Phantasy Star 4 Famicom version

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Phantasy Star 4 Famicom version

User Info: Adrastia

Adrastia
11 months ago#1
I hope this is ok to post here. There's no listing for the game since it's a pirate. This board is as close to relevant as you can get here. The game was made by Wai Xing Corporation for the Famicom. Wai Xing is infamous for these sorts of games.

Many versions of this game exist. But the ones at the Phantasy Star Cave are all broken in some way. I have heard some of them just stop at a certain point in the game. I could only get a couple of those versions to even run on emulators. There exists a fixed version though, titled Wai Xing Zhan Shi 2. I got it from a Russian site after searching for quite awhile. I believe that physical copies of this version are somewhat rare.

Wai Xing Zhan Shi 2 is the most complete version. It's not all that buggy either. I was surprised at how playable it actually was. It is a full gaming experience complete with cutscenes. Some of the cutscenes aren't half bad either.

Hahn remains unplayable. Most likely because Krup does not exist. The Island Cave leading to Soldier's Temple is closer to Piata. But that's the only town near it. What I labeled as Termi may be a version of Krup instead though. Since I cannot read Chinese I had to wing it with many things and go by my best judgement. I am assuming names of characters and places were changed to Chinese names. But I really can't confirm.

The game is playable without knowledge of Chinese. I had very little problem getting through the game. Most of the issues were due to certain gameflow elements being changed and the absence of many towns. There are no side quests save for the Weapons Plant. But no dialog for the dungeon will come up when you enter.

Playing the original game before this one is very helpful. I think I had a much easier time because of that. The weapons, armor and items all have graphic icons in the shop. So you know what you are buying.

One interesting note is that due to the absence of Krup when Alys is hit by the black energy wave she is taken to Tonoe. A unique cutscene with Grandfather Dorin will be played when Alys dies. I have read that originally Alys was supposed to be taken to Tonoe and this was later changed to Krup. It might be a coincidence and it probably is. But it's a very interesting thing nonetheless.

Also, guess where the Machine Center is? Near Tonoe! XD

It's completely mountainlocked and once you get the land rover you are forced to teleport to another town to make any real use out of it. I guess that's the consequence of the game not having Krup. You'd think "why can't I just go back through the Valley Maze"? Well you can't. Because they neglected to add a warp point leading back in from the Tonoe region.

As a personal project I made a FAQ, walkthrough and charts. It was just for fun. I don't know if it will ever be useful. There are also screenshots and videos of every cutscene and various glitches. I haven't seen anything else like this around and I think that games with little or no info need more attention. That's why I don't waste my time writing the seven millionth FF7 or OoT FAQ in existence.

If interested check it out here: http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/synapse/videogames/ps4nes.html
The gate to tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness of the depths of the earth...... - Vincent FF7

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
11 months ago#2
It's completely mountainlocked and once you get the land rover you are forced to teleport to another town to make any real use out of it. I guess that's the consequence of the game not having Krup. You'd think "why can't I just go back through the Valley Maze"? Well you can't. Because they neglected to add a warp point leading back in from the Tonoe region.

Thanks for posting this, read about this some time ago in your page.

From a logic point of view, it's not good game design not being able to go back the way you came.

But, when you have played PSIV a lot of times, you rarely go walking from Tonoe to Zema.

My guess is they did not put the warp point on purpose, maybe to make the player think how to get out of the town (?), or the betatesters just telepiped and never thought about walking back to the valley.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Phantasy Star 4 Famicom version

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived