually make sense as one is from a desert planet and the other is from a more snowy one. I never noticed that, but I really love all those details in old games that (normally) not really influence a regular playthough.

etony33 posted...

The androids (Demi, Wren) are weak to F7 (Electric), resistant to F3 (Fire) and F5 (Water), and immune to F8 (Holyword), F10 (Biological), F11 (Psychic), and F13 (Efess)

Yeah, I knew the most of them. Also great how this little changes make Androids feel so different from the other characters.

Can it be that Parma-Ring grants F7 protection? I am pretty sure that Wren takes much less damage from F7 attacks once you he equips it.

etony33 posted...

Seth is the oddball. He is resistant to F9 (Brose) and F10 (Biological) and immune to F8 (Holyword), F11 (Psychic), F12 (Mechanical), and F13 (Efess).

That is really odd, I would have expected that he is weak to Efess and Holyword (even if I knew no enemy that uses this type of attacks).

Which mails/helmets do actually give resistances? Besides the obvious (Ceramic), I only knew about the shields.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
9 months ago#25
I think Alys would be the hardest solo. You'd probably have trouble getting past Zio with her. ;)

Seriously, though, interesting thread!
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
9 months ago#26
Dawnshadow posted...
I think Alys would be the hardest solo. You'd probably have trouble getting past Zio with her. ;)

Seriously, though, interesting thread!

She's fine as long as Chaz isn't in the party ;)
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

etony33
9 months ago#27
I thought I responded to this, but it must not have gone through for some reason. Anyway...

Blast-Beat-Pete posted...
The differences between Raja and Gryz actually make sense as one is from a desert planet and the other is from a more snowy one.

The same thing applies to biomonsters. Motavian biomonsters are weak to F5 and resist F3, and the opposite is true for Dezolisian biomonsters. This is what makes Wat/Giwat/Nawat so effective on Motavia.

Can it be that Parma-Ring grants F7 protection? I am pretty sure that Wren takes much less damage from F7 attacks once you he equips it.

Yes, the Palma-Ring does grant F7 resistance.

That is really odd, I would have expected that he is weak to Efess and Holyword (even if I knew no enemy that uses this type of attacks).

There actually are a few F13 enemy abilities, though they certainly don't seem to have much in common with Efess or St. Fire. These are: Poison, Poisonmist, and Statisball. The first two don't really matter, but being immune to Stasisball is so, so, so handy during a Seth solo run, because he can grind in Vahal Fort without having to worry about a Life Deleter giving him an instant Game Over. I bet you never thought of that happening in solo runs, but it's true - paralysis of your one character means that there aren't any other characters who can act, so it's game over. Raja got ambushed by Flyscreamers in Ladea Tower too many times to count, and their physical attack has a supplemental paralysis to it.

As far as Holyword is concerned, DF3 is immune to it, as all bosses are (except for the quasi bosses Chaos Sorcerer and D-Elm-Lars who become random encounters later on.

Which mails/helmets do actually give resistances? Besides the obvious (Ceramic), I only knew about the shields.

Mota Ring grants F3 resistance and Dezo Ring grants F5 resistance. I'm fairly certain that Ceramic anything grants F3 resistance. Plasma Field grants F2 resistance and Psy equipment grants F11 resistance. I don't think there's anything else like that, but I could be wrong.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
9 months ago#28
I could actually try a solo run, though I need to find my cart. I was doing grinding to see how powerful Alys gets at higher levels. I can't describe how stupid i thought it was that she was not able to stay till the end, as she seemed pretty good. I have no doubt she could take on the later bosses without a hitch. Hahn is pretty good too at high levels, which surprised me. He just seemed fragile at lower levels. Before everything was said and done, my whole party was in the low to mid 60's and next mission was to go against Zio.

Can't recall how bad Rune is to keep alive, but i'm assuming he'll be around the same level when he rejoins.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

etony33
9 months ago#29
If you're not using the party select hack, Chaz would be the only one you could actually do from start to finish.

In the case of Rune, one of the more difficult parts of the solo run is the very beginning of the game (Piata academy) with Rune at level 1. He is VERY fragile, though less so than Raja.

etony33
9 months ago#30
In regards to Alys, I haven't done a solo run with her, but I am guessing it would be moderately difficult. She's inferior to Kyra because she doesn't learn healing techs.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Which character would have the most difficult solo run? (Possible spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived