• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  3. Box Mode Question.... *possible spoilers*

User Info: Hikaru Ichijoe

Hikaru Ichijoe
8 years ago#1
This is something that I've been wondering about for awhile but, is there any particular reason (known or otherwise) as to why Box Mode doesn't have the same degree of customizability as Zwei's? Zwei's Box Game, when completely unlocked, gave players a massive amount of options to work when playing the game, from gun shot to laser type, and numerous other little things. Orta's, on the other hand, limits you entirely to mount, berserk (provided the mount has one to begin with) type, life type, and rider.

I mean, sure the main dragon wouldn't really work with a "Zwei-style" Box Mode, but how about the other mounts? Why not just give them sub-menu's so you can alter them to your liking? I mean, is it too much to ask to be able to turn a simple dragonmare into an "Abadd-styled" one with lasers and berserks (something I've always wanted to do really...)?
Number of people smacked by the moldy fish - Many+1
"OK I'm telling you now YYH and DBZ are made by the same people thats why its the same."-Goku52

Hikaru Ichijoe
8 years ago#2
bump?
"OK I'm telling you now YYH and DBZ are made by the same people thats why its the same."-Goku52

User Info: kekejefferis

kekejefferis
8 years ago#3
Simply they are different games made by different companies.
Infinately unlikely to ever change now so best just boot up Zwei and enjoy that if thats what you are after... unfortunately.

Hikaru Ichijoe
8 years ago#4
While I appreciate the response, it would help if you actually knew what you're talking about (or even understood my question in the first place) before responding...

Team Andromeda, the team behind Panzer Dragoon, Zwei, and Saga were Sega's internal team AM8 during the Saturn's lifespan. They broke up after Saga was completed. Shortly after that Sega restructured their company, and many members of Team Andromeda joined the division that would, for a time, become SmileBit (the same company that made this game BTW). In fact, when this game was made, other members from the former "Team Andromeda" were brought in from other Sega development teams to help supervise.

As such, even though the developer name is different, since both teams were essentially composed of many of the same people, this game, Orta, and it's brethren (the original, Zwei, and Saga (as well as Mini on the Game Gear)) were indeed made by the same people.

As for the second part of your post, where did I ever insinuate that I didn't like the game at all? All I asked is why the Box Game customizability seems lacking compared to that in Zwei.

kekejefferis
8 years ago#5

Hikaru Ichijoe posted...
This is something that I've been wondering about for awhile but, is there any particular reason (known or otherwise) as to why Box Mode doesn't have the same degree of customizability as Zwei's? Zwei's Box Game, when completely unlocked, gave players a massive amount of options to work when playing the game, from gun shot to laser type, and numerous other little things. Orta's, on the other hand, limits you entirely to mount, berserk (provided the mount has one to begin with) type, life type, and rider.

Time restraints and lack of money perhaps. Regardless of if the same development team worked on the titles they more than likely had different goals to achieve at the end of it.
Perhaps for Orta their main intentions were to fully flesh out the single player storyline and just have box mode reduced to enemy, world information and a couple of sidestory mini games.
Comparing Orta to the previous games is a difficult thing to do as they play very differently, yes the basics are the same but overall they are vastly different in structure and the way your dragon evolves and such forth.
Unfortuntely the answer you are after I doubt you will ever get as the team that developed the game has long since disbanded which im sure you are well aware of.

Hikaru Ichijoe posted...
I mean, sure the main dragon wouldn't really work with a "Zwei-****" Box Mode, but how about the other mounts? Why not just give them sub-menu's so you can alter them to your liking? I mean, is it too much to ask to be able to turn a simple dragonmare into an "Abadd-****" one with lasers and berserks (something I've always wanted to do really...)

This is a personnal opinion and one I am quite happy with the games default settings for this.

I am unsure as to what you want to achieve asking these questions as I doubt any person that uses these boards would have any idea why these things are not featured in the game other than they just arnt.
If this is just a personnal rant about a 9 year old game then i'll just leave it at that and move along.

Hikaru Ichijoe
8 years ago#6
Time restraints and lack of money perhaps. Regardless of if the same development team worked on the titles they more than likely had different goals to achieve at the end of it.
Perhaps for Orta their main intentions were to fully flesh out the single player storyline and just have box mode reduced to enemy, world information and a couple of sidestory mini games.
Comparing Orta to the previous games is a difficult thing to do as they play very differently, yes the basics are the same but overall they are vastly different in structure and the way your dragon evolves and such forth.

These are good points and all, and are likely the reason...with the exception of Game Mechanics.

The only real difference between this game and Zwei is evolution, accelerating/decelerating, and how boss battles are fought. Of the three, the only ones that never change, regardless of mount, is boss battles and acceleration/deceleration. Evolution only affects the default Dragon and nothing more so I really don't see how Game Mechanics could've played a role in Box Game's design.

I mean, in Zwei they essentially just skinned different mounts over the default dragon and linked all the weapon and laser options to that default dragon. Sure Orta's default dragon wouldn't work with that set-up, but why not just program an "extra" dragon for placing different mount-skins over or something?

Unfortuntely the answer you are after I doubt you will ever get as the team that developed the game has long since disbanded which im sure you are well aware of.

I understand that, and really, all this is is for discussion on the subject. Besides that, who knows? Maybe there is some info out there that people haven't heard yet...

This is a personnal opinion and one I am quite happy with the games default settings for this.

I am unsure as to what you want to achieve asking these questions as I doubt any person that uses these boards would have any idea why these things are not featured in the game other than they just arnt.
If this is just a personnal rant about a 9 year old game then i'll just leave it at that and move along.

If you're referring to the "Abadd style" mount then yeah, that is kind of a mini-rant/joke of sorts. Still though, I've always kinda wondered why they didn't make Abadd's mare a playable mount. I mean, they do have the model data in the system (for viewing at least) so...

Anywho, if you're talking about my questions in general, as I said previously (in this very post), it's just a discussion of sorts in hopes that maybe somebody out there may have heard something or might know the answer. That's all it is really, a discussion about a gameplay "extra" (for lack of a better term) that seems to be lacking.

kekejefferis
8 years ago#7

No worries, it's good to see someone else with a very keen interest in the Panzer games and world. Let alone anyone who remembers them!
I agree it would have been great to have alternate sorts of dragons, perhaps similar in the way they handled the Azel mini game in Orta. Must admit it would have been pretty cool to run through a level as Abadd and his dragonmare, Likewise I wished they had Azel mounted on Atolm instead of the solowing. Or how about having Edge atop the lightwing... alot of potential but sadly missed.
To be honest I felt Panzer Dragoons Sagas pandoras box was lacking in many respects, it almost seemed as if they got half way through doing it then just gave up... pity really.

1. Boards
  2. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  3. Box Mode Question.... *possible spoilers*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers