What do you need help on? Cancel X
- Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
I know this board is completely dead, but perhaps some soul out there can answer a few questions I have.
I've been playing this game recently in attempt to "complete" the records in exhibition (just normal, not gimmick, etc.). So far, I've defeated all characters (Star Aces) with 8 characters so far, but there's a few things that bug me.
1. What determines the speed at which a character gains their power? Paratroopa and Boo appear to get their power very fast compared to other characters. I suspect it's just how often a player moves, but honestly I'm not too sure. As far as I'm aware it could be anything from specific characters just get it faster to how the player hits the ball. I've tried just "running around" more, but it doesn't seem to help much, if at all. I've literally had Boo use his power on me 4 times before I could use mine one (with Mario).
2. What's the deal with Boo? Why does he fail to hit the ball (both the AI and when I play him). Sometimes he simply doesn't swing at it. Does anyone know why this happens? I don't think it happens with any other character, as as such, I think this is just a horrible bug with the game.
3. The Ace AI appears to be able to do things I cannot. For example, when defeating all Aces with Shy Guy, I had some major trouble almost entirely because my lob would rarely make it past half court unless I charged up for a long time. The AI Shy Guy can lob it incredibly far with NO charge up time. I'm guessing it's because the AI is simply placing itself better (i.e. ball height at time of hit), but I'm not positive on that.
4. Not exactly a specific question, but I'm curious about what others think regarding the best characters in singles (with powers). Without powers I'm about 99% sure it's Petey, but with them (since some characters such as Yoshi are balanced with powers in mind) I'm not so sure. My guess is Petey, Waluigi, Peach, and Daisy are the best, though so far I have some good feelings on Yoshi and Bowser Jr. too. Perhaps it might be a personal taste issue, but I cannot stand using Paratroopa. Incredibly short reach and his lunge often puts him too far away to return the next volley.
1. You mean for their Power Shot? There's an invisible Power meter for that. It appears in Power Tour for the GBA and the Wii remake of this game. I recall that it always went up depending on how much you charged up for a shot. It also went down if your opponent successfully completed a taunt.
2. I personally never had that problem with Boo, so I dunno.
3. Yeah, the CPU tends to do some things that we seemingly can't. We probably can do what they do in some way.
4. I'm pretty sure that no matter what, the Tricky characters are seen as the best due to their curve, so it would probably be either Boo or Bowser Jr. if the player knows how to really use them.
I appreciate your answers!
I recall that it always went up depending on how much you charged up for a shot.
Are you saying that charging up longer increases power? Or vice versa?
Also, I had no idea that taunts could actually reduce power (assuming it applies to this version). And I'm beginning to agree with you on tricky characters. They seem to be incredibly good when uses properly, except for that problem with Boo.
I've got a few more questions, and notes.
First, doing a taunt does indeed lower the power level of the opponent in this game, there's no question about it.
Second, I've been playing Boo more, and I'm still encountering the problem, but it appears to be remedied by hitting a button an additional time. For example, if you want to do a strong topspin, I would press A three times instead of 2. This of course doesn't always happen, so it's very disorienting when you press it when you don't need to, or vice versa. It happens most often when doing quick close range volleys with an opponent, but can really happen at any time and I'm not sure what causes it yet.
Anyways, the new questions:
1. Is there a "timed" hit mechanic in this game? I'm almost going to bet this is how the computer "seems" to hit the ball in ways I cannot. What I've noticed, I think, is that this only applies to strong topspin, slice, and lob shots (not totally sure on lobs though). An example of how I think to perform this is to simply do something like hit B twice (quite fast) JUST as the ball gets to you. It seems to be stronger than charging up for about half a second, but not as strong as charging up for a much longer time.
2. What determines the force of several of the power shots? Many power shots appear to hit with varying power, and I'd say Luigi's is the most noticeable here. For example, Luigi's power shot could move far faster than a smash, or sometimes it's almost as slow as a drop shot, yet I don't know what really causes this. My guess is what type of ball you are hitting (smash, power, slice, etc.) among other things like positioning. What I notice is, all power shots appear to hit faster when they are used on a smash or another power shot, but I can't say this with complete certainty.
Lastly, Boo doesn't seem nearly as good as Bowser Jr. so far (less speed, less power, less vertical and horizontal range, random failure at hitting the ball, worse dash, slightly worse topspin), but I'm not done with him just yet. Then again Bowser Jr. is a bit more predictable as he's almost always going to use topspin.
I've got a few more questions, and notes.
Sort of.I have this on the wii so I cant help you on that.
I think it depends on your character.
To you he is.Boo is awesome.Even as a partner he was good.
Oh yeah,Paratroopa is AMAZING at this game!
3DS friend code:0946-2562-0443
If they made a Rags(the nickelodeon)video game I would buy it.
- Topic Archived