Re-Faze and mitigating Megid damage

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Re-Faze and mitigating Megid damage

User Info: etony33

etony33
11 months ago#1
I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but...

Lv99 Chaz has 635 HP. If I can figure out a way to get Megid from Re-Faze to do 634 or less damage over three castings, each time, and if I can go before Re-Faze each time Chaz is at critical health, I would be able to beat Re-Faze.

Is there any armor or helmet that reduces damage from Factor 6 (Megid)? Failing that, would any buff (that is accessible from equipment) reduce the damage? I think - but am not positive - that it'd be possible, though prohibitively difficult, in a tool assisted run, though I'm not positive that save states could be manipulated to alter damage output, as I haven't tried.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
11 months ago#2
To the big questions,
-No, sadly nothing protects against Factor 6 (Megid). Would've been cool on the Algo-Ring to make Chaz even more invaluable against endboss, but that was a missed opportunity.
-No, the only buff that exists to reduce the damage is Barrier; nothing from equips.

I wonder about Chaz's maximum resistance value with shields though. Does your strategy require a sword?
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."

etony33
11 months ago#3
The strategy involves using Crosscut (which does ~550 damage with Elsydeon after using the Power Shield) and Rayblade (which does ~400, maybe slightly more).

So, unfortunately, I don't think equipping a shield would work. It would reduce the damage that Chaz takes, but he wouldn't be able to do as much damage, so it would be a wash at best.

With Algo Ring/Elsydeon/Guard Mail, Chaz takes about 240 damage from each Megid. I have seen him receive less than 210, which means it is possible, though prohibitively difficult, with save state abuse. If you sell the Guard Rod and equip Rune with the Psycho Wand, you have room for 34 Sol Dew. It would need to be Crosscut/Crosscut/Sol Dew until you run out of Sol Dew, at which point you would need to switch to Nares/Nares/Crosscut (and Rayblade when he runs out of Crosscut charges). Re-Faze has 32,767 HP.

etony33
11 months ago#4
With Megid doing <635 damage over three castings, thus enabling Chaz to use Crosscut twice for each Sol-Dew, Chaz can do 21,450 damage, at which point he'd have one turn to use Rayblade before needing to use another Sol-Dew (for a total of 21,850 damage, assuming average damage with Crosscut. Even in a tool assisted battle, the chances of getting a close to max damage Crosscut AND a weak Megid are virtually nil. The extra turns are far more important, as you will see).

At that point, Chaz will have 14 Sol-Dew and 20 Rayblade charges. Re-Faze will have around 3,000 HP remaining by the time Chaz runs out of Rayblade charges. At that point, he can switch to Airslash, which does slightly less damage, but it doesn't really matter. Once Chaz runs out of Sol-Dew, he can switch to Nares/Nares/Attack (with Airslash or whatever). The total HP recovered from the two Nares must exceed the damage suffered from the three Megid.

Also, Chaz must ALWAYS go first in any turn where he is healing and Megid would kill him. In a tool assisted run, this isn't a big deal necessarily, it's just aggravating.

So, theoretically possible, if Chaz has insane luck with Megid damage AND always goes first when he has to heal. That's why it is effectively impossible unless it's tool assisted (it's possible in the same sense that winning Powerball is possible).

If there was some way to alter his equipment so that Megid did <210 damage to him regularly, it would be possible without it being tool assistance (though still very difficult, because Re-Faze going first when Chaz was in critical health would obviously wipe him out).

etony33
11 months ago#5
I wanna beat Re-Faze :(

It is *almost* possible, and that's infuriating. It isn't like Zio 1 or, from Phantasy Star II, Army Eye. More like Neifirst with only Nei in PS2, though that's actually possible.

etony33
11 months ago#6
Hmmmmm...

Level 1 Chaz with the Shadowblade equipped. I have no clue whether or not this would work (it's extremely doubtful), but it's a thought.

FreshFeeling
11 months ago#7
etony33 posted...
If you sell the Guard Rod and equip Rune with the Psycho Wand, you have room for 34 Sol Dew.

It's easy to unload the Psyco-Wand by giving it to Raja. Depending when you do this you can also get rid of it permanently (some would say that is a dumb choice).
etony33 posted...
At that point, he can switch to Airslash, which does slightly less damage, but it doesn't really matter. Once Chaz runs out of Sol-Dew, he can switch to Nares/Nares/Attack (with Airslash or whatever).

Airslash just does regular attack damage though... with the minor benefit of never missing and the minor hindrance of never criticalling. I forget Re-Faze's Agility and even knowing it it's hard to say with certainty, but regular attacks might be a pretty solid choice.

etony33 posted...
Level 1 Chaz with the Shadowblade equipped.

With, what, 25 HP? Not sure about this. Level 1 Chaz also has no Crosscut or offensive techs. Level 4 Chaz with Shadwblade is fun to mess around with, but not in solo play, let alone against Re-Faze.

Now...
What about buggy level 99 party Chaz with Shadwblade? If he somehow got a copy of Wren's stats that could be pretty fantastic.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."

etony33
11 months ago#8
It's easy to unload the Psyco-Wand by giving it to Raja. Depending when you do this you can also get rid of it permanently (some would say that is a dumb choice).

I guess you're right that I could give it to Raja. Doing so before he leaves your party would almost certainly be unwise, as it makes the fight against Lashiec way easier.

Airslash just does regular attack damage though... with the minor benefit of never missing and the minor hindrance of never criticalling. I forget Re-Faze's Agility and even knowing it it's hard to say with certainty, but regular attacks might be a pretty solid choice.

All Re-Faze does is use Megid. That's it. I haven't done enough playtesting to determine the average damage output for both Rayblade and Airslash, but Crosscut is definitely the best choice (until you run out of charges).

With, what, 25 HP? Not sure about this. Level 1 Chaz also has no Crosscut or offensive techs. Level 4 Chaz with Shadwblade is fun to mess around with, but not in solo play, let alone against Re-Faze.

Yeah, guess I didn't think this through.

Now...
What about buggy level 99 party Chaz with Shadwblade? If he somehow got a copy of Wren's stats that could be pretty fantastic.

Interesting idea.

FreshFeeling
11 months ago#9
etony33 posted...

All Re-Faze does is use Megid. That's it. I haven't done enough playtesting to determine the average damage output for both Rayblade and Airslash, but Crosscut is definitely the best choice (until you run out of charges).

I was talking about Chaz's actions, not Re-Faze's. Airslash has 0 power so it's damage is basically the same as Chaz's regular attack, but regular attacks can miss and critical. If it's possible to miss Re-Faze, Airslash is better than a normal attack. If criticals aren't too uncommon, regular attacks are better than Airslash.

Not sure how Rayblade will fit into this; some careful math will tell us but I'm on my phone so I'm not doing that now. Odds are Rayblade is exactly as you say, worse than Crosscut and better than pretty much anything else.

etony33
11 months ago#10
So, Re-Faze has immunity to everything EXCEPT Factor 6. That means equipping something other than Elsydeon would absolutely not work (Elsydeon is Factor 6, whereas the vast majority of weapons are Factor 1. Silver Tusk is Factor 6, but that obviously wouldn't help).

That means that the only way Chaz can damage Re-Faze is with Rayblade, Tsu/Githu/Nathu, and physical attacks/skills with Elsydeon equipped.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. Re-Faze and mitigating Megid damage

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived