You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Zelda Games *Social*
  3. Breath of the Wild

User Info: X Slayer007 X

X Slayer007 X
6 months ago#1
I think the last one purged, but I just started playing this last weekend. Now that I have all 880 Power Moons in Odyssey, I can mark that game as complete and move on to Zelda. I had originally started this a few months ago, but this time I started a new game so I can start fresh. I didn't really get too far last time though (just two shrines done).
{aB} RIP Lyrics Topic (6/12/2003 - 1/31/2007)
Hello Vinnie. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check! *stab* The pen is truly mightier than the sword!

X Slayer007 X
6 months ago#2
Anyway, I was a bit more careful this time around. I started experimenting more with cooking and realized that I needed that Old Man's coat to progress into that wintry area that housed the third shrine in the beginning. I probably could've spammed spicy peppers, but wanted to play it safe. The shrines were pretty straightforward once I knew how to reach them.

Didn't die as much on the Plateau area....there were a few times where I accidentally fell off the tower, but luckily there were no times where a tree crushed me or I crushed myself using my own magnet. So with that, I'm on the way to Kakariko village.

Is the temple of time the only place to upgrade hearts/stamina?

Can you only fast travel to shrines?
Hello Vinnie. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check! *stab* The pen is truly mightier than the sword!

User Info: RyuVegas

RyuVegas
6 months ago#3
Just played this yesteday and I can actually help on your questions:

X Slayer007 X posted...
Is the temple of time the only place to upgrade hearts/stamina?

No. Found a Goddess Statue in Kakariko Village somewhere in the center. Sorry, I’m fresher to BOTW than most so I don’t remember exact locations yet.

Can you only fast travel to shrines?

Nah towers you’ve climbed too let you Fast Travel as well. And I think you can warp directly into Kakariko too, but that could just be a shrine within the village, so I think maybe some important places open a fast travel too once discovered or a quest is completed.
NP | GoW(2018), LoZ:BOTW, Sonic Mania, DBFZ, SouthParkTFBW; MtG-Modern
'Ive seen Ryu on the MtG board so hes already cooler than most of you.' ~XImperialDragon
(edited 6 months ago)

X Slayer007 X
6 months ago#4
Thanks - yeah I forgot about the towers....so far I made it to Kakariko Village and talked to Impa and I was very surprised there were actual people around.....the beginning of the game made it seem like there was no one left in the world haha....and rupees....I completely forgot about those but felt like a fish out of water when I came across a merchant and I had 0.

Needless to say, I turned back around and started clearing shrines that were visible. Very easy to get sidetracked from the main quest and just go where you feel like.

X Slayer007 X
6 months ago#5
I love how this game is very similar to Skyrim in look and feel, but it plays like a much cleaner version. No freezing, no strange glitches, but still the big open world and always having to be on your guard.

I've been trying to get to towers so I can open up the map and then conquer more shrines, but at one point, I was a bit in over my head...I went up a hill that looked innocuous and saw a tower...bad idea...a guardian bot sniped me before I could run away...I ran around the hill and found rubble surrounding a tower, but there were at least 5 of those guardians. I can't believe I made it up the tower, because it seemed that I had just enough stamina to climb each segment and hide behind the wall before those things would fire. Pretty stressful overall lol...that was Central Hyrule.

RyuVegas
6 months ago#6
Lol maybe “getting lost and doing whatever distracts you” IS the main quest and saving Hyrule by defeating Ganon is just the sidequest. :3

At the very least the way everything interacts with each other so consistently that my mind hasn’t been bested by “video game arbitrary logic” like invisible walls or seeing something fizzle and do nothing which means this aspect was so heavily researched and thought out that it shows how vastly different a Legend of Zelda game it is on design compared to the last like 8(except maybe A Link Between Worlds and, as everyone is saying, probably the original title on the NES is the most comparable to BOTW within its own franchise). I have to concede I wouldn’t know: I started LoZ on Link’s Awakening and A Link to the Past games. I didn’t even know about the original and Adventure of Link until Collector’s Edition on GCN and the NES GBA carts. Though my parents tell me I played LoZ at 4 years old with my great-grandma. Anyways.

Game is so interactable it highlights how short games like Horizon come up in the “fully open world” department. Which actually brings me to cooking too. I experimented too with A LOT of different recipes just trying s*** out. I figured out a lot by trial and error and then by misfortune or luck depending on our point of view I died to a Black Bokoblin that was WAY too hard for me right below the climb up to Lanryu Tower before I knew it was that tower(I had to get back to it) so all my cooking was erased as my last saved were before I started cooking and got to the bottom of the tower. >_< but I wasted a bunch of materials sometimes cooking wrong dishes so maybe it was a good thing?

Some stuff I found out is you don’t want to add too many different things. They may cancel out and cause something to be a neutral dish instead of the like pro-electric resistance dish you wanted. That sucks when you use 4 ingredients. Especially at this low level of only having 4 hearts. If feels especially wasteful to make a dish that heals 8 hearts and speeds up my movement for 2 minutes when I only have 4 hearts and don’t know where I’m going lol. Less is more, seems to be key. Still haven’t figured out elixirs and monster parts though. That’s some weird s*** but again they clearly thought about it to account for it so well in the game.

And I just found some Zoras and what looks like a quest to their domain and “Prince Sidon!” This looks fun. I’d like to swim better. That sounds cool(I mean in other Zelda games the zoras = finding ways to swim so... educated guess and hope/desire?).
'Ive seen Ryu on the MtG board so hes already cooler than most of you.' ~XImperialDragon

X Slayer007 X
6 months ago#7
Yeah, lots of trial and error in this game...I've certainly ruined a few dishes by putting something in that looked innocuous. Then some of my dishes are too potent...I have 5 hearts right now, so I don't feel things are as wasted. But I need to build my stamina too. I run out of juice too easily while climbing and I even take my time. I think lunging during the climb takes more energy than distance gained. That reminds me, I need to make more stamina friendly potions.

I played the original LOZ a few times before I was in kindergarten so I remember very little, though LBW was only a few years ago and I can kind of see the similarities.

Also, I guess anyone named "Traveler" is probably out to kill me.

RyuVegas
6 months ago#8
<iI think lunging during the climb takes more energy than distance gained. That reminds me, I need to make more stamina friendly potions.

Oh I can confirm this hardcore. I dunno the loss of distance but it’s significant because when I first played the game I tried wall-climbing across a huge gap of an endless pit and something made me test this theory and while tedious never lunging always got me to the destination while if I lunged even once I knew I was failing my grip and that would have almost always led to disaster and game over.

Lol now you remind me of stamina potions. Don’t think I’ve ever used them. The extra stamina you get from a Goddes Statue is amazing though. It’s like 1/3 of a wheel. So I have 4/3s stamina right now with 4 hearts. Guess it just incentivizes more shrine beating for me upgrades.

Playing this game on a WiiU and it’s still impressive how fast and smooth it runs too. The guardians have insane speed that I’ve never seen from movement in previous LoZ games.

This whole game feels like a weird mishmash of Dark Souls, Skyrim, and it’s own light-hearted aesthetic flair. Because I can honestly say I’ve never died as much, or gotten flung like a rag doll 50 in-game feet, in any other Zelda game before this one and it’s kind of exhilarating. This is almost the Zelda game I actually did kind of dream of, minus the blood and gore I imagined it being “Mature Rated.” But I can feel and appreciate the trial and error gameplay is just like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, which is cool because those games were trying to go for old school NES trial and error play too. It all comes full circle.

User Info: Datuna

Datuna
6 months ago#9
Stamina upgrades are more important than heart upgrades. I would recommend going for a full second wheel before even starting to increase your hearts. (one fifth of a wheel per upgrade, by the way). Jumping while climbing is just to speed up but costs way more stamina then just climbing. Always jump when you are about to fall though, final jump is stronger and makes Link grab on a little higher as a last ditch attempt to reach the top. There is gear with bonuses to climb faster / lose less stamina (but maybe you need a few upgrades on it first for a really worthwhile attempt).

Another reason to favor stamina upgrades, is yellow hearts. Plenty of food give temporary extra hearts. My favorite dish requires just two of the same fruit and the result will fully heal and give 8 (sometimes 9) extra yellow hearts. So end-game it's perfect for fully healing 30 hearts, but early game it's also great because of the extra yellow hearts.

If wanted I will spoil the necessary ingredients, you have access to them pretty early and right next to a tower, so once found can be fast-travelled to easily. The fruit regenerates quicker than that you use up your stockpile of dishes so you never run out.
I agree with all the Big Bear, with the exception of banging dudes for fun. I only do it to assert my dominance. It's never fun. --- DroidKowolluh

User Info: Tithenion

Tithenion
6 months ago#10
Yeah every town has a nearby shrine and statue associated with it so you won't have any shortage of warping points or places to upgrade.

And you most definitely should just do what you want to do. Don't hold yourself to any quests or feeling like you need to do something. The only thing I would recommend is not waiting too long to progress and getting so strong that it becomes easy. I walked that line maybe a bit too closely and could have used a little more challenge in the main battles. Though I guess I could have done that by not using OP dishes, too.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Tithenion?type=posted
3DS FC - 4742-6213-3201
  1. Boards
  2. Zelda Games *Social*
  3. Breath of the Wild