• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

User Info: KevinReconAlpha

KevinReconAlpha
1 year ago#31
Elrick75 posted...
c_s_tadsen posted...
If you're really intent on modding characters, I'd suggest putting significant time into Gryz. He feels so... unfinished, I guess might be a good word for it. Gry always felt to me like he was an after-thought or something, like the developers realized the party was too small for the part of the world they were in when he joins, and someone went, "Hey, let's make the blue guy stick around. Give him a couple crap skills, no techs, and weak-ass election of gear and call it a day." Every other character feels like substantially more thought went into their design and over-all place in both the party and the game, and Gryz is just...

Well, hell, you've played the game, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I find Demi also feels like she has no point in the late game. Wren is just objectively better and medic power doesn't do enough to make her unique enough to bother using.

While Gryz and Demi are not as polished as the main four, I do find them both to be quite a bit underrated by most players (much like how Rika is sort of overrated), and I think they can really be patched up quite nicely by a few minor tweaks. I think the best thing to do for Gryz is boost the oddly low attack power of several of his mid-game axes, and possibly give him access to a holy elemental axe for the end game. Secondly, I'd just buff the crap out of Brose. It takes way too many TP to be as unreliable as it is. Another tweak I wanted to make was to make War Cry grant a 16+str bonus instead of just Str bonus, to give it better initial value and scaling, but I couldn't get it to work. If anyone knows how, let me know.

Demi is actually pretty solid - more so than Gryz. Phonon is stronger than Burstroc and she gets more uses of it, and Medic Power is a great clutch skill. The only real mark against her is that, overall, she's not as good as Wren, and since you are forced to use him, she becomes kind of redundant (especially considering that means Medic Power only targets 3 party members). If you assume no Wren, she does quite well for herself. I boosted her Stasis Beam by 32 points, her Medic Power by 48 points, and slightly altered her usage growth of the latter to compensate for its stronger healing. I find this makes her feel very well balanced, even with Wren in the party, and arguably a very good alternative to him.

KevinReconAlpha
1 year ago#32
Thinking more on it, it may make more sense to Nerf guns and swords and leave other weapons alone. IMO, there's too big of an efficacy gap between swords and daggers.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
1 year ago#33
KevinReconAlpha posted...
Thinking more on it, it may make more sense to Nerf guns and swords and leave other weapons alone. IMO, there's too big of an efficacy gap between swords and daggers.

I think daggers might be a more interesting as an option if they did something like boost agility in addition to their normal stats. Also, Gryz should definitely be able to use them since he has the animations for it and everything. I dunno why they took that out.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

KevinReconAlpha
1 year ago#34
Elrick75 posted...

I think daggers might be a more interesting as an option if they did something like boost agility in addition to their normal stats. Also, Gryz should definitely be able to use them since he has the animations for it and everything. I dunno why they took that out.

It's probably because both the attack bonus and defense on his axes are high enough to make both daggers and shields obsolete, which is kind of silly. Honestly, they should have just removed Chaz's ability to use daggers also if they weren't going to bother maintaining any semblance of balance between swords and daggers.

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
1 year ago#35
I can rename the lasr-knife and give it the holy element, that could add another option to fight Zio. What name should it have?

Also, swap elements between weapons sold in Meese and give the fire element to the dagger.

Next, add ice element and rename the flamesword. My idea was to make this new "CrystalBld", a special sword, dropped by frostsabers that has a giwat power when used in battle, but I like the first option to encourage the use of daggers, at least on Dezolis overworld.

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
1 year ago#36

Elrick75 posted...

It's probably because both the attack bonus and defense on his axes are high enough to make both daggers and shields obsolete, which is kind of silly. Honestly, they should have just removed Chaz's ability to use daggers also if they weren't going to bother maintaining any semblance of balance between swords and daggers.

I disagree with removing Chaz's ability to use daggers. I don't have a good reason for it, just a gut feeling that it's unnecessary. That being said, the balance between Knives, Swords, and Axes was horribly planned. I'd like to see it reworked so that at any given point the strongest sword available is roughly 80% the Attack of the best axe but gives a small boost to defense; and at the same point the best dagger is only 45% of the attack of the best axe, but gives an agility boost.

I'd also like to see a chance for missed attacks more in line with Phantasy Star 2, where it's again a factor to consider in the choice between dual-wielding and two-handing for characters that can use both knives and swords. In PS2 I tend to have Rolf use two Laser Knives pretty much right up until he gets the Nei Sword; misses make it give less DPS than a sword, but over-all I feel the occasional miss with one out of two Knives is still more long-term DPS than the misses with with a single sword. I don't know if that's something you can mod, though.

I feel like these changes would make the three weapon types be much closer to equality in terms of how viable they feel in the game.

men_dvz posted...
I can rename the lasr-knife and give it the holy element, that could add another option to fight Zio. What name should it have?

Also, swap elements between weapons sold in Meese and give the fire element to the dagger.

Next, add ice element and rename the flamesword. My idea was to make this new "CrystalBld", a special sword, dropped by frostsabers that has a giwat power when used in battle, but I like the first option to encourage the use of daggers, at least on Dezolis overworld.

Is it possible to add new items instead of completely altering existing weapons?

I'm a big fan of options... Even if I may not use something, I appreciate it being an option. I personally would rather NOT have every piece of gear in the game be vital; that takes all the strategy out of selecting equipment- you simply buy everything that appears in the shops, and you're always almost as good as you can be (outside of the loot you have to hunt, of course). I'd like to see new items added and old, mediocre things still be left in place.

That being said, if it's possible I'd like to see at least two elemental-damage weapons of each element for each weapon category, one early-to-mid game and one mid-to-late game. That would add... Ah, my brains are too tired for math, but it should add something like 25-30 weapons to the game. If THAT is possible, I'd further love to see more elemental-based defensive gear, too.

And THEN... Nah. That's enough, lol. :P
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

men_dvz
1 year ago#37
c_s_tadsen posted...
I'd also like to see a chance for missed attacks more in line with Phantasy Star 2, where it's again a factor to consider in the choice between dual-wielding and two-handing for characters that can use both knives and swords. In PS2 I tend to have Rolf use two Laser Knives pretty much right up until he gets the Nei Sword; misses make it give less DPS than a sword, but over-all I feel the occasional miss with one out of two Knives is still more long-term DPS than the misses with with a single sword. I don't know if that's something you can mod, though.

Yes, it could be done, but it implies editing the existing animations and battle mechanics. e.g.:
Add animations for: left hand hit, right hand miss. and viceversa. For knives and slashers users. It's complex.

Is it possible to add new items instead of completely altering existing weapons?

I'm a big fan of options... Even if I may not use something, I appreciate it being an option. I personally would rather NOT have every piece of gear in the game be vital; that takes all the strategy out of selecting equipment- you simply buy everything that appears in the shops, and you're always almost as good as you can be (outside of the loot you have to hunt, of course). I'd like to see new items added and old, mediocre things still be left in place.

That being said, if it's possible I'd like to see at least two elemental-damage weapons of each element for each weapon category, one early-to-mid game and one mid-to-late game. That would add... Ah, my brains are too tired for math, but it should add something like 25-30 weapons to the game. If THAT is possible, I'd further love to see more elemental-based defensive gear, too.

And THEN... Nah. That's enough, lol. :P

Yes, you can add more weapons and armor. I don't know exactly how much space is left in the rom, I'll just try adding by one. If this, at some point, breaks the game, then I will have to replace existing items.

Defensive items... a shield with resistance to ice factor could be very useful...
the electric barrier (seen in another mod) and something like the psy-shield with resistance to insta-death attacks.

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
1 year ago#38
Anything with status resistance could be a good addition, if your plans for your modified version of the game include enemies actually having a decent chance to inflict status. Which, btw, is something I'd very much like to see. Really effective status ailments could completely change the balance of battles.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

men_dvz
1 year ago#39
Yes, enemy techs like gelun, rimit, vol and seals will have a higher chance and more foes will use them.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
1 year ago#40
I appreciate when hacks don't stomp all over the continuity, though. Technically it doesn't make any sense for non-humanoids to use techs.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge
  • Topic Archived