• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  3. Just finished a play-through

User Info: FolkenRawr

FolkenRawr
1 year ago#1
On some time off from work, so figured what the hell. As far as I can remember, I haven't played this since I had the physical copy back when it first came out to NA. About a decade ago, I gave my GBA and DS to my then toddler niece...who quickly deleted my files for pretty much everything, notably Tactics Advanced, whatever Pokémon, DWM and GS 1 and 2 - all of which 'caught 'em all' so to speak XD

That being said, I did play on an emulator on my phone. I only bother to bring this up, because I don't think I would have bothered finishing/playing past the intro otherwise. I didn't use any cheats or anything, but the 4x Speed literally makes the game ten times better. Seriously, the story and everything is fantastic but jfc. Waaaaay too much talking, and it just drags. And not only the dialogue, just movement in general really shows the original device's age - it's just slow.

Anywho. I did use a Gold Code l found, just because I didn't want to gimp myself from the jump. I did intentionally find a Code that wasn't like level 99 and all that. When Isaac joined, they were only like 3 levels ahead of my team. Level 37 or something.

In retrospect I kinda wish I decided on playing GS1 first, but I forgot just how much I love this series, and I remember TLA being just better. Still, I now regret not playing and then transferring my own file over to TLA. Such is life.

So yea, all in all this is damned near a 10/10. My major gripes really aren't that major, save one - maybe I'm alone here, but the game feels like it practically requires you to have a Guide. I even vaguely remember playing the same time as my buddy and hanging out at his house, while be both had the official Guide out. That just isn't fun to me. Like, getting all the Djinni, particularly the few that are random encounters in random ass spots that you have to legit look for is just ass. Pure ass. Felt like a cash grab tbh. My other semi major complaint is that some of the Dungeon puzzles weren't even hard, they were just tedious. Having to go some super roundabout route to do three things, just to be able to Move a pillar in front of you isn't hard. It's annoying. This is what I meant by my saying I probably wouldn't have bothered without the emulator 4x speed.

Another very minor gripe, is I think a common one - Psy and even Djinni Summons just don't feel worth it. I have never been a grinder in RPGs. I just don't have the patience for it lol. That being said, just by never Fleeing, I feel like I went way over the intended(?) levels for where I'd be at. Now I will say, after I beat the two Dragons and when I'd cleared the route to lighting the Torches to get to Doom Dragon, I did go back and farm up Critical Gear and what not, obviously just by farming I think Orichalcon, or whichever thingy is on Sea of Time Islet with the Wonder Birds, I did up with my team at level 57 - and that was with farming only 1 of like 5 drops naturally, and the rest I did beat the RNG. So I leveled a s*** ton by accident by the time I actually fought Doom. However, I did fight Star Magician and Sentinel around level 40-45ish and Dullahan around 55.

So to circle back to my point about Psy and Djinni. I didn't want to cheese any of the major end fights, so I didn't do any immediate Djinni Summons, but I would always get a couple Team Buffs, then immediately focus everything on getting Combo Summons. So I fought Doom like that, it was obviously crazy easy, but I did have to Wish Well, pay attention to the Djinni I used, etc. But a cake walk for sure. The funny part is, after the end, I wasn't paying enough attention and accidentally didn't save after the fight lmao. Luckily I fanatically hit the emulator Auto Save, because I've had other games crash on me in the past. So I fought Doom again. This time I decided to make it interesting and only used Djinni from my supports, making Combo Summons nowhere near as prevalent. Waaaaay easier this route. So, I reset and decided to fight Doom one more time, however this last round I decided to just try a no Psy, no Djinni fight. By far the easiest, fastest run. That to me is a massive flaw. As busted as 2 Excalibur, a Sol Blade and a Tisiphone is, it shouldn't demolish the efficiency of using 4 Ele Summons or the 5-7 Djinni Combos.

That being said, game is an absolute masterpiece. Right when I got Isaac and I got the Djinni to steadily make do it, my team became Ronin Felix, Paladin Garrett, Ronin Isaac, Ronin Jenna. Full Crit Gear on everyone for trash clearing, but kept the Crit +Earth Power Helm on Isaac because he had Sol Blade, and Jenna wore Ninja Gear for boss fights. I'm sure this was nowhere near an 'optimal' setup, but I love all the Team Buffs (and stats) from Ronin, and Paladin Garrett provided very sturdy Healing, and his low ~237 Speed was intentional to make use of Pure Wish typically being cast after the boss hit, so I'd start basically every turn at full.

But alright. Long post on a dead board, of a fantastic game :-p

P. S. One thing that did drive me crazy during the optional boss runs and forgeable/Crit gear farming was that I couldn't find a direct route from the west back to the east. Having to go all the way down from the south western continent to get to the far eastern islands and Yallam was just obnoxious. Again - 4x speed or I wouldn't have bothered.

P. P. S. I honestly can't remember if I ever got around to playing Dark Dawn. I doubt it, since early 2010s were a super busy point of my life (military, moving a lot, etc). I was really bummed when I looked and saw there isn't any type of transfer from TLA for it, not to mention the lackluster reviews. What do y'all think? GS1 worth playing again after having just beat TLA? Should I jump into Dark Dawn or should I skip both for now?
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jewstin-1884/hero/96459279
Dokkan Battle - GFQJustMe - 1682407820

User Info: FolkenRawr

FolkenRawr
1 year ago#2
Oh, two more things (It's a long game, I'm bored and have a lot to say XD)

I mentioned needing a guide - So I do feel the need to point out I DID have a tab of Iron Knuckle's guide the whole playthrough (awesome guide, thanks man!) but I'd say 95% or the time, it was just to reference Items and Djinn in the area/Dungeon. The remaining 5% I was either stuck because I would just get so confused and turned around that I'd use it to re-orient myself. The Lighthouse where you get Blaze to have the statues shoot the arrows to lift/fix the lighthouse thingy, had me so beyond lost with all the back and forth, lava or no lava. Had to use the Guide a LOT for that one. Not a fun Dungeon, by far the most annoying imo.

Also, I did make my own Mythril RNG break. I only skimmed the guide, and predominately deferred to the lazy person section where the guide creator had pre built breaks for major stuff. (Link Kirby, thanks man. Also, shout out for helping us lazy folks out!) That being said, his Mythril break was set for an encounter with three Lost Army thingies. Waaaaay too uncommon for my blood. Even encountering any of them was annoying. So, I played around a bit with a Soul and any other one enemy - Using the same basic setup of original Elements on the TLA team doing the same thing, but instead of casting Sleep on the enemy, simply cast a Team Buff. Rest is the exact same. Easy peasy!
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jewstin-1884/hero/96459279
Dokkan Battle - GFQJustMe - 1682407820

User Info: taervek

taervek
1 year ago#3
FolkenRawr posted...
maybe I'm alone here, but the game feels like it practically requires you to have a Guide.
Most games require a guide for 100%. You don't NEED all Djinn in order to beat these games, and only a few actually need a guide or walkthrough to tell you where they are.

As far as the final battle, Excalibur and Sol Blade are top-tier equipment. The final boss isn't much of a challenge on many games, if you get the extras.
No pixels were harmed in the creation of this message. Thousands of electrons, though, were horribly inconvenienced.

User Info: Kirby58

Kirby58
1 year ago#4
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game again. Still one of my absolute favorites. Dark Dawn is... something. It's not a bad game by any means, and if you've never played it, it is a fun romp through the same world with some familiar characters. But if you want to talk about difficulty, that game get's SO easy by the midpoint that it's baffling to me. I'm not sure they did much, if any, quality control on the difficult balance on that one, because with literally no grinding whatsoever you will be one or two shotting common enemies and facing no risk of death from any bosses. While not a difficult series (as you rightly point out in your post), DD gears down the challenge even farther. However, I enjoyed my two playthroughs just to get some more Weyard in my life.
Stay away from urinals; that's where all the dicks hang out.
  1. Boards
  2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  3. Just finished a play-through
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A