• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Legend III
  3. 0 Gold / No Shops / No Inn Challenge!

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
8 months ago#21
On top of the fact that there's a lot of late game monsters and beasts with instant death attacks (as well as the final cyborg and robot forms), you also have access to lost magic by the time you can start making Armlets or buying Wall staves. Exit2 is the best instant death attack in the game due to it apparently being non-elemental, and works even on FireFans (that have O-All). Humans obviously have some MP issues and can't toss around Exit2 constantly unless you bring a lot of Tents/Elixirs, but even without the Wall Staff or Armlet it's not too difficult to have your 4 main characters setup with instant kill attacks!

BareknuckleRoo
8 months ago#22
I had a false start where I tried to run into Dogra's cave at level 5. Low on HP trying to avoid using MP, got my butt kicked. Restarted and levelled up more earlier on to make up for the lack of MP. Everyone has Cure1 this run; no Dragon helms or Cure2 yet, but I lucked out and picked up a Remora in Chaos's Castle so that'll be handy to beat him up with.

BareknuckleRoo
8 months ago#23
FINALLY. It took a ridiculous amount of time, more Lit1 spells dropped than I possibly needed, discovering enemies here drop Tomahawks and Para spells, but thanks to the upper floors of Chaos's Castle we now have Cure2 on all 4 characters. At level 25 (!!).

Now to steamroll everything up to Agron.

BareknuckleRoo
8 months ago#24
In a no shop game, the earliest we can get real status resistance is by equipping the Fur armor, the Plume, and the Pendant. I had these on a Scylla, leaving me only exposed to Mute and Confusion (Blind and Poison don't matter). Fenrir went down with my monsters dodging nearly everything. He'd done a few 2Tusks and I was in the process of guarding and healing when Fenrir used Flood; it did 0 damage because it missed the two who were guarding, hahaha.

After the fight I managed to snag not one, but two FireFans. Without access to the full range of magic you'd have in a normal playthrough, their offense isn't super noteworthy, but they're the only late game Monster with both O-All and Selfix, no damage weaknesses, and have double my Evade/M.Def/M.Evade stats I have with equipment, making them ideal tanks. They only have 66 Def though; even though I won't have enough equipment to properly outfit 4 characters, I'm not sure they'll be a good idea to use against Ballor over something else because they'll be susceptible to his physical attacks.

Guha and Dahak down easily. Dahak slightly more annoying than last run despite actually having Durend, because I happened to have fewer Quake resistant characters.

Smother, Durend and the Exit spell! You get three massively useful pieces of gear in a short period, greatly upping your raw damage. And, the Excalibur will come soon after, along with the the Masamune and Emperor sword we won't forget this time. Jorgandr's easy, even one person swinging Durend at him makes short work of him. Excalibur get.

Agron goes down without issues; I was transitioning to Anubises at this point. Tests showed that even with awful equipment, low Magic Defense only resulted in about 50 - 80 extra damage from spells. This means FireFans aren't worth it for defense, and Anubises outright beat both of the endgame monster choices against Ballor and Xagor, even though two of them frankly did not have appropriate armor. I tried a Robot and a Cyborg at one point - with awful gloves and shoes because I simply had nothing better, the Cyborg was several hundred points of HP and Agility below an Anubis, with little to show for it. The robot, hilariously, had less than 200 HP. Worthless without the pills, as expected. Also, a Chainsaw dropped from a Virago group. Neat, I guess? Too bad it and the Drain sword I've been carrying around are worthless at this point. The Mystic Swords and Karate are the only endgame weapons you'll ever want or need, honestly.

BareknuckleRoo
8 months ago#25
Made it to Ballor with 4 Anubises by running from literally everything. Despite getting the Masamune, Emperor sword and Aegis shield after Agron, I decide if I'm going to do no shopkeeper we might as well ignore those three items too. We take on Ballor with a 4 Anubis team; the Ribbons are spread out to help with stats, with Borgin taking one so he's not a liability against Dk-Virus, allowing us to boast a full O-All team. We don't have anyone resistant to Quake or Thunder, meaning Magma and LitX will be an issue in the last two boss fights, but not an unmanageable one. Our best healing spell as usual is Cure2; I didn't get any Cure3 spells from Warlocks so I have no idea if they'll even drop it.

As it turns out, Magma is pathetic unless single-targetted; even without resistance it barely hits 110s. Smother hits 400, Excalibur and Durendal hit massively as usual. The final Anubis who's barehanded is our defender, focusing on using Guard on Borgin on another member as need be. Even with 40 or so points less in M.Def, Nuke only did about 30 points difference in damage on our weakest Anubis!

Ballor gets off two Nukes in a row, killing off two Anubises. I'm annoyed at first that I'll have to start using my 5 Elixirs, but then I realize Borgin actually does have the basic Life spell, so I just use that, getting everyone back up over the course of a few turns. By having one person Guard Borgin at all times, Borgin is never at risk of being killed by a double Nuke. With Selfix, Ballor can't two shot any of our Anubises from full health with Nuke, and Ballor goes down without too much trouble. Oops. I thought without LifeA or LifeB Ballor was going to be the main challenge of the run because I completely forgot Borgin does in fact have the basic Life spell.

Ballor's experience rudely shifts two of our 4 Anubies into Aeshma. They don't have Selfix, or the Anubis's cool egyptian looks, but they do resist Tornado, so they're not all bad for Xagor.

Xagor is actually a nuisance; Dk-Force can one-shot anyone if it rolls high and doesn't appear to be reduced by def or mdef, although it never seems to score a critical hit. Flare is a major headache due to doing 600s in damage. I actually had to start use an Elixir here when Flare came out multiple times in a row to revive people as I couldn't keep up with healing and Life while dealing damage. Fortunately, Talon keeps hitting each turn, so you will slowly whittle Xagor down even if you're not attacking directly. I didn't get many safe chances to attack either; Xagor's offense is really nasty, and I found myself missing LifeB as well as the extra HP the Garuda has, making them capable of tanking Dk-Force reliably. Borgin had to stay alive using CureA while also being defended to use Life as need be. Eventually, Xagor went down, with a Talon shot finishing it off. No shops, no Aegis/Masmune/Emperor, no Lost Magic, done!

Xagor ended up being considerably harder; both the Garuda and Sei-Ryu monsters perform better for actually taking hits due to Xagor's total lack of status ailment attacks. Garuda in particular has both high HP and Thunder resistance. It can't do much damage (aside from using Nuke if you bought it) but it's able to defend and heal better than Beasts with poor armor can! Normally, Beasts can have a piece of Diamond gear on for the Thunder resistance, and with CureB and LifeB spread throughout the team, Xagor is no issue aside from Dk-Force and Flare, both of which can be healed very rapidly. Cure2 was also critical without LifeA and LifeB; if I didn't take the time to get Cure2 for all 4 members, it would've gone incredibly badly here.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
8 months ago#26
And that's why I usually avoid robots; they can't use Cure2 (or any other magic)!
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Founder and owner of Dragonsoft since 1997.

User Info: thrawnca

thrawnca
8 months ago#27
BareknuckleRoo posted...
Exit2 is the best instant death attack in the game due to it apparently being non-elemental, and works even on FireFans (that have O-All).

IIRC, though, you don't get any EXP for using Exit spells. Not an issue for non-humans once you've reached a high enough level, of course, but at that point you could also just run away and save your MP.

BareknuckleRoo posted...
Xagor ended up being considerably harder; both the Garuda and Sei-Ryu monsters perform better for actually taking hits due to Xagor's total lack of status ailment attacks.

Have you considered using a Nuke bomb against him once all the mouths appear? At that point, he loses his elemental resistances.

BareknuckleRoo
8 months ago#28
And that's why I usually avoid robots; they can't use Cure2 (or any other magic)!

That's not really a good reason to avoid Robots though; their HP tops out at a ridiculously high value with innate Selfix and complete resistance to damage and status when given a Ribbon as a Venus. Their damage output is also top-notch, with their stats second only to Human/Mutant via ridiculous overlevelling. And, unlike FFL1 and FFL2, healing spells are not based on stats and are instead based on max HP, meaning they receive several hundred more HP when healed; Borgin's CureA alone ends up healing about 150 more HP (and he has nothing better to do anyways). Add to that the extra Selfix bonus and you can outheal pretty much everything on a Robot except Flare spells, making a 4 Robot team totally viable (have one block for Borgin) for everything except perhaps Agron?

Elixirs are also buyable in the shop, giving Robots a way of healing/reviving to full HP even without healing spells. 1 or 2 Robots on a team supported by a couple of CureB/LifeB users is very, very useful. I wouldn't recommend over 2 Robots as that's too highly specialized, but Robots are arguably among the best races in the game once you get enough money to power level them, and when supported with Monsters or Beasts for healing.

Have you considered using a Nuke bomb against him once all the mouths appear? At that point, he loses his elemental resistances.

I usually chuck the Nuke once Xagor appears. He doesn't seem to gain his resistance to all elements until he uses the Barrier ability, and he's slow enough that a top form Beast can generally get the hit in before he does. It doesn't make a huge difference if you use it after though, as you'll be dealing most of your damage with the Mystic Swords anyways.

IIRC, though, you don't get any EXP for using Exit spells. Not an issue
for non-humans once you've reached a high enough level, of course, but at that point you could also just run away and save your MP.

I tried using Exit on all enemies in the fight; I still got EXP for it (46 EXP against one of the endgame monster groups), but it was about 1/4 of what I expected so it seems it certainly applies an EXP penalty for using it.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Legend III
  3. 0 Gold / No Shops / No Inn Challenge!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A