• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Icewind Dale II
  3. Thinking about dipping into Ranger
PrinceBlackElf 4 years ago#1
I have a fighter who is an archer focused build and was considering going partially ranger, what is the general consensus of best favored enemy?
Hey check out my let's plays on youtube, Southern Fried Gamers! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7MCW9d4OtXhOU3cN6rIxA
militant agnostic 4 years ago#2
Not to, honestly. Rangers aren't very good in this game. Fighters don't really offer anything after 4 levels either.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." -Grigori
PrinceBlackElf 4 years ago#3
Not really sure what to switch into afterwards since there aren't prestige classes then
Hey check out my let's plays on youtube, Southern Fried Gamers! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7MCW9d4OtXhOU3cN6rIxA
militant agnostic 4 years ago#4
What are your stats and current classes?
PrinceBlackElf 4 years ago#5
Human Druid
Str 12, Dex 14, con 14, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 10
Tiefling Melee Fighter
Str 17, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Dwarf Rogue/Fighter
Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10 Cha 8
Drow Bard
Str 14 Dex 16 Con 10 Int 15 Wis 10 Cha 16
Half Orc Monk
Str 16 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 8 Wis 15 Cha 8
Wild Elf Long Range Fighter
Str 13 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 10
militant agnostic 4 years ago#6
Your party is sorely lacking in the magic department. Itwill be challenging to beat the base game with that group, and Heart of Fury will be impossible.

Archery also gets weaker as the game goes on.

You might want to add Barbarian levels to your melee fighters, and if you go Ranger, Depending on how deep in the game you are, i would suggest Orcs, Lizard me, and Yuan-Ti in that order.
atmasabr 4 years ago#7
Eh, I went for a Barbarian 1-4, Fighter X build. Rage is a flat bonus.

I can tell you Fighter/Thief is a disappointment for me (still a lot better than pure Thief).

The problem with archery is those darn 3rd edition rules. Some simple magical thrown weapons are beastly in the hands of high Strength warriors, and Level 1 characters don't get 2 attacks per round with bows anymore. You fight low level mages totally differently because hitting them with weak arrows doesn't always break their concentration, you need meaty physical attacks.
So much of the tragedy in human history can be explained by man's attempts to kill Cain.
  1. Boards
  2. Icewind Dale II
  3. Thinking about dipping into Ranger
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Some of my party died how do i revive them? General3 Answers
How do I remove disease? Main Quest1 Answer
Saved Games? Tech Support1 Answer
Cheat Codes? Tech Support3 Answers
Abilities code? General1 Answer