Which character would have the most difficult solo run? (Possible spoilers)

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Which character would have the most difficult solo run? (Possible spoilers)

User Info: etony33

etony33
4 months ago#1
Certainly not Chaz, Wren, Rika, or Kyra. Probably not Demi, either. Alys can equip heavy armor and shields, which makes up for her lack of healing techs, so not her, either.

That leaves Hahn, Rune, Gryz, Raja, and Seth.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
4 months ago#2
I think we've learned that solo Rune is pretty much impossible for an unassisted human player. Someone - abaxa? - was attempting them all a few years ago and Rune was the stopping point.
I'll try digging up the topic(s) at some point when I'm not on mobile.

EDIT: it was HaShrike, and Rune wasn't the only bad run.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563334-phantasy-star-iv?search=Solo
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
https://twitter.com/RetroFreshTV
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
4 months ago#3
Of those 5 I would think Hahn would have the easiest time since he has healing and offensive spells unlike Raja.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

etony33
4 months ago#4
I've been doing solo Raja. The beginning of the game and a couple battles (Gy-Laugiah and Sa-Lews) were tough. Beyond that, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I still have to finish grinding and beat the game, though. Maybe I'll try Rune next.

etony33
4 months ago#5
It took all 32 Blessing charges(!), well over 1000 TP (7 uses of Ataraxia, plus the 524 he has normally), about 20 Sol Dews, and a ton of close calls, but Raja defeated the Profound Darkness at level 90.

etony33
4 months ago#6
In retrospect, I should have gone with the Mahlay Dagger's Nafoi instead of the Thunder Claw's Tandle. Didn't think of it until afterwards.

etony33
4 months ago#7
Rune has made it to level 80, and only the final battle remains. Endgame grinding is much easier for Rune than it was for Raja, and there are two reasons for that: Tandle and Negatis. Raja avoided Vahal Fort because St. Fire and Holyword aren't helpful there.

etony33
4 months ago#8
I've also started a Seth solo run, which I switch to when I get bored with Vahal Fort. The beginning of the game is MUCH easier due to Seth having high agility. Most of the game will be more difficult.

etony33
4 months ago#9
After my test fight with PD just now with Rune at level 90, I can definitively say that it's not only not impossible, it could be done with room to spare. Just an extra 20-30 HP would give me all the buffer I need, because it would mean I wouldn't have to burn Sol Dews with 175+ HP to protect against Shadow Breath (the extra HP would give me enough room after a Ray Breath/Fire Breath combo (PD1), Light Shower/Light Shower combo (PD2), or a Megid/Attack combo (PD3).

That's without me possibly tweaking my strategy a bit. I could use more Efess charges against the first form (I went with 5, then used Legeon/Nawat the rest of the way). I could also maybe wear the Guard Robe instead of the Reflect Robe, which would give me considerably more DEF (72 vs 58) at the cost of 3 MDEF (20 vs 17).

etony33
4 months ago#10
&%$# @$%& Evil Eye. Rune seems to have a much tougher time waking up than Raja did.

I have two Psy Shields equipped, giving a Factor 11 resistance. Would equipping a Psy Circlet on top of it be helpful in that regard? I'm not exactly sure how that works. Anyway, I'll be able to beat him if I just get a bit luckier with Evil Eye/Megid/Megid derailing my battle.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Which character would have the most difficult solo run? (Possible spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.