• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XI
  3. 2 week free trail

User Info: Matd426

Matd426
6 months ago#1
I’ve always wanted to play this game but never got to since this come out when I was younger and didn’t have online play at home. I saw that it has a two week free trail on it. I don’t want to invest a lot of money into this but just want to finish the main story quests since I’ve played all the other games. Any insight on the free trial? I read on the page and it seems like you basically the whole game but wasn’t sure. I don’t care about making party’s and trading with people I just wanna know if I can binge grind the game for 2 weeks and finish all the main story quest for the original game (No expansions) before the trial is over.

User Info: firedemon 2600

firedemon 2600
6 months ago#2
You're wondering if you can binge grind the 5% of the game that's not involved in any expansion in 2 weeks? Seeing as the first expansion was released in October 2003 for North America, enjoy.
<<<Submerged in dirt but it was never enough to quell the fire in the back of my lungs>>>

Matd426
6 months ago#3
firedemon 2600 posted...
You're wondering if you can binge grind the 5% of the game that's not involved in any expansion in 2 weeks? Seeing as the first expansion was released in October 2003 for North America, enjoy.

that’s an odd way of saying yes but thanks!
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: vegetaken

vegetaken
6 months ago#4
Was trying to figure out really what the trial is about but this seems to be a nice guide.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Free_Trial_Guide

Would highly recommend picking up your trusts (fake party members) ASAP. These will allow you to "solo" much more efficiently.

Don't worry about race, its not that big of a deal.

Each nation has its own flavor, I personally like bastok the most and sandy the least.

Your 1 character can switch to any of the unlocked jobs, so not too much reason to try leveling 3 characters. *edit* Actually if you wanted to start each city's story, making a character in each is a viable way. But do not worry if you want to be a taru in Bastok...its allowed and the only thing you miss out on is a easily replaceable/ignorable ring.

A fair warning, many classes can be very boring early. Mostly the melee classes are snooze fests. Most abilities have very long cool downs and instead were given much more weight than spamming MMOs. Think original wow with having a fireball as your move for the beginning and thats it. This game was much more geared to working together than any MMO i've played and the beginning is really a poor example of how the end game plays out.

I do hope you get to enjoy it a bit! Don't get burned out and honestly, if you hate it and still wanna do the story...grab a youtube video of it. You lose the immersion factor but at least you can watch it in a continuous state. As much as I enjoyed many of the stories, it was annoying that you sometimes had to wait hours/days/weeks to progress.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
(edited 6 months ago)

Matd426
6 months ago#5
vegetaken posted...
Was trying to figure out really what the trial is about but this seems to be a nice guide.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Free_Trial_Guide

Would highly recommend picking up your trusts (fake party members) ASAP. These will allow you to "solo" much more efficiently.

Don't worry about race, its not that big of a deal.

Each nation has its own flavor, I personally like bastok the most and sandy the least.

Your 1 character can switch to any of the unlocked jobs, so not too much reason to try leveling 3 characters. *edit* Actually if you wanted to start each city's story, making a character in each is a viable way. But do not worry if you want to be a taru in Bastok...its allowed and the only thing you miss out on is a easily replaceable/ignorable ring.

A fair warning, many classes can be very boring early. Mostly the melee classes are snooze fests. Most abilities have very long cool downs and instead were given much more weight than spamming MMOs. Think original wow with having a fireball as your move for the beginning and thats it. This game was much more geared to working together than any MMO i've played and the beginning is really a poor example of how the end game plays out.

I do hope you get to enjoy it a bit! Don't get burned out and honestly, if you hate it and still wanna do the story...grab a youtube video of it. You lose the immersion factor but at least you can watch it in a continuous state. As much as I enjoyed many of the stories, it was annoying that you sometimes had to wait hours/days/weeks to progress.

@vegetaken
thanks for the info and beginner tips, I really just want to play the main missions and get whatever the main story is. I’ve literally played all of the Main title Final Fantasy except this one so I really wanna play it. I finished the main story in 14 but still have a lot to do since I bought the complete edition and have only finished the main story line and I haven’t started any of the expansions yet.

I’m not big on MMO games or pay to play so I’m literally gonna binge the game for 2 weeks and get the most out of it, and then i can finish off 14. Like I said if I like it I may play it more, I liked 14 more than I thought and really wanna finish all of it. Thanks again for all the info!!
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
5 months ago#6
Buying the game when it is on sale for $10 gets you 30 days of play time with no need to pay anything extra, and doesn't have the limits of the 14 day trial. The game is discounted during return campaigns, which they always have the weeks of May 16th and November 11th.

The main story is the missions on the wiki, which includes expansions. FFXI The Movie on YouTube has all the cutscenes, and it takes about 400 hours just to watch those. Doing the core game with no expansions is barely any of the story of the game. Rank 6 is a drop in the bucket, and the story wasn't very good back then. Rhapsodies shows what they were able to do with more experience with the cutscene engine.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.whitneyrines.com/
(edited 5 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XI
  3. 2 week free trail
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A