What are the two characters you always leave on the airship before Kefka?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. What are the two characters you always leave on the airship before Kefka?

User Info: zz1000zz

zz1000zz
9 months ago#21
I think Umaro gets more hate than he deserves. I would rather have a guy who isn't that good but takes no effort to use than a guy who is great but requires I get gear and magic for then control manually. Is the trouble of making someone like Cyan useful really worth it when I could just put Umaro in in his place? I don't think the game is difficult enough to justify it.

Of course, that's a matter of playstyle. Some people enjoy getting a bunch of gear and training up everyone. That's fine. I don't though, and I wish more people would recognize that as acceptable. It's sort of like how dirgible* mentioned skipping Sabin in the early parts of the WoR so Celes gets more XP so characters join at higher levels. I like that sort of thing, but a lot of people seem to think it's sacrilege since you miss out on esper stat gains.

*Sorry dude, but I can't remember how to spell your name, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

User Info: Odal190

Odal190
9 months ago#22
zz1000zz posted...
I think Umaro gets more hate than he deserves. I would rather have a guy who isn't that good but takes no effort to use than a guy who is great but requires I get gear and magic for then control manually. Is the trouble of making someone like Cyan useful really worth it when I could just put Umaro in in his place? I don't think the game is difficult enough to justify it.
This is the reasoning I use for why Sabin sucks. He takes more effort than is worth for how easy this game is. Meanwhile Cyan has the opposite problem that his potential is higher than this game requires (there could theoretically be a real use for doing 4 swings a turn for up to 9999 damage each and ignores armor, but game is too easy). At least Cyan has the advantage in also being “hold A and win” worthy. Sabin’s damage per button press puts him at trash tier.

As a little aside, I was disappointed to learn that the steam version of FFVI has no “Hold A and win” functionality (you have to keep smashing the A button instead). I’d say that makes Sabin more useable, but they also removed the ability to use either direction on diagonal blitz inputs. This makes him even more intolerable to use.

User Info: Kometeo

Kometeo
9 months ago#23
Nightshade rage.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
9 months ago#24
I've never tried that rage on a boss. May need to just to try it out.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: zz1000zz

zz1000zz
9 months ago#25
Odal190 posted...
zz1000zz posted...
This is the reasoning I use for why Sabin sucks. He takes more effort than is worth for how easy this game is. Meanwhile Cyan has the opposite problem that his potential is higher than this game requires (there could theoretically be a real use for doing 4 swings a turn for up to 9999 damage each and ignores armor, but game is too easy). At least Cyan has the advantage in also being “hold A and win” worthy. Sabin’s damage per button press puts him at trash tier.

I'm not sure the "work" of inputting blitzes outweighs the benefit of Sabin's OP attacks. Bum Rush is one of the strongest attacks in the game, and it requires you do nothing more than fly to a house and watch a cutscene. That seems pretty awesome to me.

I guess it's a matter of preference though. Would you rather put more "work" into the battles or put more "work" grinding gear/XP/whatever so you don't have to put "work" into battles? Personally, I'd go with the former every time.

User Info: Moogle_Master

Moogle_Master
9 months ago#26
For me it's Gau and Umaro. I've wondered if it's worth bringing Gau along.

User Info: UchihaX66

UchihaX66
9 months ago#27
Relm and Gau.

Leave the children behind.

User Info: Kometeo

Kometeo
9 months ago#28
Kometeo posted...
Nightshade rage.

TriforceSD posted...
I've never tried that rage on a boss. May need to just to try it out.

Moogle_Master posted...
For me it's Gau and Umaro. I've wondered if it's worth bringing Gau along.

It works on everything. It's such a pleasure to enjoy Dancing Mad while Kefka is beating himself to death...

User Info: tiornys

tiornys
9 months ago#29
For me, it's two out of four characters depending on what I did. I leave Cyan behind unless I got Imp equipment to make him an Imp Dragoon. I leave Gau if I neglected to get him any decent Rages. I leave Umaro unless I left both Cyan and Gau. If I take both Cyan and Gau, I typically leave Gogo behind.

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
9 months ago#30
UchihaX66 posted...
Relm and Gau.

Leave the children behind.

Relm and Gau are fun to use on The Veldt, though.
I always use the party Locke/Strago/Relm/Gau there;
Locke steals stuff, Strago learns Lores by having them through on him by Relm, who herself uses Control to do that, and Gau learns Rages.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy III
  3. What are the two characters you always leave on the airship before Kefka?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived