So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

User Info: etony33

etony33
7 months ago#31
Well, I stand corrected. Wow. I changed his F2 resistance from 02 to 0A. A physical attack before Cancelling did 13, and afterwards, it did 999. I don't have time to test it more right this minute, but I can mess with it later.

etony33
7 months ago#32
It would seemingly only impact the Plasma Field and Psy equipment. In fact, it could actually hurt PD if Seth or Hahn has a knife and a Psy Shield equipped, because the game reads that as a Factor 11 attack for some reason, and PD is immune to F11.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
7 months ago#33
^
Except that your highest attack factor is what counts... like using a Crmcshield and a Claw against a Zol Slug or something, the Crmcshield is the part that matters.
This will be much easier to test by watching character's in-battle elemental values in memory but I don't expect to be able focus do this for a good while.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
https://twitter.com/RetroFreshTV

etony33
7 months ago#34
Hmm...so equipping a Saber Claw and Ceramic Shield would do normal damage to an enemy who resists F3, but extra damage to an enemy who is weak to it?

I was under the impression that the Ceramic Shield, Psy Shield, and Plasma Field changed the elemental factor of the weapon, whether it was beneficial or harmful.

There's a lot I still have to learn, and it's really cool that we are still learning things about a game that is almost 25 years old.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
7 months ago#35
It's funny that there are still unanswered questions about this game 24 years after it came out.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

etony33
7 months ago#36
There are actually quite a few unanswered questions, most notably encounter data/item drops.

etony33
7 months ago#37
Now I have to do a bunch of math to figure out whether the Reflect Shield is better for Seth solo than the Plasma Field (or, possibly a third option, one of each and just using the Mahlay Dagger Nafoi to deal damage.

etony33
7 months ago#38
I don't need to continue doing math. The Plasma Field is still the superior choice by far. Even if it doesn't protect against Factor 2 after Cancelling, it still protects against Ray Breath and PD2's physical attack (plus any attacks from PD3 prior to the Cancelling). Reflect Shield gives +1 DEF and +5 MDEF over the Plasma Field, which isn't significant enough to justify using it.

User Info: Blast-Beat-Pete

Blast-Beat-Pete
7 months ago#39
etony33 posted...
Hmm...so equipping a Saber Claw and Ceramic Shield would do normal damage to an enemy who resists F3, but extra damage to an enemy who is weak to it?

I was under the impression that the Ceramic Shield, Psy Shield, and Plasma Field changed the elemental factor of the weapon, whether it was beneficial or harmful.

There's a lot I still have to learn, and it's really cool that we are still learning things about a game that is almost 25 years old.

etony33 posted...
I don't need to continue doing math. The Plasma Field is still the superior choice by far. Even if it doesn't protect against Factor 2 after Cancelling, it still protects against Ray Breath and PD2's physical attack (plus any attacks from PD3 prior to the Cancelling). Reflect Shield gives +1 DEF and +5 MDEF over the Plasma Field, which isn't significant enough to justify using it.

Yeah, it is always beneficial only, when you have 2 different attack types (from shield/dagger/slasher/claw) the more efficient is used. But the crmc-shield is the only shield where it is of notable relevance, as the most combinations with the plasma-field include weapons with F1 (moonslasher/mahlay-dagger) and no enemy is weaker to F1 than F2. And the flyscreamer enemy is the only one where the F11 of the py-shield will be used.

etony33
7 months ago#40
The only time I can think of off the top of my head where the Plasma Field would modify the damage of a weapon would be if Rika had a Thunderclaw equipped and attacked, say, a Dimension Worm (or similar enemies that resist F7, but not F2).

That would almost never happen, though.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived