• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. So what version do you recommend

User Info: Nabgil

Nabgil
1 month ago#1
This game is now out on several platforms, which one is your favorite and why? Feel free to mention snes version if you feel that is the best one, but I am looking for the best version aside from the snes cartridges. Talking of snes version, they had some minor differences aswell?

Any and all replies are much appreciated :)
44 69 73 70 65 6c 6c 65 64 20 63 75 72 73 65 20 6f 6e 20 73 68 69 65 6c 64
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard
1 month ago#2
So versions of the game as they exists: SNES, GBA, PSX, Android/Steam.

I prefer the SNES version, and have played all of the others. Here's my reasoning.

GBA: While this one is almost as good, and does even fix some of the bugs present in the SNES version, it introduced it's own bug, and that one being the sound quality. I know it sounds weird, but that one's a deal breaker for me. Uematsu's work on FFVI is amazing, and I hate that it gets cheapened by the limitations of the GBA hardware/software. This version does have bonus post-game content, which is good, but still hard for me to get past that sound issue.

PSX: This is a port, and suffers because of it. It's code is identical to the SNES release, but with the added problem of disc loading time. Why would I choose to play this one when I can play the same game but smoother with the SNES version? Also, because it's a port, none of the post-game/bonus content is included.

Android/Steam: Added some decent gameplay/quality of life features, but the art direction? No thanks. The new artwork just seems out of place and everyone of your characters models is sticking out their chest. Yes many of the monsters/bosses look better and sharper, but the models that you spend the most time seeing, your characters, look worse IMO. Although, for the post-game content, I will rather play this version than the GBA version.

Still waiting for a definitive PSP version of FFVI like they did of FFIV, but that's not going to happen. Oh well.

User Info: tonberrymasta

tonberrymasta
1 month ago#3
Brother Maynard was on point, so there's not much to say here. To reiterate:

GBA: Extra content, but bad sound and small screen.
PSX: Nice cinemas and a full bestiary but terrible loading.
Android/Steam: Yuck.

I would actually say the best version to play is the original Super Famicom version because it was uncensored and doesn't have any of the above issues. The SNES version though is my second favorite.

User Info: BlackJackCat

BlackJackCat
1 month ago#4
The SNES version is all around better with the available options of hacking to fix bugs and tweak content (Brave New World, Eviltype, and others)

If you just want the vanilla game and don't care about the sound quality being inferior, GBA has the better translation by far, and a smidge less explosive oddities.

The PSX version should be avoided like a disease if the other two options are accessible. I don't know how many hours it adds to play time, since I haven't played it on PSX in years, but it will add up eventually depending on how you play.

I can't personally speak to the mobile ports, but as mentioned, they look disgusting, and from what I have seen they look unpleasantly cluttered on the battle screen, but this is just an observation made from afar, so I could be wrong on that last part (not the disgusting part, that doesn't require playing it to see that) But I have heard they're actually passable, again, I'd treat this as a substitute in lieu of the SNES and GBA version. It might be above the PSX version if it doesn't have long load times, but I can't speak to that personally.

User Info: Hurricane Jesus

Hurricane Jesus
1 month ago#5
SNES played on BSNES.
Gamer for life!

User Info: Arbalist

Arbalist
1 month ago#6
SNES version, the GBA being second if you don't mind the lesser sound quality or washed-out graphics. Both the PSX and Steam version should be avoided IMO.
Eating an entire clock is very time-consuming.

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
1 month ago#7
Brother Maynard posted...
GBA: While this one is almost as good, and does even fix some of the bugs present in the SNES version, it introduced it's own bug, and that one being the sound quality. I know it sounds weird, but that one's a deal breaker for me. Uematsu's work on FFVI is amazing, and I hate that it gets cheapened by the limitations of the GBA hardware/software.
Isn't that also where they f***ed up the opera music?
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5

User Info: Lord_Zenki

Lord_Zenki
1 month ago#8
I just want to add my 2 cents: if you want all the extra content added by the GBA version, and if you're playing on emulator (I understand this won't always be the case, but you can even do it on your phone), there exists a patch for the audio that restores it to the SNES quality.
FC: 0748-7304-9172
Pokemon Ultra Moon IGN: Zenki

User Info: Nabgil

Nabgil
1 month ago#9
Lord_Zenki posted...
I just want to add my 2 cents: if you want all the extra content added by the GBA version, and if you're playing on emulator (I understand this won't always be the case, but you can even do it on your phone), there exists a patch for the audio that restores it to the SNES quality.

I believe thats what I’m gonna do next :) I never played the extra content
44 69 73 70 65 6c 6c 65 64 20 63 75 72 73 65 20 6f 6e 20 73 68 69 65 6c 64

User Info: tonberry2k

tonberry2k
1 month ago#10
FF6 GBA's palette is washed-out, too. I like the SNES's dark, dingy palette.

I think, content-wise, PSX is identical to the SNES, except for a single line.
www.spriters-resource.com
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. So what version do you recommend
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A