• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Syberia
  3. Oscar Legs Manufacturing Puzzle (SPOILERS)

User Info: greybeard

greybeard
4 years ago#1
Am I right in thinking this puzzle is just trial and error? I 'solved' it that way on the PS2 when I played it on console and had no real idea how I'd actually done it.

This time on PC I went looking for clues and referred to several guides which gave no explanation for why that particular colour wood was the right one.

One guide suggested trying to match Oscar's wood colour but it has no discernible or particular colour on my pretty well adjusted monitor. It just looks a general greyish tone overall so that's no help, in fact it might be considered a hindrance.

The second clue suggests referring to the brochure picked up in the hotel saying that the wood used for the automatons is local but they reserve ebony and other more expensive wood for the best models. Ebony is well known for being a black wood, which would is what you'd think is the closest thing to Oscar's actual colour but the wood colour choices only have one that might, at a stretch, be called dark grey.

The brochure, if it is meant as a real clue, doesn't indicate whether the wooden block shown is local wood or a more exotic variety. Although it is closest in colour to the actual wood required it certainly isn't that close. Then we have the cutscene, when you have used the correct wood colour and the wooden block being used is seen to be dark brown. The legs themselves look no different whatever wood you use. Confusing.

Its a puzzle that could have been made better very easily by Oscar actually being a black character and requiring the ebony wood for his legs. Using a black actor for voicing Oscar might also have been another good clue with the added benefit that we might have had such a major character voiced less annoyingly.
  1. Boards
  2. Syberia
  3. Oscar Legs Manufacturing Puzzle (SPOILERS)
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Milkman Gotteth: Syberia.MiIkMan17/14 7:26PM

GameFAQs Q&A