So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
7 months ago#21
^
More than just because Devon/Blessing/Warla was cancelled? I've never observed what you're describing (though it's totally possible that I've overlooked it).
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
https://twitter.com/RetroFreshTV

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
7 months ago#22
Blast-Beat-Pete posted...
etony33 posted...
That would be nice, but too bad that PD3 cancellation skill seems to remove resistances from equipment too. I'm not sure if this was intended by the creators of the game, but it makes the skill even more dangerous.

I just discovered this while fighting PD with a low level 4 chars team. I putted Rika with plasma-field and silver tusk in the first position to tank most regular attacks, but after the usage of cancellation the regular attacks of PD3 also did full damage to her instead of close to no damage.

Interesting. I would be curious if that is indeed what happened there for your damage numbers to change.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: etony33

etony33
6 months ago#23
That would be nice, but too bad that PD3 cancellation skill seems to remove resistances from equipment too. I'm not sure if this was intended by the creators of the game, but it makes the skill even more dangerous.

I just discovered this while fighting PD with a low level 4 chars team. I putted Rika with plasma-field and silver tusk in the first position to tank most regular attacks, but after the usage of cancellation the regular attacks of PD3 also did full damage to her instead of close to no damage.

I'm almost 100% certain that isn't true. PD3 just has a really high (354) attack power.

It would be a dramatic increase if the damage multiplier was 2 instead of 1. More likely, as FreshFeeling said, it had to do with your buffs being canceled. I am working on a Seth solo right now, and he brings the Plasma Field to the final battle. So long as he had the Mahlay Shield's Deban up, there wasn't any significant difference between the damage before Cancelling and after it.

There is one surefire way to find out: give Seth a Psy Shield for the battle with PD. If Evil Eye still works after a Cancelling, then it doesn't have any effect on resistances. Seth is immune to Factor 11, but equipment that alters resistances also strips away whatever resistances the character inherently has (in other words, equipping a Psy Shield would actually make Seth more vulnerable to Factor 11). I've never seen Evil Eye not work in that battle against anyone who isn't immune to it. PD3's mental is way too high.

etony33
6 months ago#24
I just thought of an even easier way to test this.

I'll change the Factor 2 resistance to Factor 2 immunity for the Plasma Field, give PD1 and PD2 1 HP apiece in order to quickly get to the third form, and I'll see if the physical attack does more than 1 damage after a Cancelling.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
6 months ago#25
etony33 posted...
I just thought of an even easier way to test this.

I'll change the Factor 2 resistance to Factor 2 immunity for the Plasma Field, give PD1 and PD2 1 HP apiece in order to quickly get to the third form, and I'll see if the physical attack does more than 1 damage after a Cancelling.

I think you will 1 hit kill PD if you do that won't you? If I'm not mistaken PD needs to get to 50% health or less on it's current form to transform and if it gets to 0 it dies without transforming. I might be remembering incorrectly though.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: Blast-Beat-Pete

Blast-Beat-Pete
6 months ago#26
I tryed it again yesterday with another gamesave and noted down the damage ranges that occured while fighting PD.

Lvl 50 Rika, 188 Def (Plasma Field, Silver Tusk, Guard Mail, Mota Ring)

Damage range from PD3s attack:

Without Deban, before Cancelling was used: 1hp to 24hp
With Deban, before getting hit by Cancelling: always 1 hp
after Cancelling, without applying Deban afterwards: 150 hp to 210 hp
after Cancelling, with reapplying Deban afterwards: 130 hp to 170 hp

Or does anyone know another reason to explain this gap between the damage values? I observed the same issue with Hahn and Kyra too.

etony33 posted...
There is one surefire way to find out: give Seth a Psy Shield for the battle with PD. If Evil Eye still works after a Cancelling, then it doesn't have any effect on resistances. Seth is immune to Factor 11, but equipment that alters resistances also strips away whatever resistances the character inherently has (in other words, equipping a Psy Shield would actually make Seth more vulnerable to Factor 11). I've never seen Evil Eye not work in that battle against anyone who isn't immune to it. PD3's mental is way too high.

Unfortunately I never hacked PS IV, but I guess "removing" was a bad choice to describe it.
It changes the resistance back to it's base value would be more accurate way to describe it.

etony33
6 months ago#27
^That's really interesting. I wasn't able to replicate it on my game (it did I think 13 damage before Cancelling and 18 afterwards). I should be making a Seth solo vs PD video soon enough (lategame grinding with Seth is just so...incredibly...tedious), and he will definitely have the Plasma Field equipped.

etony33
6 months ago#28
I think you will 1 hit kill PD if you do that won't you? If I'm not mistaken PD needs to get to 50% health or less on it's current form to transform and if it gets to 0 it dies without transforming. I might be remembering incorrectly though.

Disregard my whole comment. I'm an idiot and apparently was thinking clearly last night.

I can't change the Plasma Field's resistance to anything other than 1 or 2. I probably can, however, make Megid Factor 2 instead of Factor 6.

etony33
6 months ago#29
Unfortunately I never hacked PS IV, but I guess "removing" was a bad choice to describe it.
It changes the resistance back to it's base value would be more accurate way to describe it.

Seth has Factor 11 immunity as an inherent characteristic. He shares this with only Wren and Demi. Equipping the Psy Shield actually overrides this, and gives him resistance rather than immunity. So, if Cancelling reset his resistance to its base value, he'd become immune to Evil Eye for the rest of the battle.

etony33
6 months ago#30
Changing character resistances seems to only work at the start of a new game. So, I'm going to try a couple things. I'll post my results shortly.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived