• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic Advance 2
  3. This is the worst "traditional" Sonic game I've ever played.

User Info: ticklemonster72

ticklemonster72
9 years ago#1
That includes 2D and 3D. I don't see how people can say games like Sonic '06 were terrible when there are ones like Sonic Advance 2. Seriously, I even enjoyed the Game Gear ones more, and I am including Sonic 1, 2 (only because of this one's infinite lives trick), Chaos, Triple Trouble, and even Blast in that statement. This is the ONLY Sonic game I've played were you are constantly thrown off speed boosters just to overshoot a platform in pretty much every level starting halfway through the game. Likewise, it is has the worst bosses of any Sonic game I've played. There is that boss where every time you attempt to hit Dr. Robotnik, you are slapped flat (against what?) by a metal hand, dying half the time whether you have rings or not. Once you finally get through the level you are on to get to a boss, even if you have all 2 of your lives, you end up losing. Unlike Sonic Advance 1, which was by no means a fantastic game, you have to start back at Act 1. By this time, you have probably memorized the level though so you can get through without losing lives. Then you get back to the boss and game over again. At some point you win the boss and get to the next level. You repeat this process again and again until you get to the final boss. Like a bad NES game, it has you replay every single boss before you get a single chance at the actual final boss. Again, you have only two extra lives before you start right back at the first boss. Thankfully, the character Cream fixes the boss problems with the game by making Cheese fight the bosses for you. Of course, you are scolded after winning the game for not getting all the chaos emeralds. You have to get SEVEN special stage tokens throughout each level to get to the special stages so you get to play the game while constantly pausing to read an FAQ with 3 seconds of game play at a time. Why did they do that?! Sonic 1 (16-bit) just had you win each level with 50 rings to get to the special stage. Sonic 3 & Knuckles had giant teleportation rings throughout each level that were easy to find so you did not need to destroy the enjoyment factor by having to look at an FAQ the whole time. Even Sonic 2 with its signposts was better than this. The special stages themselves are unplayably hard so you get to go through each level while reading an FAQ word for word time after time each time you just barely lose your single attempt given at the special stage. I can't think of one good thing about this game. Every aspect about this game is bad including the level design, the bosses, the special stages/how you get to them, and even the music is pretty mediocre most of the time. The only good thing about this game is the graphics in that they are adequate for GBA. I sure hope that the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is more like the excellent Genesis and Game Gear games than the atrocity of Sonic Advance 2.

User Info: Nickcool1996

Nickcool1996
9 years ago#2
I actually liked the extra challenges...makes you glad that you overcame them.
"(In an angry acting voice) Hello mother****ers! I'm Cleveland mother****ing Brown mother****ers!" -Funniest Quote EVER.
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic Advance 2
  3. This is the worst "traditional" Sonic game I've ever played.
  • Topic Archived