• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  3. Great to see this game still going after all this time.

User Info: Toadsworth

Toadsworth
1 month ago#21
Just_a_loser posted...
I never liked wielding both a sword and a lightsaber myself. Just seems..weird.

I ended up switching to dual saber since I had never had Yavin Station on my original playthroughs (Heart of the Guardian and Mantle of the Force Crystal), but I was getting more damage with Baragwin Blade/Bacca Blade anyway, plus it seems unique to me, not..weird.

🤷‍♂
"It isn't knowledge that's making trouble, but the uses it's put to."

User Info: Toadsworth

Toadsworth
1 month ago#22
lionheart3657 posted...
Yep, if you're talking about one of the greatest twists of all time, then I'm familiar. I bought the game back when I was a kid, but I didn't get to play it. Instead, a friend would play it at my place when we finished doing homework so I actually know the story bits here and there. The twist was great, it's actually why I decided to give this game another fair chance. Back then, I preferred JRPG's and console RPG's compared to western developed RPG's since those were more a slog for me to get through (e.g. I hate picking up every single item on the ground like in Elder Scroll, Bioshock, Fallout, etc.) and I don't have a lot of the patience for those kinds of things.

Ok, cool. Yeah I was hinting around at that. It's always fun seeing someone go in blind, but it's harder and harder these days, as even people who haven't played the game or aren't even fans of Star Wars are sometimes made keen to the plot twist. Either way, enjoy the ride! Which it seems as you are!
"It isn't knowledge that's making trouble, but the uses it's put to."

User Info: lionheart3657

lionheart3657
1 month ago#23
Toadsworth posted...
Ok, cool. Yeah I was hinting around at that. It's always fun seeing someone go in blind, but it's harder and harder these days, as even people who haven't played the game or aren't even fans of Star Wars are sometimes made keen to the plot twist. Either way, enjoy the ride! Which it seems as you are!

Honestly, I wish I didn't remember the twist so that I can experience the story for the first time ever. However, at the same time, the reason I remembered to play this game is because I was just thinking to myself,"What were some of the coolest stories I've ever seen/read? Which haven't I finished? I should give that a shot." KOTOR obviously came up in that thought process. I'm glad I'm giving the game a shot. It's really fun.

I just got HK-47 last night. I didn't even know he was in the game since my friend must've missed him 17 years ago. Seriously, he's a random character in the corner of a small Droid shop I nearly missed. I only found him by going into every building in Tattooine. I'm trying to raise my Repair skill to fully unlock his memories. I only managed to do the first two to unveil his previous masters. I find him amusing so far... it's so hard to decide who to take with me. I love all the characters so far. I wish I could take all of them out with me. But I guess that's what replays are for...

User Info: EvilTyger

EvilTyger
4 weeks ago#24
lionheart3657 posted...
Honestly, I wish I didn't remember the twist so that I can experience the story for the first time ever. However, at the same time, the reason I remembered to play this game is because I was just thinking to myself,"What were some of the coolest stories I've ever seen/read? Which haven't I finished? I should give that a shot." KOTOR obviously came up in that thought process. I'm glad I'm giving the game a shot. It's really fun.

I just got HK-47 last night. I didn't even know he was in the game since my friend must've missed him 17 years ago. Seriously, he's a random character in the corner of a small Droid shop I nearly missed. I only found him by going into every building in Tattooine. I'm trying to raise my Repair skill to fully unlock his memories. I only managed to do the first two to unveil his previous masters. I find him amusing so far... it's so hard to decide who to take with me. I love all the characters so far. I wish I could take all of them out with me. But I guess that's what replays are for...

Highly,highly worth it. Then next playthrough, recruit him late game. Can't do the repair upgrades for storyline reasons, but.. you'll know why he reacts differently.

User Info: railroads

railroads
4 days ago#25
lionheart3657 posted...
Yep, if you're talking about one of the greatest twists of all time, then I'm familiar. I bought the game back when I was a kid, but I didn't get to play it. Instead, a friend would play it at my place when we finished doing homework so I actually know the story bits here and there. The twist was great, it's actually why I decided to give this game another fair chance. Back then, I preferred JRPG's and console RPG's compared to western developed RPG's since those were more a slog for me to get through (e.g. I hate picking up every single item on the ground like in Elder Scroll, Bioshock, Fallout, etc.) and I don't have a lot of the patience for those kinds of things.

However, over the years, JRPG's have become a dying genre and the games that do come out are just as convoluted, difficult, or typically inaccessible (e.g. Xenoblade series) or completely holds your hands. So at this point, if I play a game, I'd rather not have hand holding and if I have to spend time to learn a system, I may as well take a look back at some of the greats of the western RPGs.

I always looked back fondly on Star Wars: KOTOR since everyone I lent the game to absolutely loved it. I just never loved western RPG's or Star Wars. But... the game has definitely captured my attention and just hasn't let go. It's so involving and well done with the writing and immersion.

So the weird part is I remember generally what happens, but the big twist is obviously what I remember most about it. I just don't remember the details before and after, so it's essentially a new experience for me.

I'm currently bidding for KOTOR 2 on Ebay right now. Hopefully tha'tll be great, too. That game I actually never touched so that'll be a completely new experience for me.

Edit: The moment I realized I loved this game is actually when you fight the Sith Governor on Taris. The battle wrecked me within seconds. So I was forced to actually sit down, look through my inventory/skills, and figure out a strategy to win. I ended up using items, which I rarely do in RPG's since JRPG's don't typically have difficulty that makes me use items. The adhesive grenades and frags came in handy. When I realized the difficulty forced me to actually think... I loved the game.

Second moment that made me realize how much I loved the combat is fighting the Mandolarian gangs on Dandooine. They were tough enough I had to use the freeze system to control all my party members to coordinate attacks. I loved it, absolutely brilliant.

Star Wars: KOTOR inspired me to get KOTOR 2 and I also just bought Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on the Switch.

I only had this game since it came bundled with my Xbox purchase which I got so I could play Halo. We were able to link up a second Xbox + TV so we could all play 4v4.

I wasn't a huge star wars fan and although I loved RPGs when I saw this game I just ignored it and let it collect dust for months. It just didn't look appealing but one day when I was bored I threw it in and wow... 3 straight days of playing since it just sucks you into the story and characters so quickly. My only real criticism of the game is:

The final stages of the game is fantastic and well done but the endings are pathetically short and devoid of any meaningful speech / text and content. After such a massive story driven game with so many awesome characters it's such a let down. I get they need to leave it open for a sequel but they could have put some nice scenes with the characters based on your decisions during the game. This ranks highly on my all time biggest let down on endings for any type of media.

It's too bad that you can't play it without any knowledge of the story but missing HK-47 is huge so that must have been a fun discovery. He has some classic lines during the game.

User Info: EvilTyger

EvilTyger
2 days ago#26
I prefer playing light side... but I love the dark side ending. It's just too bad the second game couldn't run with that.

User Info: ssn560

ssn560
1 day ago#27
Of course, it's still one of the best RPGs to play even after all this time. The story is great, the combat is fun (and that is coming from someone who doesn't usually like any form of turn based combat), the characters are interesting, the world is alive, the side quests aren't stupidly tedious like some games and they usually tie into the main story of the planet, and can even provide some alternative outcomes.
Xbox Live Gamertag: ReddestSkies
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  3. Great to see this game still going after all this time.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A