• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  3. Sheba had it worse than Piers

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
10 months ago#11
It would be nice if Felix was acknowledged at all in DD. His demotion to silent protagonist in TLA seems to have been so complete he wasn’t even mentioned in passing by other characters like Piers was (since we can assume he actually was banished from Lemuria). As for the ship yeah it was a joke but it still doesn’t excuse the absolute mess of a plot that was DD. At least when you experience constant random distractions from your quest in the original games your quest still had the same carrot dangling at the end. DD you go from errand boy to causing the apocalypse to trying to stop the apocalypse you caused. It’s just a mess. Plus they had 8 characters for some reason when 2 of them get almost no screen time and only the final boss (not counting optional bosses) to fight when you do get them. Eoleo and Himi deserved better, even if Eoleo was just a lazy fire Piers with warrior classes.
And the bears what was left were cloaked in acid washed denim, and stately stones of rhine.

User Info: kamentierr

kamentierr
10 months ago#12
I'm currently replaying DD and still super early in the game, but on the entrance of Tanglewood before they explained the Djinn system, Garet mentioned how Isaac and Felix used to lead their group. The datalog also has an entry about Felix, he's described as the leader of the second group. So he's importance is acknowledged by the game.

I can't say much about the plot however. I've forgotten most of DD's plot... Maybe it's so bad that my mind blocked the memories. But so far it's been pretty good. The intro is super hype, but i can see the constant distractions thing even from the very beginning.
Some people are heroes, some merely clap as heroes walk by.

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
10 months ago#13
It’s honestly not that bad of a game, just lacks way too much in boss fights (the stretch of the game from the eclipse to the finale only has the final boss despite being like 30% of the story mode) and they cut a lot of stuff from TLA that made it replayable like new game+, hard mode and battle mode (ironically one of the playable demos for DD was called battle mode and functioned similarly, yet this was not in the final build). The dialogue overload was also cranked up to 11 since the bursts of gameplay between long af conversations was even shorter than in the GBA games which were already dialogue heavy.

But things like beast form and Himi as a mage Venus adept were pretty cool, too bad there wasn’t any challenge to warrant them.
And the bears what was left were cloaked in acid washed denim, and stately stones of rhine.

User Info: polishgenius

polishgenius
9 months ago#14
There are good bits (some very good bits) in Dark Dawn, but it suffers from three things: first, the aforementioned complete deviation from the actual point of the quest for the majoirty of the game, second, points-of-no-return with no warning in a game about exploring and collectables, and third, it pisses all over the lore both in the way it apparently makes magic work and the role of the Wise One etc, and in the new ancient magic kingdoms and features in places where in the original there is simply no place for such features to be (I maintan, without any evidence at all, that the developers wanted to make a game dealing with a far future going into how the world changed but someone made them rejig it to be nearer in time to the originals, with their children, and rather than fully rewrited the plot they just mooshed the two ideas together).

Story-wise the first two GSs were at their best for me when showing conflicts and interactions between two or three towns, and there are moments DD excells at that, and it also has some very effective dungeons.
oh, Abyss below, did Rake hide it!
  1. Boards
  2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  3. Sheba had it worse than Piers
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A