• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. we are 13 months into SL and only 2 raids
(message deleted)
ryudo500 1 month ago#12
@UnrivaledKoopa

WoD only had 3 raids in 24 months
squaresoft NEVER FORGET
LAKERS & SPURS
MajinUltima 1 month ago#13
Deuceswild posted...
since they killed socialization
That is so ironic and lacking self-awareness given your sig
Herein I commit the chronicle of the traveler. Shepherd to the stars in the dark. Where you walk, my dearest friend, fate shall surely follow.
To be fair, they've had a lot going on to distract them from adding new content. Plus they probably want this expansion to die quietly while they prepare for the next one.
--I understand your opinion. I just don't care about it. ~Jedah--
Amakusa 1 month ago#15
I mean, the community long since solved this sort of thing by playing other games during lulls. It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head saying you have to play this game every month.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
(edited 1 month ago)
ryudo500 1 month ago#16
I guess it was difficult when they used to turn out 5 raids per xpac. good to know we have settled or 3 being "okay":
squaresoft NEVER FORGET
LAKERS & SPURS
ryudo500 posted...
I guess it was difficult when they used to turn out 5 raids per xpac. good to know we have settled or 3 being "okay":

While I'm generally not a fan of raiding, this one does have something of an explanation behind it.

There was a definite shift towards "full" raids only (more bosses in one instance) several years back; I think it was announced some time around late MoP or during WoD, with Throne of Thunder being cited.

Apparently ActiBlizz found those large raids to be more "popular" than the smaller ones, and likely cut the small ones to save costs. That and there was probably fewer are assets required for the bigger raids as they could copy-paste textures more, or at least keep costs under control as they made the art team stick to a particular theme. I imagine it lined up better with their planned patch cycles as well.

Going with the following criteria:
  • Small Raid: 1-4 boss encounters
  • Medium Raid: 5-9 boss encounters
  • Full Raid: 10+ boss encounters

We end up with the following breakdown:
  • Vanilla (7) -- 1 small raid, 3 medium raids, 3 full raids
  • TBC (9) -- 2 small raids, 5 medium raids, 2 full raids
  • WotLK (9) -- 5 small raids, 1 medium raids, 3 full raids
  • Cata (6) -- 2 small raids, 4 medium raids
  • MoP (5) -- 1 small raid, 2 medium raids, 2 full raids
  • WoD (3) -- 1 medium raid, 2 full raids
  • Legion (5) -- 1 small raid, 2 medium raids, 2 full raids
  • BfA (5) -- 1 small raid, 3 medium raids, 1 full raid
  • SL (2 so far) -- 2 full raids

... interesting trends, to tell the truth. In any case, the "full raid" format took off with late MoP. The Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar were VERY popular, and a stark contrast to the shorter raids in Cata (as well as early MoP).

There's also been a semi-consistent goal of three "tiers" per expansion, and they've been trying to move towards making it one raid per tier (much easier to pull off with full raids) with less and less being dedicated to the smaller raids. SL may be the first and only expansion to pull that off literally.

There's also a quite notable drop in the total number of actual raids over time, though someone else can take a look at the boss count to see if that total has dropped over time. Perhaps there is some truth in saying that all these systems are eating up resources that could have gone to more raids (among other things).

Raid tiers, maybe not... but only by using highly specific definitions that try to equate multiple smaller raid instances to one big one.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.
(edited 1 month ago)
Ogurisama 1 month ago#18
We know the final raid of SL will look like (11 bosses) so SL is 3 full raids.
http://cdn-android.apptap.com/img/870/mobi.colortrilogy.bitlink/267135850.png
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/10/5/uv4r7nGyrE6ylt2lHGWpiQ2.gif
Cookie Bag 1 month ago#19
Did anyone like going into those really small raids and killing like 2-3 bosses and being done?

I remember hating having to do magtheridon's lair

Has nothing to do with the fact that the stupid tier piece never dropped for me after so many runs >:|
https://i.imgur.com/gGHBH0F.jpg https://i.imgur.com/rNfCKIS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Fj3wSVn.jpg https://i.imgur.com/OoMcG77.jpg
Cookie Bag posted...
Did anyone like going into those really small raids and killing like 2-3 bosses and being done?

I don't think anyone really had much trouble with them, especially considering they typically were accompanied by another raid or two. Either that or they were something else to do in between the larger raids. To view them strictly in isolation and compared to a larger raid tier is... well, kind of unfair and lacking context.

Heck, an easily identified benefit is a more frequent release schedule for content (if in smaller pieces at once) rather than just massive chunks of stuff all at once. Come to think of it, that's more conducive to keeping players satisfied because they get more variety and can more readily accomplish smaller goals. When compared to getting a new laundry list of chores just to keep up every few months.

Cookie Bag posted...
I remember hating having to do magtheridon's lair

That probably has less to do with it being a small raid and everything to do with being Magtheridon's Lair.
Big or small, there's never a guarantee that what's in it is actually any good.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. we are 13 months into SL and only 2 raids
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A