• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
Zero_Maniac 2 years ago#1
I don't know if it's a problem with my system or cartridge, but while fighting bosses I sometimes experience slowdown. Is this normal? I don't remember slowdown being present in the DS Collection.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
beibin 2 years ago#2
Slowdown is definitely possible. The game's logic must execute in a finite amount of time determined by the display's refresh rate. If there is too much stuff for the game to do, it will take too long to execute and this deadline will be missed and performance will be degraded. This manifests as a perceptible slowdown.

This video is a really good explanation of this phenomenon. It's specific for the SNES but the concepts explained in it are widely applicable.

https://youtu.be/Q8ph2OVqZeM

At 14:48 there is a visual representation of lag frames. It clearly shows how the game must execute more code when the player does things and especially when there are lots of objects on the screen that must be updated every frame. It's even possible to visually identify the slowdowns in the histogram.

https://youtu.be/Q8ph2OVqZeM?t=888

The GBA contains an ARM7 @ 16.8 MHz while the Nintendo DS has an ARM9 @ 67 MHz and an ARM7 @ 33 MHz. It is likely that the superior performance of the Nintendo DS hardware prevented any slowdowns. The code just ran faster and completed in time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Zero_Maniac 2 years ago#3
This slowdown is making it near impossible to get 100p on several missions. It's not just bosses; there's massive slowdown in stages like the desert when you first fight Fefnir. When the helicopter drops reinforcements, the game slows to a crawl, making it pretty much impossible to deal with the Kerberos without taking damage. I shouldn't have to account for slowdown when I'm playing an action game.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A