• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Ghost Lion
  3. checking This One Out

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
3 years ago#41
Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Unfortunately the dagger is just dead weight that can't be shed. The same applies to some of the spirits.

The dungeons really require you to be careful with your resources and fight strategically, I had a few game overs, which rarely happens to me in RPGs.

Sigh, RL has kept me from gaming the past couple of days, all fun stuff so I can't complain. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to pick a controller up at some point and pay Dragon Crystal a bit more. It's a rogue-like for the SMS, a rare beast indeed. Not going to linger on it long, because it can take weeks, months or even years to beat a rogue-like if you aren't lucky.
What a horrible night to have a curse!
Check out my game reviews at https://retromaggedon.wordpress.com/

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#42
RL??? Is that anything like RP... just kidding. Anyway... Happy Valentine's day to you as well funkadelius and all of you lurkers.

*Heavy sigh* Unfortunately, I am one Hope off. I need 3 more Hopes so Fragments. MAN!!! Well puting off the White Pyramid until after I've gone back. It's a good thing this isn't "Illusion of Gaia." Wah! Wah! Wah!..

Later guys... :(

funk, did you have all 26 HOPEs at the end of your game. I'm trying to guage if you need them all to beat the end game. Also did you follow the prescribed summon path? Thanks!
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 years ago#43
Different RPGs load battles differently and when they're set varies. Battles may be set for this game as soon as you enter them, meaning if you enter a battle, then save, it doesn't matter how many times you load that battle, it'll play out the same way if you do the same commands. So trying to reload saves to get a successful run may not work, unless you try using an item, then backing out of the menu and then trying to run. I don't know, this is just speculation based on what I've picked up from watching speedruns/TASes of other RPGs and heard talk of RNG manipulation. I do know that if you save in this game the square before an encounter, then open the Goods menu, or Look, you can change that encounter, or maybe avoid it. Otherwise, you're always going to get that encounter on that square. So if running isn't working, maybe try manipulating the menus to see if that changes damage outputs, misses, gives you a chance to run, etc.

FF characters were locked into a command for that turn. So you tell your fighter to attack Imp #3, it'll will attack (or attempt to attack if Imp #3 dies or runs away before fighter goes) Imp #3 and that's it. Now, next turn, you have another chance to input a command. So here, you tell Slug to attack the Ghost, he'll attack that round, but next round, you can have him attack the ghost again or defend or whatever. Later DW games (4 onward), you didn't control your other party members directly (unless you set that option), but rather, told them to "Go all out" or "defend me" or whatever, and the AI would choose actions for the characters based on their skills and what "style" you wanted them to fight in. FF (at least through 7. Haven't played past that so can't speak for later games) is just turn-based, so each turn you have a new chance to input a command.

I don't think many NES RPGs told you where you were as far as caves, dungeons, etc. There was usually someone near the entrance of towns to say "Welcome to ________" or a signpost or something, but caves were usually "that cave to the east of us" or whatever.

Well, work called me in early today so I'm leaving in a little bit. About through the tunnel south of Ratal. But yeah, G_T, if you wouldn't mind holding up a bit, let me see how much progress I can make tomorrow before work and hopefully get caught up with you so we can finish this together. Good luck finding those last Hopes. I'm at 18 still, so I've got a few to go, but don't know if I've missed any thus far.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

funkadelius
3 years ago#44
@Skater I forgot FF would lock commands, which was bothersome. One thing that I have to look up about console RNG is how it's generated. Usually it's off the clock which is why some games are very easily manipulated on newer consoles. My guess would be that the NES kept track of its runtime and the RNG used that. Interesting stuff either way.

At any rate, you're right: LotGL almost certainly generates the Boolean for run attempts when the battle loads, because I remember trying to run from a battle five or six times tho see how it worked and failed each time. Could have been bad luck though.

@G_T I did not use the prescribed summon pattern and had no problem at level 26. I'm sure you can do it as low as 23 (maybe less), judging by how my battle went, but the suggested method probably becomes necessary then.

By some stroke of luck I found all the fragments with minimal help from the FAQs, one or two of the fragments are tricky to find iirc.

Good luck with the final leg of your journey and let me know what you think about the end. I thought it was alright, but some people complained about it being childish of course that was an opinion I found on tumblr, so meh.
Check out my Facebook page, RetroMaggedon: Classic Video Game Review!

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#45
Howdy Ladies and Gents, how's you Pink Monday going. Mine is SUPER! We have aer winter wonderland outside and I found the missing FoH. I am now at 24 and the final 2 I should find in the White Pyramid.

Thank you all for cheering me on . MWAK!

funk I just read that you have am FB page. I'll have to stop in and check it out.

So now I'll take a break and wait for my bud to catch up before moving forward... at least before tackling the end game.

Enjoy th rest of your day...

Btw... Yeah skater, I did notice that certain movements might create a new enemy during a reset, but most often not. Also, I noticed that if you're have trouble running if you get a hit on an enemy esp bind one then try to RUN, your chances of running are much better.

However, as I had to go back to jump only a few encounters end in an enemy running away. They have no respect for authority. And the way they take on a hero who is buffed up is the way I buff up my hero to take on the end game bosses. :D
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

skater43
3 years ago#46
Congrats, G_T on finding that missing Hope. Pleased to say I found some stuff early game I'd missed as well (including a piece of Hope). There was a cave south of Davis that I apparently never bothered checking out. But, cleared that now, so got me a couple new spirits as well the aforementioned Hope. Otherwise, made some good progress today in catching up. Don't think I'm quite caught up yet, but pretty close. Made it through the tunnel near Ratal, visited Tanya, Thea, and Orange Moon. Found the doll and returned it. Cleared the cave near Tanya, giving the witch back her glasses in the process. Did the lake south of Tanya as well as the cave SE of Thea, getting the Kleinjug, So it looks like my next destination is the cave east of Thea, north of the hydra cave. Hope of 23, so if there's two in the White Pyramid, hopefully the other one I'm missing is in this cave. Sacrificed Lamp to use the statue, but think I've got all the other helpers. Never used Lamp anyway and in fact, have yet to use any of my helpers other than the offense guys. Maybe there'll be enemies in the final areas where magic will be useful but for now, just bludgeoning my way through enemies. Simple and it works.

Movement/number of steps won't change enemies (unless you can leave an area/re-enter or go up stairs or something, those prolly would change things), but pulling up the Goods menu (don't have to use anything, just go to the point of "use"/"leave") or Look will either change the enemy formation or get rid of it completely. Since you don't get any exp for killing enemies and at this point, we've bought all the expensive gear we'll need (so don't need much rubies, just to restock breads used), there's no real incentive to fight enemies, so if you can manipulate them away, you'll save yourself some HP and likely time.

Winter Wonderland back east, but sunny and warm (in the low 70s the past week or so) out here in Cali land. Heard talk of rain, but sure don't look like it currently. But, whatever God gives us, we'll thank Him for it. He knows what's best.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#47
Well done sire... and my but you have been a busy little bee. the thing of this game is also that you pass by and must come back to some locales after obtaining something or revisit them altogether.

My missing FOH was in Statue's Cave. It was one of two; however, I think I missed it while my comp melted down on me and I had to shut down without a possible save. Then negelcted to go back with the return. So it was 18/19 deep.

Anyway, good job as always... have a great night in the salt mines.

Later all... :)

funkadelius
3 years ago#48
Thanks G_T, much appreciated. I'll be launching a website in March and didn't see the point in keeping the WordPress up, so the FB page is doing double duty. Hope you got your PC problems ironed out.

Grats on finding that FoH too.

@Skater, surprised to see you didn't use the lamp. It's arguably better than the spear, but good work getting so far without it.

As for me, I wrapped up Dragon Crystal last night. I'll have to research it a bit since there is nothing in the game that tells you what it's about. At any rate it was a cute little 8-bit rogue-like, a rare animal indeed. I like to finish games before I review then, but rogue-likes are an exception. It can take months or even years to beat one if you aren't lucky. If people express an interest in it, or if I have the time I'll return to it one day.

I started up a rather unimpressive Sega game called Dinos for Hire, the bad part of reviewing games is you have to play the stinkers as well as the good ones. Maybe it will shape up with any luck.

Have a good night folks!

funkadelius
3 years ago#49
Hate to double post, but I was talking to some of the people on the Illusion of Gaia board and we will be playing through the Terra Earth series soon. That includes, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma if you aren't familiar with the series.

Your both welcome to join in or lurk if you like and you don't have to do all three games.

skater43
3 years ago#50
Thank you, G_T. Yeah, amazing how much more I could accomplish in the game when I actually had a chance to play it. :) Got the usual Tuesday stuff today, but should have plenty of time to get through the last cave, then I think we've just got a final pyramid and that's it? Prolly finish the cave this morning, then we can see about the pyramid this afternoon.

Well, funk, I'm a melee guy. Ask anyone who's played D&D with me. Actually, that's not quite true. I'm a weapons guy. Played Shadowrun (though not the SNES game) and Star Wars and a couple other RPGs of that ilk, and I go for the giant assault rifle and usually a couple of other guns as back-up. But D&D, Pathfinder, fantasy RPGs, I go for the giant two-hander or something along those lines. So video game RPGs I go for the melee classes as well. I'll use some magic, but generally, even my mages are attacking with weapons most rounds, rather than casting spells. Just my style.

As for the Soul Blazer trilogy (or whatever you want to call the trilogy), G_T and I ran through them fairly recently. Due to circumstances beyond her control, G_T was unable to finish IoG, and I've withheld beating it until such time that we can finish it together. But check the boards and you'll see our run-throughs of those games. Not that we're opposed to playing through them again, just that yup, we're familiar with them. Think SB is my favorite of the three, just because it's the one I've played the most, but Terranigma was good as well. IoG wasn't bad, but one of them has to be on the bottom of the list.
  1. Boards
  2. Ghost Lion
  3. checking This One Out
  • Topic Archived