• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
  3. Which version is best between PS2 and GC?

User Info: wEEman33_VI

wEEman33_VI
8 years ago#1
I see the Gamecube version is a lot more expensive, going for about $20 compared to $5 for the PS2 version.

Does that mean the Gamecube version is better? What are the differences between the two?
I don't even listen to metal anymore.

User Info: SigmaZeroX

SigmaZeroX
8 years ago#2
As one who has both versions, both have strengths and weaknesses.

Gamecube:

Strenghts -

The Gamecube version has the strength of an inventory system. If the generals, golems, and gargoyles are killed in front of an inaccessible area, the item will not be lost because the bag drops more leniently compared to the PS2 version, so the bag with the potentially important item will not fall into the inaccessible pit.

Weaknesses -

The framerate is a little choppier compared the PS2 version. Some slowdowns are comparable with the arcade version. Some of the earlier Gamecube versions have major hitbox and hurtbox issues that could either be helpful or detrimental for the player. There are no lifebars in some of the earlier Gamecube versions for golems, gargoyles, and bosses. (I learned that the later Gamecube versions fixed the latter two problems.)

PS2:

Strengths -

The PS2 framerate flows better than the Gamecube version. The PS2 version does not have as much slowdowns and the arcade and Gamecube versions. There are lifebars for golems, gargoyles, and bosses.

Weaknesses -

However, like the arcade version, the PS2 version does not have an inventory system. If a general, golem, or gargoyle get killed in front of an unaccessible area, the item dropped my fall into the unaccessible area and be unattainable in the PS2 version.

I prefer the PS2 version because I played Gauntlet Dark Legacy often at the arcades, so I could live with not having an inventory system. In addition, the game flowed real well in the PS2 version, even with several players around. I also had the earlier Gamecube version because there were no lifebars on the golems, gargoyles, and bosses.

In the end, the decision is up to you.
MegaMan X Command Mission: My video of destroying Ninetails with No Hypers, No Substitutions, and No Deaths:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hawu7f2XUzA

User Info: wEEman33_VI

wEEman33_VI
8 years ago#3
Thanks, I picked up the PS2 version and the framerate is flawless so far.

I am through world 1 (minus the boss) and am just starting world 2.

I don't miss the inventory system since I mostly played the Dreamcast version of Gauntlet Legends, which had no inventory.
I don't even listen to metal anymore.
  1. Boards
  2. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
  3. Which version is best between PS2 and GC?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A