So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

User Info: etony33

etony33
8 months ago#1
I was able to do it with a level 99 Chaz, Algo Ring, Elsydeon, and Psy Mail, and a ton of save state abuse. Chaz has 635 HP, so he needs to be able to hit Re-Faze twice between Sol Dews. That means Megid can do no more than 211.33 damage per use.

After a certain point, you can begin to alternate healing and damage dealing. The following figures are for after using the Power Shield. Crosscut does around 515 per use, and there are 39 charges, adding up to about 20,085. Re-Faze has 32767 HP, so you need to deal the remaining 12,682 damage by attacking, Rayblade, or Airslash, all of which do about 415 on average. That comes out to 31 attacks.

You will need the three vehicles, Aeroprism, Rykros Ring, Power Shield, and Swift Helm (not strictly necessary, but strongly recommended). You can give the Psycho Wand to Rune or Raja. Fill the other 33 spots with Sol Dew. Chaz has enough TP to cast Nares 40 times, but once you run out of Sol Dew, you'll need to use Nares two out of every three turns to keep up (and the healing from 3 Nares must exceed the damage from 2 Megid). So, you get 53 heals, and you need to deal damage 70 times. That means that you must survive 3 uses of Megid without healing 18 times. It could hypothetically be done on a cartridge, but I wouldn't recommend trying.

Also, there's something I am having trouble understanding: based on my understanding on how magic defense works, the Reflect Mail should be far superior to the Psy Mail in reducing the damage from Megid, but it doesn't seem to be (though I haven't tested it extensively). Can anyone here explain exactly how this works?

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
7 months ago#2
Reflect mail gives +14 magic defense.
Psy mail gives +4 magic defense plus +2 mental, which gives more magic defense.

The question is how much magic def. gives that +2 mtl. I'm sure it's more than 2 mdfs.

User Info: beserkker2010

beserkker2010
7 months ago#3
my brother actually beat re-faze on the cartridge. he did have to level up to around 99. i never had the patience to level up that much.

etony33
7 months ago#4
beserkker2010 posted...
my brother actually beat re-faze on the cartridge. he did have to level up to around 99. i never had the patience to level up that much.

Compared to how long it would take, on average, to beat Re-Faze on the cartridge, the amount of time it would take to grind to level 99 is miniscule. You'd have to get Chaz to gain enough experience so that he'd get to level 99 before Wren, then just go into Vahal Fort with only Chaz and Wren alive and get to work.

User Info: FD3S

FD3S
7 months ago#5
I honestly didn't think this was possible without cheating, period. Even if this would take a fair bit of RNG love, it's awesome to see that Re-Faze's Megid spam can be surpassed!
It's not a dream. FD3S is real!
www.sloganizer.com

etony33
7 months ago#6
Not only is it possible, you actually have a bit of room to spare IF Megid is kept to 210 damage or less each time.

If you guys would actually be interested in seeing it, I could record the battle from start to finish, but it takes probably a minimum of 3 or 4 hours.

User Info: The Masked Mage

The Masked Mage
7 months ago#7
I'd just like to see what happens after you beat him.
Laissez les bons temps rouler.

etony33
7 months ago#8
The Masked Mage posted...
I'd just like to see what happens after you beat him.

In that case, here.

https://youtu.be/Yrj2aP9Z2zQ

User Info: The Masked Mage

The Masked Mage
7 months ago#9
1 exp? Ouch. At least it didn't glitch the game out.
Laissez les bons temps rouler.

etony33
7 months ago#10
1 EXP/1 Meseta is the standard for enemies who you aren't supposed to beat. This includes, in addition to Re-Faze, Zio 1 (who is a completely different enemy than the beatable one. He just has 255 of every stat and immunity to everything), the Carnivorous Trees, Profound Darkness 1, and Profound Darkness 2 (the first two forms actually can be beaten if you mess with the stats or items. Both PD1 and PD2 transform once they hit 50% HP)
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. So, Re-Faze actually can be beaten in the vanilla game. Hypothetically, anyway.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived