• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Ghost Lion
  3. checking This One Out

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#1
Wow, a topic closed in under 6 weeks. This site needs a rules overhaul. It doesn't allow for people to have lives.

Anyway, howdy folks... I've seen this name around and finally decided to see what the game was all about. It plays sort of like Final Fantasy. At least battle wise. As for the rest, hmmm...the caves are not extensive, the overworld isn't that deep, the towns are nothing to write home about. I will give that huge slug its cred. We'll see how the game goes as I go deeper.

Join me if you'd like. I'd love to have the company. :) Enhoy a super Pink Monday!
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 years ago#2
I'm game. Started this one a while ago (based on my save, apparently last January), but didn't get very far. I'd say Dragon Warrior's a little closer comparison, but this wasn't a bad game as I recall. Need to figure out where I am and where I'm going and figure out some of the mechanics again, but that shouldn't be too bad. Looks like I'm in the Werewolf Castle/Dog Cave part of the game, so did make a little progress last year, but still have quite a bit of the game to go.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#3
Howdy skater43... fancy meeting you here. :) I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Bright and sun-NY day in the DMV.

As I recall of Dragon Warrior You are a solo fighter throughout the game and you never battle a set of enemies. However, in FF you can work with a group of others... also you can battle groups of enemies. In LotGL the heroine(Yay) walks alon but has at her disposal a variety of helpers. So far I'm up to 5 and I'm only at level up 7 of 26 or something.

So I hold with my belief that the game is more like Final Fantasy. Howevr, chat back convince me. :)

Have a great one everybody. :)

P. S. I thought GameFAQs instituted email notifications. Why didn't I receive notification of a post to this thread?
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

skater43
3 years ago#4
Mostly sunny out here in Cali, too, though we got about a half hour of rain earlier this afternoon. Better than no rain, so we'll take and thank God for it.

Well, I have seen two FF-like things: if you and your spirit helper attack the same enemy and the first one kills it, the second person will still attempt to attack the dead monster, rather than having it's attack redirected. Don't remember if that was changed for FF2, but by 3, your characters wouldn't attack dead monsters. The other FF thing I noticed was the guys in red wandering around the town of Davis. You would be hard pressed to find a more blatant rip-off of the red mage FF sprite. However, the game itself reminds me more of DW. Yes, you can fight multiple monsters like in FF, but it looks like a max of 2. While you do have your spirit helpers, those are more akin to spells, rather than companions/a team traveling with you. Later FFs introduced summoning and the like, but the first one didn't have any of that. The battles are fought in a pseudo-first person perspective, with the monster front and center of the screen, like in DW, whereas in FF, the monsters are on one side of the screen with your team on the other. The menus are straight out of DW. Some of the names are different/omitted, but bringing up a menu to talk to people, equip/use items, etc. is all DW. FF you just pushed a button to talk to people, and had a subscreen to use items, equip gear, etc. DW was one of the first RPGs for the NES/Famicom and certainly the first big one. Hugely popular, especially in Japan. FF came along a little later and did things a little differently, but was also a huge success. Those two games basically set the mold for NES RPGs. I see more DW in this game than FF, but it was certainly influenced by both.

As for gameplay, see I'm lagging behind. Finished the Werewolf Castle and Dog Cave but will need to redo them. So I'll knock those out again then press on and see about catching up.

As for the notifications, I think they are set to "off" by default, so you may have to go into your settings to check what notifications you get and such.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
3 years ago#5
GT looks ok....
Hope health is doing better.
Talk to skater on a game we might be able to do together.
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Y: Sean (2787); X: Lily (3181); OGTG hax breeder/DEGI
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#6
Hi gm712, how's it going? :) Ummm, I'm looking into it. I passed on a lot of MM as lately as last week. However, for you... we see about putting the Three Musketeers back in play. If you have yet to play this game you could join us. :)

Now, you see folks, while skater43 and I play a lot of games together we have formed a relationship where we often butt heads. He is the clinical one who likes to speak of gaming from the inside out. Me... I'm the one who plays a game she likes and doesn't try to analyze it like an experiment gone bad. :)

skater-rater, I have no idea how many enemies the heroine will eventually encounter in these seta. I know it is building though. WHen I began play she met only one enemy outside and in caves. Now she meets two but I think it's only in caves. And remember, I'm on L - 7. As for her companions/helpers. whether they appear as people or as spells they are still helpers. All of the help she uses have the look of human so far except the Huge Slug. The fact that when found they might be called a red ring or Lamp I don't know. But when called upon you see a human form.

Now these helpers can either fight the enemy or defend Marie(heroine). And they use a litany of devices and spells. At any rate... skater-rater. Play a superficial game because to me, it still plays like Final Fantasy.

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
3 years ago#7
I saw Ghost Lion on the top ten, should have known it was you guys.

Reviewed this sucker a while back and had to force myself to play it as I got to the end. It quickly becomes tedious as you go deeper into the game. Thankfully it's short and the story is kind of interesting, if not totally coherent.
What a horrible night to have a curse!
Check out my game reviews at https://retromaggedon.wordpress.com/

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#8
Howdy funkadelius, life showering you with blessings I hope. I can't lie the game is tedious already and I'm just on L- 9. The problem I think is that the caves are amazingly short. The overworld battles are what they are. I'll tell you what though... that slug is the thing! It's great for use on the ghosts. Well, I ordered the steak so I guess I'll go ahead and eat it.

So skater43, how are you doing with this one. I just got back from filling my jug. I have 9 Hope... I have 150 Courage ... I have 74 Dream. I've gotten the S-Sword and the Whip. I really need to read up on these items. and I have 3927 Rubies... however, I know I need much more. So I guess I grind the ghosts for a while.

I should really hit the sheets... Good Morning all... :)

skater43
3 years ago#9
Caves are definitely short. I guess the good news is that it's easy to go in, get what you need and get out. And navigating the caves isn't difficult because there aren't a lot of twists, turns or dead ends. Still playing catch-up. Up to level/hope 8, got the slug, been to the Lake of Paradise but need to head to the Witch Forest next, so that's where I'm headed.

You're right, I don't know if we will continue to fight larger groups of monsters as we go on. Right now, 2 looks to be the max. However, I will point out that DW2 and on, you traveled with a party and fought groups of enemies. So I guess that would make this game closer in comparison to the later DWs than the first one. Playing some last night, I was reminded of one of the more obvious similarities between this game and the DW series: flavor text for the battles. "Maria thrusts the S-Sword at Werewolf. Werewolf is given 24 damage." "Werewolf uses Needle magic. The spell doesn't affect Maria." adds a little something besides "2 hits for 24 damage." "miss", etc. and that's straight out of DW.

RPGClassics (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/nes/ghostlion/) has a lot of info on this game. Because there's no stats, it's hard to tell what weapons are stronger, other than trying them in battle and seeing what appears to do more damage. And because there's no experience points, you lose some of the benefits of grinding. I mean, you've spent however many hours to get all those rubies, and you're not any stronger than before you started grinding. You can just afford more stuff. However, I will give credit to Kemco for trying something a little different with the level-ups. Not sure I like it, but it's not the worst idea I've seen. If nothing else, it encourages the player to move on, explore, etc. because staying around town fighting monsters won't make you any stronger, but that cave over there just might have another fragment of hope. Anyway, off to the Witch Forest to start checking trees for a music box. Because why wouldn't you bury it beneath a tree?

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
3 years ago#10
Same to you Torizo and skater!

Don't worry too much about buying Maria weapons. Towards the end of the game I found myself using her to summon and crowd control enemies with the magic rope more that anything.

You will encounter larger groups as the game progresses, some of which can be a threat. It's also very hard to run from monsters later in the game. Much of my money went to bread and magic restoration items later on.

The level up feature is one of the aspects of this game I really liked. Let me know what you think of the story when you are done. I found it a bit baffling in some respects, mostly the intro where Maria's parents decide to go on a wild ghost lion chase and leave her in the care of the village elder.
What a horrible night to have a curse!
Check out my game reviews at https://retromaggedon.wordpress.com/
  1. Boards
  2. Ghost Lion
  3. checking This One Out
  • Topic Archived