My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

User Info: men_dvz

men_dvz
11 months ago#1
Phantasy Star 4 is one of the few games that I sometimes replay because I can not forget.
It's a perfect game, the music, the gameplay, the powerful story it tells... I don't know why but alys death always make me sad every time... no other game does something like that...

So... I want to make a rom hack. Don't want to do a difficult game but to make it more unpredictable, not "very" difficult but to make the player to think more and not "just make some macros to pass thru the dungeons and bosses and etc".
The best example of "unpredictable" is the first time I used Seals on the edge, there was like 3 outerbeast. What happened next was really unexpected. I think I never used seals again .

---------------------------------------------------------------

I found the ps4 editor that let you edit enemy stats, skill etc, but I had a problem. The first skill I wanted to edit is Earth.
Every time I used a edited Earth, it would do the classic animation and put to sleep the enemy.
Maybe I need to found the offset of animation byte of the skill. How can I find it?

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
11 months ago#2
I'd love to know how to change animations myself.
Mind explaining what you were trying to do with Earth where it kept trying to do a sleep effect?
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."

men_dvz
11 months ago#3
I changed this
http://imgur.com/hrP4XFX to
http://imgur.com/GePS7Iu
(message deleted)

men_dvz
11 months ago#5
Ok, I found in the asm code the procedure, but it's different from the mips asm I know from college; it's hard for me to read and follow the code right now.

But, at least I know it shares the eliminat and rimit sound effects and that should be changed too.

men_dvz
11 months ago#6
•Giving a normal weapon the insta-kill effect does work. Tested with Dagger, it shows the genocyclaw/shadwbld symbol; don't know if it works with slashers. And I'll remove the death effect from Elsydeon, it's just very very very overpowered, makes the Edge too easy.

•Another option I have is replacing Earth with another skill. Tested with dthspell; it works, but I want the style of skill have sense with the player using it.

•Sword will have different stats. They will have the defense bonus, but at the same time, they will decrease agility. This means that defense in-battle is the same but enemies have a slighly more chance of critical Chaz.
Could do it on axes too, but Gryz have low agility; if I lower more his agility on lower levels it would roll back like the shadowbld...lol.
Daggers will have a little more attack and dexterity bonus ;Gryz will be able to use them.

•Just a random idea: make Claws and mid-heavy shields(crmc plsm rflc laco guard pow etc) 2 handed only. That means some tactics like equiping Rika with a silv-tusk and a rflc-robe vs Lashiec can not be used anymore and you will have to choose full attack or full defense.

men_dvz
11 months ago#7
• Thinking about the idea of increasing the difficulty of getting equipment (because the game just give it to you in chests), I just realized that I can remove every item from the weapons/armor shop. So, how would one get the new gear?

The player would have to grind to get new equipment, like in a mmorpg. (I think I'm the first that came with this amazing? idea so I want to be credited if you use it (just joking lol)), but seriusly I never seen that discussed, maybe in another forum but I don't know many.

I never grind for lvl, but I never skip a battle with a full party, and I find items drops rare, this should be tested and maybe the exp should be changed.

User Info: Elrick75

Elrick75
11 months ago#8
Just my opinion but I always 100% of the time hate having to grind for gear because it feels like such a waste of time especially if you are very unlucky. It could also lead to people being over leveled. But you do you. It's your mod.
My top 10: Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher, FFVI, FE:A, ToG f, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Breath of Fire II

men_dvz
11 months ago#9
I understand, and I hate overleveling too.
The problem with this is I have no precise information on how the game calculates the item drop percentage, and which item a monster drop. I'm looking in the code now, with no luck. With that I could make the drop chances a little higher.

Also, as we have seen in other players runs (no hands challenge), top full equipment is not necessary to beat the game. But again, I don't want it to be very hard, and has to be tested a lot.

If this doesn't work, I could make the new shops we go though sell not top-grade armor. For example, steel weapons at Tonoe, instead of Mile; titanium at Aiedo, crmc at Termi etc.

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
11 months ago#10
I feel silly having been so uninvolved but: I don't even recall if we know 100% how to set which items drop from which enemies/encounters. Do we have that?
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star IV
  3. My thoughts about ps4... and a new challenge

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived