You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. What are the flaws of the game's story? And can it be improved?

User Info: Guergy

Guergy
2 months ago#1
I enjoy the game as much as everyone else but I also wonder if there are flaws in the story that often get overlooked or how can it be improved?

User Info: kingbob808

kingbob808
2 months ago#2
Mostly just fix the contradictions created by the translations.
Spoilers above

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
2 months ago#3
The only thing that really stands out to me is Celes getting the rank of General at such a young age.
Playing: FFVI 4 character no magic challenge - Terra, Edgar, Sabin, Gau; Dragon Quest V - Stockenbarrel
On hold: FFVII. Up next: FFX-2, DQVII

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
2 months ago#4
Since Gestahl found Terra as a baby, why wasn’t she raised as a general like Celes?
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: LazyWaysef

LazyWaysef
2 months ago#5
I think the Celes general thing is a bit more believable in the sense that she was created as a super soldier and bred from birth for it. I think this is why Cid says she was made to do horrible things, she was basically a child soldier. Still I could see your point. General is pretty high up :)

For me, there is a lot of gameplay/story segregation, some attacks are downright wacky but let’s ignore stuff like slots. Why can people in Zozo use actual magic spells? A bit odd to say the least.

Plus, Banon and Arvis are kind of a loose end, were they saved from Vector, killed there, we spend a lot of time mourning general Leo but no mention from the gang about this guy that I had to protect on a river or else we just couldn’t go on?
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#6
I always found it funny how Celes just happened to both look and sound like Maria enough to play her part during the opera.
If you see very weird misspellings in this post, it is probably because I have used my phone and got "auto-corrected" in undesirable ways.

User Info: wpot

wpot
2 months ago#7
I little more info about the Triad would be nice. Some sort of Banon resolution, as mentioned above. A bit more info on Shadow...specifically what had he done that was SO bad he had to kill himself during the end-game party (just after saving the world and presumably atoning for most anything). Some sort of ending for Cid other than wandering on a ruined island. A bit more Celes character development, maybe...you kind of get a sense for her, but all you really have are her actions.

These aren't really 'flaws' per se...just areas where I want more.

Or else some sort of explanation why jumping into a raging current with a helmet makes sense. :)
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

User Info: LazyWaysef

LazyWaysef
2 months ago#8
@Peter_19 yes lol a lucky coincidence indeed! I always thought she probably didn’t quite sing like her but was close enough for government work. Like maybe if this were a movie, there would be some confused faces in the audience :)

@wpot agree with all of those but especially Cid. Something I had erroneously remembered was in this game was that he had a unique greeting line for each new party member you bring to meet him. Turns out I was thinking of cronos mom in chrono trigger. Instead Cid doesn’t even have a new line from when you healed him, he’s still just thankful lol.
(message deleted)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#10
LazyWaysef posted...
@Peter_19 yes lol a lucky coincidence indeed! I always thought she probably didn’t quite sing like her but was close enough for government work. Like maybe if this were a movie, there would be some confused faces in the audience :)

To be fair though, this game is incredibly random in general anyway, and breaks rules and logic all the time.
Sabin's scenario is the perfect example of that, and then we also have all the boss fights that happen absolutely anywhere (Baren Falls, free-fall before Floating Continent, and so on);
it's as if the game developers had been like "we haven't had a boss fight in a while, let's have one here", lmao.
If you see very weird misspellings in this post, it is probably because I have used my phone and got "auto-corrected" in undesirable ways.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. What are the flaws of the game's story? And can it be improved?