• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Malacypse

Malacypse
1 year ago#1
This game really needs a sequel. What would you want to see in Dark Cloud 3?
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
--- Eric Cantona

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
1 year ago#2
As in, something new or an expansion of what the previous games already had? I didn't play the first game, but I believe the cast was bigger and think it would be interesting to be able to play as more chars (or at least make monsters actually good). I really liked the minigames (well, not Fishing Contest & Finny Frenzy, but I enjoyed the rest) and making/customizing... everything. I enjoyed all the different 'biomes'/dungeons you went through, but they could have had more quirks added to them - most of the difference in the dungeons, apart from the enemies, was just aesthetic, the only thing they brought to the table was different layouts for spheda and whether or not you could do some fishing. Also, I think they could've explored more the sidequests/recruitment of people, but it was decent (the variety of them was certainly a plus, though).

For new mechanics, maybe adding time traveling as a mechanic in combat? Or at least in more puzzles, since you seem to only be able to travel long periods of time. And perhaps using a team/party system, even though I usually hate the AI. A sidestory with some of the 'bad' guys as playable chars, for more character development would be nice IMHO. Also, more independent NPCs/companions, not just mindless bots that you place somewhere only to ask them something when it's convenient. I can't say if an open world would be better for a game like this, and I actually liked how the game was segmented in stages and chapters, but the linearity can be more of a problem for some.

That's all I can think off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a lot more that can be explored.

User Info: poplo909

poplo909
1 year ago#3
I want the spear weapons from dc1 back but I don't know what you could really do to make a new unique ranged weapon besides maybe bows, the weapon trees to be a bit more evened out (Monica's sword tree is beautiful, but the others are a bit lacking), and a bit more incentive to have fun with the town building. In 2 it only really needed to fit the polyn limit and hit a couple conditions but I always liked making them look nicer, just wish it meant anything.

But I expect to never see a sequel, because I gave up on that dream probably a decade ago.
PSN and steam- or4ca1nus3

User Info: DragonBlood87

DragonBlood87
1 year ago#4
demonguardian posted...
I didn't play the first game, but I believe the cast was bigger and think it would be interesting to be able to play as more chars

The cast was definitely bigger (six single-weapon-type characters, instead of two dual-weapon-type characters), but... well, sure, the concept sounds interesting, and could possibly be done in an interesting fashion, but the execution of it in Dark Cloud was just plain bad. You had to use Toan (the first character) on most floors, because he was the only character who could collect the Atla pieces scattered around them, so unless you were playing primarily as him, you had to switch characters very often (and it was not as streamlined of a process as in Dark Cloud 2 / Dark Chronicle) -- something that you would have to do anyways, as the developers liked to randomly stick arbitrary character-specific switches into the levels.

On top of that, it was more weapons to keep leveled at a time (and with around double the number of stats per weapon), and if you didn't, the game would actively punish you for it because of the Limited Zones on certain floors that would force you to use a specific non-Toan character.

Heck, some of them were quite punishing even if you were keeping everybody's weapons in good order, simply because the one-weapon-type-per-character thing meant that you got either ranged or melee on those floors, never both like in DC2. The worst example I can remember was having Goro, the hammer user, on a floor with quite a few of the mole-type enemies shortly after you get him. His attacks were slow (IIRC, he was the slowest-attacking of all melee characters), and with those jerks jumping around everywhere, it was very hard for me to deal damage without getting absolutely destroyed by them. I think I usually ended up cheesing them with bombs and such.

Personally, I think DC2 made a very good decision in narrowing the cast down to just two characters and giving each of them both a melee and ranged attack. It's just so much more manageable, and on top of that, it allows single-button switching between them.

poplo909 posted...
But I expect to never see a sequel, because I gave up on that dream probably a decade ago.

This. :(
Atheism - A non-prophet organization.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
1 year ago#5
I don't expect to see a sequel either (I was surprised enough that the game got a remake on the PS4), but it's still interesting to me to see what people liked or not about the game(s) and their ideas of what else could be done (whether in a less than likely sequel or any other game).

With that said, Malacypse, care to give your own ideas/opinions on the matter? It's your topic, after all.

User Info: slyfan926

slyfan926
1 year ago#6
I really do miss Max and Monica. Played the PS4 port and it felt so right. Just sad the game itself didn't age well. Level 5 moved on to Ni No Kuni.
Dallas Mavericks (2003-Present) | Minnesota Vikings (2015-Present)
ONCE, BLINK, and REVELUV <3

User Info: Andvareel

Andvareel
1 year ago#7
DC1 gave you lively georama towns. Finishing them properly was a somewhat challenging puzzle and when you finished them that felt like the areas were restored.

DC2 gave you customization. This was really cool. But since the stuff was kind of on the expensive side to build extra stuff (especially since it was basically cosmetic when you had real needs), and it was generally advantageous to not house people...the towns looked terrible. Sure, you could make awesome designs, but even then the townspeople didn't do anything and were too few for the area so they looked dead. But usually they'd look like a hodgepodge of the bare necessities thrown down haphazardly.

Somewhere in there is a happy medium.

In terms of the battle system... it's fun but everyone is more than aware of the severe balance issues. This has always been an issue in Level 5 games.

I don't know if the maps are randomly generated or simply taken from a pool, but like Diablo, it goes a long way to mix up random areas with designed areas. It would help break up monotony of many maps if there were a lot more unique portions of maps, even if they were otherwise mostly randomly generated for the sale of variation and padding time.

DragonBlood87
1 year ago#8
Andvareel posted...
DC2 gave you customization. This was really cool. But since the stuff was kind of on the expensive side to build extra stuff (especially since it was basically cosmetic when you had real needs), and it was generally advantageous to not house people...the towns looked terrible. Sure, you could make awesome designs, but even then the townspeople didn't do anything and were too few for the area so they looked dead. But usually they'd look like a hodgepodge of the bare necessities thrown down haphazardly.

The other issue being the Polyn limit. Even with it being purely cosmetic, I still tried to make DC2 towns look nice, and to house everyone. I always seemed to hit the Polyn limit before feeling like I was done with the town, though.

User Info: leeman3104

leeman3104
1 year ago#9
DragonBlood87 posted...
demonguardian posted...
I didn't play the first game, but I believe the cast was bigger and think it would be interesting to be able to play as more chars

The cast was definitely bigger (six single-weapon-type characters, instead of two dual-weapon-type characters), but... well, sure, the concept sounds interesting, and could possibly be done in an interesting fashion, but the execution of it in Dark Cloud was just plain bad. You had to use Toan (the first character) on most floors, because he was the only character who could collect the Atla pieces scattered around them, so unless you were playing primarily as him, you had to switch characters very often (and it was not as streamlined of a process as in Dark Cloud 2 / Dark Chronicle) -- something that you would have to do anyways, as the developers liked to randomly stick arbitrary character-specific switches into the levels.

On top of that, it was more weapons to keep leveled at a time (and with around double the number of stats per weapon), and if you didn't, the game would actively punish you for it because of the Limited Zones on certain floors that would force you to use a specific non-Toan character.

Heck, some of them were quite punishing even if you were keeping everybody's weapons in good order, simply because the one-weapon-type-per-character thing meant that you got either ranged or melee on those floors, never both like in DC2. The worst example I can remember was having Goro, the hammer user, on a floor with quite a few of the mole-type enemies shortly after you get him. His attacks were slow (IIRC, he was the slowest-attacking of all melee characters), and with those jerks jumping around everywhere, it was very hard for me to deal damage without getting absolutely destroyed by them. I think I usually ended up cheesing them with bombs and such.

Personally, I think DC2 made a very good decision in narrowing the cast down to just two characters and giving each of them both a melee and ranged attack. It's just so much more manageable, and on top of that, it allows single-button switching between them.

poplo909 posted...

This. :(

pretty much this. the larger cast was more of a pain in the ass than a good thing, while the 2 people worked better, they both had two weapons and an alt form which gave a lot more variation, steve and his different possibilities and monica's monster forms, and about the only weapon type we're missing out on is spears.

as for more ranged weapons, could do a boomerang, its got slightly less range but hits twice, bombs maybe, other long range magic types besides just a homing blast, like mines maybe.

demonguardian posted...
I don't expect to see a sequel either (I was surprised enough that the game got a remake on the PS4), but it's still interesting to me to see what people liked or not about the game(s) and their ideas of what else could be done (whether in a less than likely sequel or any other game).

With that said, Malacypse, care to give your own ideas/opinions on the matter? It's your topic, after all.

wasn't a remake, was just a rerelease of the ps2 version. it even still mimics the ps2 memory card.

also, another thing i like is, the elements acted basically like the type damagers, in that its an automatic boost against whoever's weak to it, instead of needing to switch the element with each enemy... though the magic wrist would be nice to swap elements for, the wind projectile is better than the others.
Here's an idea to make that rabbit harder: give him Gaea Rage. And don't even have the damage: just make it crash the game and delete your saves.

DragonBlood87
1 year ago#10
leeman3104 posted...
also, another thing i like is, the elements acted basically like the type damagers, in that its an automatic boost against whoever's weak to it, instead of needing to switch the element with each enemy...

Oh, good grief, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that was hella annoying. And Ruby's gates also typically ended up requiring you to switch elements (and, IIRC, two of the elements on her gate looked similar enough that I usually had trouble telling them apart visually -- fire and holy, maybe?).

For those of you who haven't played the first game: Each weapon had an element associated with its attack, and I do mean an element, as in singular. And, unlike in DC2, some enemies would resist damage from certain elements. If you had more than one elemental stat raised above 0, then you could switch to a different one -- but you had to open the menu and switch it there. If you were having to change it regularly on a floor, it was a big pain-in-the-rear. DC2's revised system of automatically using the best element for whatever you are hitting is a huge quality-of-life improvement.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers