• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X-2
  3. First Playthrough

User Info: youngval312

youngval312
6 months ago#1
So I've never actually beat this game, but I know it has a New Game+ feature and getting 100% is extremely difficult.

Can I play through it once without using any guide whatsoever - probably missing a ton of stuff - and then on later playthroughs accumulate enough completion for 100%?
-Val Young-

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
6 months ago#2
Absolutely, yes. Keep in mind that the game keeps track of what you already did over multiple playthroughs, so you won't be rewarded extra % by watching the same scenes. I believe there are 105% in total that you can collect (you won't see any "extra", it's capped at 100%), so there's a bit of a leeway, but it can still be tricky, especially for the last few bits. With that said, I wouldn't worry too much or stress over getting 100%, all you get is an extra 2 min scene or so that doesn't add much imho.

If you must, a good general tip for getting most % without using a guide is to leave hotspots for last, visiting every other area beforehand (without skipping scenes, of course). IIRC there's a single instance in Chapter 3 when a new event unlocks in a non-hotspot area after completing a bit of the storyline, but that's about it. Most stuff you'll most likely miss without a guide (%-wise) will be in Chapter 4 or by some "obscure" or otherwise complex stuff like the whistling scenes and the Chocobo Ranch.

Regardless, good luck and, above all, have fun~

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
6 months ago#3
contrary to how FFX-2 is often discussed, that is the entire point of this games NG+ function. You arent supposed to get 100% in one playthrough, finishing 100% of the storyline on a NG+ is much easier and will probably take the same amount of real world time to complete over 2 playthroughs as it would to do in one (even if it doesn't show that on the gameclock)

100% storyline completion also doesnt comprise all the games actual content. Over the 15 years this games been out and almost 8 since its remaster, id wager 80% of people who go for the 100% in one run end up disliking the game or considering it too grindy, and that could be because they chose to play it in the most grindy way possible. NG+ will give you a fair amount of 'extra' percentage points by making different storyline choices, and youll find some of the optional/endgame content much more doable with some better carryover equips from a NG+

demonguardian posted...
Regardless, good luck and, above all, have fun~
cant stress this enough. enjoy your playthrough and then come *back* with an elaborate guide to fill in all the gaps. For a first playthrough I would use the guides for the big secrets and morw struggle sections, but I wouldnt follow any 100% guides line by line or you will burn out

The only thing ill say definitively is a repeat of the above, dont skip scenes, or dialogue with anyone who... talks for a really long time. Otherwise, have at it!
Learning something new everyday

youngval312
6 months ago#4
Ok, that's great. I didn't even realize visiting non-hotspot areas would do anything.

Now I have to figure out the best version to buy, I've got this on PS2, but I'm really interested in the Japanese/international content we didn't get in the US...

Do you guys have any recommendation on that? I have a PC, PS4, and Switch in addition to my PS2.

Also thanks for the help!
-Val Young-
(edited 6 months ago)

demonguardian
6 months ago#5
I personally own the PS2 and PC versions and don't regret buying/playing either of them. The remake/remastered versions added quite a lot to the game (I can only imagine how much it'd be worth in DLCs if it came out nowadays...), mostly in the form of the creature creator. If you like X (hopefully X-2 as well) and has some cash to spare, I'd definitely recommend it, though if you want to save some money it might be worth playing the PS2 version while waiting for a discount in one of the ports (you won't be able to transfer the data, but I didn't had any problems with it. YMMV).

While I can't say what would be the best port for you to buy (or whether it would make any difference for you at all), if you are really commited with the 100% idea, I'd suggest the PC version, if only because of this site made by meth962 [ http://rngeoff.com/FFX2SaveViewer/ ], where you can check what you missed. From what I've heard in the other board, the site was down for a little bit, but it seems to be back now.

User Info: StoryMania

StoryMania
6 months ago#6
You can find it so cheap (~$20 or less), so it's worth it for the extra content

youngval312
6 months ago#7
That save viewer seems super useful down the line so I will probably go PC, especially if I can get it off Steam or something. Thanks!
-Val Young-

youngval312
1 month ago#8
I ended up going Switch so I can play this in bed or on my TV >_> (and totally forgot about the 100% guide for PC...)

Only thing now is I'm having trouble finding a guide on which dress spheres to use, which abilities are best/useful, etc. I know the game is supposed to be easy but this stuff could still be handy! (I suck)
-Val Young-

demonguardian
1 month ago#9
As a general tip, I'd suggest you to just use the ones you find more fun to play as. Use Wait mode and maybe lower the ATB speed in the settings so you have more time to think/input your commands. Not sure if I'd call the game "easy" per se - it does gets a lot more manageable if you know what you're doing, but until then, you might struggle a lot given how fast-paced the battles can be.

With that said, even though you can beat the game using whatever you want (i.e. disregarding superbosses and stuff), not all dresspheres are equally balanced (and this isn't just about Mascot). While I didn't experiment all dresspheres to their full extent, here are my thoughts on each of them:
  • Gunner - Kind of a glass cannon. Can deal great dmg with enemies with high defenses, and no-wait abilities are pretty rare in this game, which can be pretty handy. Also, you can still use the Trigger Happy + Cat Nip combo for insane ammounts of dmg even with the later's nerf, it's just harder to use.
  • Thief - First Strike is pretty good. I generally don't use the dressphere too much since I focus on other DSs and the AP requirements for most abilities are kinda hefty. I rarely steal, but there's probably be some good stuff you can get earlier on, so the potential is there. Maybe?
  • Warrior - Can't say I'm a big fan of this one. Breaks become less and less useful as you progress (most enemies worth using them on are either resistant or immune by Chapter 5. Not sure if the chances are related by levels or whatnot). Statwise, she can be decent as a tank against some bosses. Sentinel can be pretty good, though. It's tricky to time it well, but it has saved me on a few tough encounters (one of the few consistent ways I can deal with Mega Tonberry as YRP).
  • Songstress - Unassuming at first glance, it's a very powerfull DS (mostly due to her buffs, though some of her Dances can be handy on a few occasions). A single cast of Matador Song makes you evade most physical attacks easily (it's basically the Darkness status on your enemies, just guaranteed to stick on since it's a buff on your girls). If you can spam the defensive songs (negates up to 10/12 of the dmg received) you can pretty much make any fight winnable unless the enemy has a few tricks on its sleeve, like % or fixed dmg attacks or status effects such as Petrification or Death.
  • Black Mage - Black Magic can be pretty good for most of the game. -aga spells are pretty powerful until Chapter 5 (and even then they can put on some good dmg against certain enemies). A common setup is to use a black mage with Black Magic lv2 and lv3 learnt and equipped with Wring (an acc you can obtain in Chapter 3 onwards) to cast spells instantaneously, which you can use and abuse with Wait mode and time your spells so the global ATB can barely move. As BiohazzardCR mentioned in the other topic, you can set reflect on your party and multi-target them with spells to deal more dmg against single enemies.
  • White Mage - Protect and Reflect goes a long way in their usefulness. Learning Life and Esuna is handy to enable them on the White Magic tab on the menu, so you don't have to waste items instead (though admittedly they are plentiful and pretty accessful). Pretty easy to farm AP with the DS by damaging your own units and spamming Pray. In terms of raw healing, Alchemist is usually better.
  • Gun Mage - Statwise they are pretty mediocre and their (natural) abilities are kind of bad, but if you go out of your way to get some good Blue Bullets, they can useful for the whole game. White Wind is a good multi-target heal that cleanses some status effects, Absorb makes her more self-sustainable, Heaven's Cataract can debuff both of the enemies' defenses (the infliction rate is better than Warrior's Breaks), Bad Breath is handy every now and then, Mortar and especially Annihilator can deal great dmg...
  • Lady Luck - Bribe can make you skip some annoying/dangerous battles if you so choose and/or let you grab some otherwise rare items. Luck/Felicity are basically the LCK version of Songstress' songs (which you can stack with for even better results). If you practice with the reels (and abuse the pause trick), you can get some pretty broken effects like Mighty Guard + and CONGRATS!, which trivializes most battles.
  • Trainer - I didn't experiment too much with this one. You get it kinda late and the AP requirements are kinda hefty. While it depends on which girl you are using, they seem pretty mediocre either way. They all have some status effects that are otherwise uncommon, and a few other things here and there - Yuna gets access to Holy elemental dmg right from the start (rip Warrior DS), Rikku can use some variants of the Thief DS and a "Cheer" move, and Paine gets a more supportive/White Mage-y abilities. I always liked the HP/MP Stroll abilities (and they are pretty cheap too), but they are very rarely useful since save spheres are everywhere.
  • Alchemist - Items lv2 makes it one of the best support units in the game. Spamming Stash Mega-Potion while your other units deal dmg is a bit of a brain-dead strategy, but it works for most stuff (especially random battles). Mix can bring some potent effects like Final Wall, but I pretty much never use them (White Mage's Protect and/or Reflect are usually enough).
  • Berserker - Quite a diverse toolkit, having access to a few status effects (including slow, which is kinda rare), a dispel move and a self-stamina tablet ability. Her "counter" passives, while good, are a little too expensive IMHO. Unhinge (lowers the target's ACC and EVA) works well with her Mad Rush skill (good dmg, but inaccurate). Hurt (deals dmg proportional to the user's HP) has the potential to deal a lot of damage, but it's better used by creatures since you can pump their HP without sacrificing an acc slot.
  • Samurai - Another one with a diverse skillset, but they are a bit more useful in general. At least in the self-buff department, attacks other than Sparkle/Fireworks are situational at best. Nonpareil is one of the few ways to increase your physical dmg and is arguably the best move for it. Similar to Berserker, the Samurai DS doesn't have much MP, but I feel like it needs it a bit more than Berserker (at least the way I play it), so you usually have to get around that.
  • Dark Knight - the tank class/DS. Until you get Mascot, this is the one you want to go with for defensive purposes. It's not only defensive statwise, but it also has a pseudo-ribbon as auto abilities. It also has access to Darkness (not the status effect), a skill that ignores defenses, so it deals pretty consistent dmg. It's also one of the few skills that's considered a "special" type, so it goes through physical and magical immunities.
  • Festivalist - Tbh, I've never bothered with the "new" DSs, so I don't have much to talk about them (or, if I do, take them with a grain of salt). I've heard that this one has pretty good stats overall, so you can use it as a tanky unit before Dark Knight, I guess. I've also read that Yuna can deal some good dmg with some lucky -aga spells early on, but other than that the DS is unremarkable.
  • Psychic - Telekinesis is similar to the Death or Eject status, with somewhat good reliability to boot (I've heard it even works on some bosses). Teleport is a nice tech for free extra dmg for attacking enemies from behind and avoiding some attacks. Express is basically Samurai's Hayate, but better since it also raises ACC. Excellence is your safeguard against big attacks, but doesn't last long. Seems to have good utility, though a bit boring to play as.
  • Mascot - Borderline broken, but understandable given what you have to go through to get it. Rikku's slightly worse than the others since she lacks a strong attack, but still great with everything else Mascot has going for it.

youngval312
1 month ago#10
Did you type that all for this post? I'm impressed and appreciate it!

First off, I'm a dolt and I had ATB set to fast for some reason. I guess I was thinking the speed of dialogue and not the speed of battle. I set it to slow and now fights are much more manageable.

I'm probably going to refer back to this a lot. I'm still in chapter 1 and I think I have every DS you can get in chapter 1, I've just been messing around a lot, slowly visiting each location, etc. Most fights are trivial because I leveled a lot and I haven't advanced the story (I'm not sure where to find a tough fight now without doing that...), but I found for tough fights I usually have one character as black mage, one as white mage, and the third as songstress, and then cast tier 3 elemental spells, heal, and use whichever dance is best to avoid attacks. I know this won't work in every situation, but so far it feels pretty solid if I'm struggling. Firaga is just busted this early, I guess.

I've been confused for the longest time over whether darkness/silence dance or the Matador song is better; I've been using the dances mostly because the song takes MP.

Never knew you could cast reflect on your party and then cast black magic spells on them to deal more damage to one enemy like that, that's awesome.

I'm using Psychic, Gun Mage, and Songstress/Warrior right now. I really like the Psychic's style and Gun Mage is pretty neat as well. Psychic does seem a bit limited in active abilities but it also seems like it will be pretty good vs elemental magic eventually. Gun Mage is just fun to me because I like to scan everything. And my third is Songstress mostly but also Warrior because it's Paine. I probably would use her Festivalist more to test that, but I'm not a huge fan of the look.

And of course when I get to chapter 2 that opens up more options anyway...

I will probably comment more later; I just can't write a lot at once and I'm early in the game.

Thanks again though!
-Val Young-
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X-2
  3. First Playthrough
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A