• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
  3. This game makes no sense (Spoilers)

User Info: PeeInMyPudding

PeeInMyPudding
12 years ago#1
Actually I'm sure it does make sense, I just don't understand it....at all. I have absolutely no idea what on earth is going on. I'm one of those people who whenever they see a movie they have no clue whats happening and always ask a thousand questions after the movie about what happened. Thats basically whats happening now. Please explain the plot to me.

I haven't beaten the game yet, I'm currently at the battle where you have to fight 6 Metal Gear Rays in a row and the colonel started acting like a lunatic. The plot really lost me in the long cut scene before fighting Vamp in the room with the oxygen water that kills you when you fall in it and he shoots knives at your shadow.
BRAWL CODE- 1976-9921-3897

User Info: joe042293

joe042293
12 years ago#2
Yeah, it's complicated. Oh, well. It's explained somewhat at the end of the game.
She's gonna wake up quite upset presumably, because there's now a Biro in her neck.

User Info: mikeburnfire

mikeburnfire
12 years ago#3
The Patriots are a secret group of individuals who control America. President Johnson wanted to be one, but the Patriots wouldn't let him. Solidus wants to completely destroy the Patriots and free America, but is willing to kill innocent people to do so.

That's as simple as I can make it. Beat the game now. It takes a few times through the game to really understand it.
I've completed three hundred missions in VR.

PeeInMyPudding
12 years ago#4
Ok, I beat the game and I got a few questions. MAJOR SPOILERS

1. At the end of the game, after the credits, Snake said the Patriots have been dead for 100 years. That was the last line of the game, as far as I know. What was the point of this and what is this "Sons of Liberty" I keep hearing?

2. Why did Raiden trust Rose?

3. What exactly was the colonel and Rose again?

4. How did fortune deflect all those bullets after Ocelot took off the Magnet thing?

5. What did Ocelot exactly want?

6. What happened after Liquid (in the form of Ocelot) got on the metal gear and dove into the water?

7. Why did Snake use Olga (in ninja form) to attack Raiden?

8. I kind of remember getting the impression Ocelot was tricked at the end. Who tricked him and why?

Now these are some pretty complicated questions, and of course I can't expect a single perosn to answer them all, nor do I expect them all to be answered. I just hope I can get as many answered as possible.

And thanks for the help, I thought I was the only person who didn't understand the game, at least now I know I am not alone.

User Info: HoratioCraw

HoratioCraw
12 years ago#5
1. At the end of the game, after the credits, Snake said the Patriots have been dead for 100 years. That was the last line of the game, as far as I know. What was the point of this and what is this "Sons of Liberty" I keep hearing?

The Sons of Liberty is what Solidus' terrorist group calls themselves. I'm not American but I believe it's a reference to some group of US Founders. It's also a reference to how Solidus wanted to restore Freedom and Liberty to the States. As for the Final Phone Call... I've only played the first act of MGS4, but apparently, it's all fake. As in, all the names were fake and there is no Wisemen Committee.

2. Why did Raiden trust Rose?

'Cause he loves her? I guess? I don't know. Anyways, probably because she told him she was pregnant during a Codec call, and at the end of the game she's holding her stomach. Honestly, no clue.

3. What exactly was the colonel and Rose again?

The Colonel was the AI of Arsenal Gear, manipulating Raiden's brainwaves creating an imaginary Colonel based off of Raiden's expectations of the real one. Rose was real until right after Raiden was pregnant. Then they switch her for an AI.

4. How did fortune deflect all those bullets after Ocelot took off the Magnet thing?

"She really is Lady Luck..." No Clue. Ocelot implies that Fortune has some psychic abilities. Probably that.

Don't take my word for this. As I haven't played MGS 4, and honestly... Who know with Ocelot. As far as I know, Ocelot was sent to the Big Shell to supervise the S3 program... Without actually knowing what the S3 program was. After the plan was a success, he had to kill them all to stop any information from leaking to the public, or the press.

6. What happened after Liquid (in the form of Ocelot) got on the metal gear and dove into the water?

Dunno. Went after the Patriots, made four or five Private Militias... You know, that sorta junk.

Apparently, it was the only way to get the elevator to work. I assume Olga's pretty high up, I don't know why they don't just use her keycard. Honestly, it was to build dramatic tension.

8. I kind of remember getting the impression Ocelot was tricked at the end. Who tricked him and why?

Ocelot thought S3 was Solid Snake Simulation, in actuality it was Selection for Social Sanity. Also, I believe he was given fake locations to the Patriots.
No one likes a smart ass, but we all love stars... A chronic sufferer of myxomatosis, Timothy Craw

PeeInMyPudding
12 years ago#6
Thanks for all the help man. Few more questions though.

1.) Whats the REAL 3s? What is its goal?

2.) Does Arsenal Gear have any value? Did the Patriots even actually want it? If not, why invest all the money in that?

3.) Where does the power of the weird life forms like the colonel come from? In other words, have do they have so much influence on America?

4.) Who has more power, the Patriots or the colonel life forms?

mikeburnfire
12 years ago#7
She's not psychic, just lucky. While it is never fully explained in the game, it's more than likely that her "Magnet-thing" malfunctioned and was switched back on by accident.

He is working for the Patriots and is their loyal lackey. The whole Big Shell incident is just an experiment and Ocelot is carrying it out.
MGS4 SPOILERSIn MGS4 though, you find out that he is only pretending to be the Patriot's lackey and that his real goal is to destroy them. When he was being 'taken over' by Liquid, it was just an act.END SPOILERS

It's never explained in the game, but
MGS4 SPOILERShe was busy planning an elaborate plan to destroy the Patriots by rebuilding GW and having Snake upload a virus that would destroy the entire Patriot AI nework.END SPOILERS

Olga was working for the Patriots and Snake was an unknown factor to them. By helping Olga, he was gaining the Patriots trust to help him aboard Arsenal Gear.

The ending is a bit confusing with all the "I tricked you, no I tricked YOU!" going on. I'll try to explain.

Fortune tries to backstab Solidus and hijack Arsenal Gear to destroy the Patriots.

Solidus reveals that he was going to LET Fortune backstab him so she could attack the Patriots. But a nuclear strike wouldn't stop them, and while she was busy drawing the Patriot's fire, Solidus was going to kill the Patriots one-by-one with a list he got from GW (and Raiden's blood, once GW was destroyed).

Ocelot reveals that everything that occured was set up by the Patriots called the "S3". It was all just a training exercize to see if the Patriots could take Raiden, a rookie with no real experience, and make him a legendary soldier on par with Solid Snake.

Another Patriot AI reveals to Raiden that the "S3" plan was NOT just an exercize to control a soldier's actions, but an exercize in controlling human will and subconsciousness in general. The Patriots want to control America. The fact that Raiden consistently believed the Patriot AI shows that it is able to control people, and the fact that the Patriot AI was able to handle the extreme circumstances of this particularly insane mission (fighting Vampires, immortals, man-to-Harrier-jet combat, multiple Metal Gears, etc) shows that they are prepared for even the craziest of situations.

1.) Whats the REAL 3s? What is its goal?
As I stated above, it's real goal is Selection for Societal Sanity. Its goal is to control the way people think.

2.) Does Arsenal Gear have any value? Did the Patriots even actually want it? If not, why invest all the money in that?
Arsenal Gear is not a giant weapon for them. It is a heavily guarded secret storage facility for GW, one of the four AIs for the Patriots.

mikeburnfire
12 years ago#8
3.) Where does the power of the weird life forms like the colonel come from? In other words, have do they have so much influence on America?
They're not life forms. A lot of what the Colonel tells you on the roof of Federal Hall is bullcrap. He and the rest of the Patriot AIs exist digitally and only came existence recently, around the turn of the century. But because the world is becoming more and more digital, the AI is able to control more and more information.

4.) Who has more power, the Patriots or the colonel life forms?
The Colonel, and Rose, near the end of the game, ARE the Patriots. GW was only one of the four AIs, there are still three more, and one of them is communicating with you.

I hope this answers your questions. The Patriots are "Big Brother", in every sense of the word. They want to protect you by controlling you. Digital control has allowed them to spread their influence and, in five years in MGS4, they will basically control the world. MGS3 tells you the origins of the Patriots, and MGS4 tells you who the original Patriots were, before they became an AI network.
I've completed three hundred missions in VR.

User Info: MojoMujari

MojoMujari
12 years ago#9
PeeInMyPudding, have you played any of the other MGS games?
If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!

PeeInMyPudding
12 years ago#10
No, just the first two.

Thanks so much for the help guys, I didn't expect to get this many responses!!!
BRAWL CODE- 1976-9921-3897 (Nocky)
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
  3. This game makes no sense (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A