My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
1 year ago#21
If you're really intent on modding characters, I'd suggest putting significant time into Gryz. He feels so... unfinished, I guess might be a good word for it. Gry always felt to me like he was an after-thought or something, like the developers realized the party was too small for the part of the world they were in when he joins, and someone went, "Hey, let's make the blue guy stick around. Give him a couple crap skills, no techs, and weak-ass election of gear and call it a day." Every other character feels like substantially more thought went into their design and over-all place in both the party and the game, and Gryz is just...

Well, hell, you've played the game, I'm sure you know what I mean.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
1 year ago#22
c_s_tadsen posted...
If you're really intent on modding characters, I'd suggest putting significant time into Gryz. He feels so... unfinished, I guess might be a good word for it. Gry always felt to me like he was an after-thought or something, like the developers realized the party was too small for the part of the world they were in when he joins, and someone went, "Hey, let's make the blue guy stick around. Give him a couple crap skills, no techs, and weak-ass election of gear and call it a day." Every other character feels like substantially more thought went into their design and over-all place in both the party and the game, and Gryz is just...

Well, hell, you've played the game, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I find Demi also feels like she has no point in the late game. Wren is just objectively better and medic power doesn't do enough to make her unique enough to bother using.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
1 year ago#23
With this game's very limited resurrection options, though, Demi is pretty darn significant when you first get her.

I don't think of Gryz as a mistake or even a problem. He's just meant to be the generic fighter. He's supposed to lack options, hit like a truck, and take hits. He does the damage he's supposed to, especially with the oft-underestimated War Cry, but his tankiness suffers badly by the nature of the game's mechanics, whereby defense is determined primarily by agility. If this game had some kind of constitution/endurance stat, Gryz would be pretty amazing. Frankly, dexterity in this game is so purposeless and lines up so much with agility that I wonder if the stats all got shuffled around at some point in development (i.e. dexterity was accuracy, dodging and turn order, and the stat now known as agility was more of a defensive bonus). I'd consider that more balanced, and I'd appreciate a hack that made things that way.

EDIT: oh, one thing that is super dumb is Brose. Inexplicable. Useless. Only purpose is to be used before hoes.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
(message deleted)

Elrick75
1 year ago#25
I always thought it would be interesting if Gryz got some of the enemy abilities like EARTHQUAKE, SAND STORM or WIND STORM. I would also like it if Demi's Medic Power scaled better. But that's just me.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
1 year ago#26
Elrick75 posted...
I find Demi also feels like she has no point in the late game. Wren is just objectively better and medic power doesn't do enough to make her unique enough to bother using.

Late game Demi does lose her uniqueness... Her support role is filled better by Kira and Raja, and her damage output via guns is better filled by Wren. She still makes a good hybrid character if you are indecisive about a party slot, or if you want to run a party of versatility-oriented characters. (I admit some bias, though, because I just really like Demi.)

FreshFeeling posted...
I don't think of Gryz as a mistake or even a problem. He's just meant to be the generic fighter.

The problem is that Gryz is too generic. He's essentially a one-note wonder; once you've used up his War Cry then he's got nothing but basic attacks that is worth using. Everyone else that you can recruit in the game has some primary role with a few 'other' category things they can do, yet Gryz is limited to "War Cry" and "smack it". There's no good reason- not one- that he couldn't have been given some actually useful or versatile moves and still fill the role of melee/tank.

FreshFeeling posted...
oh, one thing that is super dumb is Brose. Inexplicable. Useless. Only purpose is to be used before hoes.

That, I agree with completely. In Phantasy Star II Brose was a super bad-ass move that outright killed or dished major damage to robot enemies, and even living enemies in the final dungeon (although why that is has been a subject of debate off and on for decades). By the time Phantasy Star IV rolls around, though, it's been downgraded extremely harshly; the kill effect is there but the massive damage is not. It rarely ever works, so rarely that you never experiment with t enough to learn the few enemies vulnerable to it... So it might as well not exist, or be a glitched line item.

Personally, I see no reason Gryz couldn't have been given some decent basic abilities to round him out instead of being essentially crapped on by the developers. Something like...

TECHS:
Res (all the non-droids but Alys get this, no reason Gryz couldn't- and as a warrior, some very basic healing abilities make sense... every warrior is going to get hurt eventually and need healing)
Ner (resurrect the single-target Saner from Phantasy Star II)

SKILLS:
Airslash (a broad swing creating a sharp blade of wind should be as viable for Gryz's axe as Chaz's sword, IMO, and it's an early-game enough skill to make it viable on multiple characters)
Earth (straight-up take it from Chaz and give it to Gryz instead, with a decent increase in success rate so it's not a wasted skill)
<name?> like War Cry but DEF instead of ATK
<name?> something that does the Awaken effect of Arows (perhaps- for the sake of flavor- relating to Gryz just shouting really loud, like War Cry)
<name?> effect that works like GELUN but with 50% chance of success (name in keeping with shout/cry flavor?)
<name?> effect that works like DORAN but with 50% chance of success (name in keeping with shout/cry flavor?)
<name?> a War Cry-type effect but affects the whole party
<name/> a War Cry-type effect that boosts DEF for the whole party instead of ATK
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
1 year ago#27
Elrick75 posted...
I always thought it would be interesting if Gryz got some of the enemy abilities like EARTHQUAKE, SAND STORM or WIND STORM. I would also like it if Demi's Medic Power scaled better. But that's just me.

I like this.
Why every char has powerful skill like legeon megid...st.fire... and gryz just have a copy of airslash...

And he can't do combination attacks.
Earthquake could be done e.g. with earth + brose, but it's an enemy skill. Will not be easy to do.

User Info: Binta

Binta
1 year ago#28
Gryz overcoming his fear of earthquakes?

At any rate, the least they could've done with Gryz is make his axes a little stronger or tone down some of Chaz's swords. Since Chaz's swords are so powerful, Gryz's attack power is only marginally higher than Chaz's, and depending on the levels, occasionally worse.
"If drumsticks are for playing drums, you'd think breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn't you?" ~George Carlin

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
1 year ago#29
• Tried to use with Gryz some of the vehicles "optin", like x-burst or n-spher. It doesn't show correctly.
I promise I will invent/find something interesting for him.

• Tried to use Alys' skills with Kyra. Vortex, Moonshad and Death are ok and I like Kyra using them but... lethal img combo is very glitched and you have to restart the game to fix it. -.-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EybedKnsI3Q

• Tested the unused enemy ability Destrocray, trying to find which monster was supposed to cast this.
Monsters I tried and didn't work:
PD 1,2,3
Dark Force 2,3
Lashiec
Rykros Guardians.
Xe a toul
I suppose this belongs to a mech so I will try with them next.

Elrick75
1 year ago#30
nice
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived