• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Toadsworth

Toadsworth
1 month ago#21
lionheart3657 posted...
Hm, I never immersed myself with the extended universe/legend stuff so I guess I was never in the know with everything. I've only watched the original and prequel trilogies as well as the games. What were some good developments from the EU?

Is KOTOR part of the EU and is that now retconned out?

Ugh. I was in the process of typing up a relatively long post, and had switched tabs on mobile, and it deleted everything. So this post will be shorter. Anything by Timothy Zahn is good (Thrawn Trilogy, Choices of One), Troy Denning (Dark Bane Trilogy, Tantoonie Ghost), and Drew Karpyshyn (the writer of KoTOR 1, Bane Trilogy, Revan)

The Mind's Splinter is a unique read as it gave us a follow up to ANH when Lucas himself was unsure if it would ever be more than a stand alone film (not that he didn't have the storyline potentially planned out, but if it hadn't been such a success at the Box Office).

As for KoTOR. At least Revan himself is Canon. He was made canon just recently via Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary. We don't know how much of the story was the same, if any companions are thus canon, etc. He's still referred to as a Sith Lord, however, which may mean his redemption arc never took place? Or that he was still splintered between Light and Dark like how in TOR.
"It isn't knowledge that's making trouble, but the uses it's put to."
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Toadsworth

Toadsworth
1 month ago#22
I never got into the comics, but there are many EU comics out there as well.
"It isn't knowledge that's making trouble, but the uses it's put to."

User Info: lionheart3657

lionheart3657
1 month ago#23
Toadsworth posted...
Ugh. I was in the process of typing up a relatively long post, and had switched tabs on mobile, and it deleted everything. So this post will be shorter. Anything by Timothy Zahn is good (Thrawn Trilogy, Choices of One), Troy Denning (Dark Bane Trilogy, Tantoonie Ghost), and Drew Karpyshyn (the writer of KoTOR 1, Bane Trilogy, Revan)

The Mind's Splinter is a unique read as it gave us a follow up to ANH when Lucas himself was unsure if it would ever be more than a stand alone film (not that he didn't have the storyline potentially planned out, but if it hadn't been such a success at the Box Office).

As for KoTOR. At least Revan himself is Canon. He was made canon just recently via Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary. We don't know how much of the story was the same, if any companions are thus canon, etc. He's still referred to as a Sith Lord, however, which may mean his redemption arc never took place? Or that he was still splintered between Light and Dark like how in TOR.

No worries, thanks for the summary. I'm sure there's more, but maybe I'll check this stuff out once I finish KOTOR. I think had I given KOTOR a fair chance back in 2003 or whenever it came out, I would've been a much bigger Star Wars fan. Seriously, I personally think none of the movies hold a candle to world building, story, and dialogue that I'm experiencing with KOTOR. I typically roll my eyes while watching the prequels because of how poor the dialogue and story beats are (it's sad that I think Episode 1 is the best of the prequel trilogy) and even the original trilogy I consider decent (though I give it a pass because it was the first of a lot of things and it set the bar for everything else aftewards)... I look at the new trilogy with less fondness than even the prequel trilogy because I think the prequel trilogy at least did things differently from the original trilogy whereas the new trilogy feels like it does nothing new except certain events for shock factor.

I kind of wish KOTOR was a basis for another prequel trilogy or Disney Plus show or something. I'm glad Revan is at least acknowledged in the new timeline from Disney somehow. I'll have to check up on that after I finish KOTOR.

User Info: EvilTyger

EvilTyger
4 weeks ago#24
What I'd like to see is Old Republic MMO for consoles.

Then use that game and the existing voice acting assets to make 'Legacy' missions where three players can take the roles of various characters to replay events from the KotOR games.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A