• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Legend III
  3. Confused at transformation when eating meat as a monster

User Info: Enlino

Enlino
10 months ago#1
I’m playing this game for the first time in the collection, and I’m a little confused at how transformations work. The guides all say that eating meat moves the character one step left (from base to beast to monster) and installing parts moves the player one step right (from base to cyborg to robot). But I’ve installed parts as a robot and turned back into a cyborg, and I’ve eaten meat as a monster and turned back into a beast. I’ve also eaten meat as a beast and transformed to a different beast instead of a mobster. Are the guides wrong? If so, is there a more accurate guide out there to transformations? I’ve read that monsters and robots don’t upgrade forms automatically as they level up, so if I want to change a robot’s form do I need to bounce back to cyborg and then to robot again?

On a similar note, is there any mechanical difference between the small meat and large meat sprite when they drop after a fight?

User Info: thrawnca

thrawnca
10 months ago#2
The guides all say that eating meat moves the character one step left (from base to beast to monster) and installing parts moves the player one step right (from base to cyborg to robot).

Partially true; any meat will turn a robot into a cyborg, then into a human/mutant, then into a beast, and any parts will turn a monster into a beast, then into a human/mutant, then into a cyborg.

However, beast meat will never produce a monster, and cyborg parts will never produce a robot. You need monster meat to make (or remain) a monster, and robot parts to make (or remain) a robot.

is there any mechanical difference between the small meat and large meat sprite

Nope. I think they depend on how much room the original enemy sprite took up. But it's cosmetic only.

(By the way, if you're experimenting with transformations, don't forget to pick up the Flushex unit in the Past. The first time I ever played through, I missed out on it. It's useful for undoing unwanted transformations. There was also a recent thread discussing the merits of different transformation strategies, https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/563274-final-fantasy-legend-iii/78910638)

User Info: Enlino

Enlino
10 months ago#3
That makes sense, thanks. I already stumbled across the flushex so it sounds like I’m good to go.

User Info: thrawnca

thrawnca
10 months ago#4
Bear in mind that in the early game, cyborgs and robots are very weak. Cyborg stats are strongly affected by their equipment (they literally gain HP and MP based on what they're wearing), and in the early game your gear isn't worth much, while robot stats are heavily dependent on buying lots of upgrade capsules, which you can't yet do.

In the late game, when you have more money than you know what to do with, robots can become the strongest physical fighters, while cyborgs can become the best jack-of-all-trades, particularly useful against bosses. (They have a higher Attack stat than any other race except Robots, which helps them wield the Mystic Swords, but they can also cast support magic).

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
10 months ago#5
Let me clarify the rule (which I think I've done before, but people oversimplify): meat and parts move you one step closer to what they came from. If meat comes from a beast, you move one step closer to being a beast -- which is usually one step left, but not always.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Founder and owner of Dragonsoft since 1997.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Legend III
  3. Confused at transformation when eating meat as a monster
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A