You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. How to not become OP in FFVI without missing too much content?

User Info: aavesopuli

aavesopuli
1 month ago#21
Thanks everyone! I finished the game, except the dragons den where Death Riders suddenly appear and just kick my sweet unprepared butt!

FF6 was my second final fantasy ever, FF9 was the first. To compare them:

FF9 had a bit more emotional story and character development, so storypoints go there
FF6 was WAY more fun to play + i also liked the story alot!

But in terms of the plot - twists, surprises, unexpected events - they were better in FF6, but FF9 made me cry more and fall in love with characters more than FF6 :D FF9 had many parts where i didnt know/care what was happening (getting some crystals to open portals blah blah haha) but i think how the characters and their stories were written was just SO beatiful and engaging! In a way, FF6 story was more entertaining, but FF9 was touching and deep.

I was a bit sad that Celes's story arch kind of ended after she left the island.. A bit more writing about how she becomes strong and independent would have been amazing! And the romance of Celes and Locke - what happened?

I think im going to write something longer to compare them, might be interesting to FF fans. I think i chose pretty well to start with FF9 and FF6! Now im starting FF8 because i got it cheap on steam, but the Junction system and drawing magic is a bit annoying. Maybe i get used to it. After that its time for FF7 and then FF10.

FF9 will be a game i play every time i have hard times. I would have never believed that any game would be so emotional and warm :D

But FF6 was a great experience! I managed to definitely not make it too easy! I was limiting my use of espers in a way, that i chose certain sets of spells to teach to different characters. Only Terra, Celes and Locke could learn all kinds of spells, and for the others i limited it greatly. I also didnt get ultima spell for anyone, and i limited the most powerful relics to just 2 pieces (ribbon, celestriad, etc.) I had to fight the monster before kefka 5 times to beat it, so i think challenge was just enough :) I also got just 1 ragnarok, and i didnt get illumina blade or the paladin shield. Thanks for all the tips!

By the way, i didnt miss Shadow! I waited :D It was scary though haha!

Only thing i missed, i think, was shadows dreams! Didnt see any of them :( But next time!

Amazing game - definitely in top 4 games i ever played, with FF9 being the #1!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Dark_Arbron

Dark_Arbron
1 month ago#22
aavesopuli posted...
Now im starting FF8 because i got it cheap on steam, but the Junction system and drawing magic is a bit annoying. Maybe i get used to it. After that its time for FF7 and then FF10.

FF8 = love it or hate it. I can definitely see how some people find it dull and a little stilted, at least as far as the battle system goes.

FF7 and FF10 are very colorful and exciting though. I don't think anyone's disputing that.

aavesopuli posted...
I had to fight the monster before kefka 5 times to beat it, so i think challenge was just enough :) I also got just 1 ragnarok, and i didnt get illumina blade or the paladin shield. Thanks for all the tips!

Now that you're done I can spoil something here-

On phase 1, the bottom left arm ("long arm") can be killed with Doom or the Air Anchor.
On phase 2, the left-most target ("magic") can be silenced, and the middle target ("tools") also succumbs to Doom or Air Anchor.

It's hilarious how these big, imposing multi-part battles can often be halfway crippled right off the bat.

Neo Exdeath was the same deal. One of the four parts was not heavy type, meaning it was open to all sorts of nasty effects that heavy type basically exists solely to block (similar to instant death protection in FF6, but more extreme), and another was outright vulnerable to petrify. That meant this massive super-powerful badass final boss could be 50% neutered in the first two rounds.
Roll a d6. 1-2 ascending colon. 3-4 transverse colon. 5-6 descending colon.
This is a universal recipe for determining right wing sourcing. -EPR-radar
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. How to not become OP in FFVI without missing too much content?