• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition
  3. Sometimes, I wish the name Resident Evil had died with Raccoon City...

User Info: Dr_Kain

Dr_Kain
8 years ago#1
Honestly, I think Resident Evil should have been a trilogy of games, and nothing more than that. The series just got too big on a global scale. I mean, we had Raccoon City, which started out initially as an "Oops," but then somehow Umbrella ended up having outbreaks occur on various islands, ships, labs, etc, that it just got to be too much. Honestly a corporation like Umbrella would have put themselves on lock down the moment Raccoon City was infected to ensure that would never have happened again.

Sure, it means we would have never gotten Code Veronica and RE4. However, seeing as how the events of Code Veronica led to nowhere, it would not have mattered. As for RE4, the game was fantastic, so good in fact that it would have been a great game even if it had nothing to do with Resident Evil. They could have changed its name, the name of its protagonist, and had no mention of Umbrella, and the game would still have been great, and would have avoided the "RE is not what it should be" argument.

Even RE0 doesn't make much sense from a continuity standpoint. It just doesn't fully fit in with the events at the Spencer Estate, especially if you play through Chris' game.

Now does that mean Capcom would not have been able to do spin-offs? No. The Outbreak series could have been something truly special if they had just put more care into it. In fact, I wish they would revisit Outbreak, retool it for the current gen, fix the online aspect by adding in voice chat and stuff, but keeping the horror aspect of it intact.

All I'm saying is that I wished the series had stayed isolated to Raccoon City and that is it. Do you agree? Disagree? If so, why?
GLaDOS 2012 - At least she admits the cake is a lie.

User Info: moar_rope_plz

moar_rope_plz
8 years ago#2
IMO RE0 fits in with the main story personally and I thoroughly enjoyed that game. As for RE4, it would have been perfectly acceptable to add it in if the series was a trilogy seeing as it has little to do with Umbrella. It would act as a "let's see what this character has been up to" kind of thing
candlejack is re
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition
  3. Sometimes, I wish the name Resident Evil had died with Raccoon City...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A