You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. What expansion was the downfall?
Raze_Razel 1 month ago#101
SuperSaiyanTien posted...
The issue wasn't that the heroics were difficult. It was that Blizzard had pretty easy heroic dungeons in WoTLK and then Cata had ridiculously hard ones.

No.

(I've said before in this thread already a month ago) The real issue was the LFG feature introduced late into WLK's expansion. When it was released people were already well established and progressed their gear well enough that Heroic dungeons became face-roll easy. People have gotten used to that so much, by the end of WLK all the dungeons were AOE face-roll easy simply because they were over-geared enough to push past all the mechanics.

CAT dungeons were not "hard", they were designed the same way as they always have been in the past. Except with a new expansion, 'everyone' was starting at zero, so to speak. So the dungeons were not face-roll easy anymore, because no one was over-geared to push past the mechanics. People actually had to care about crown-control, and think more strategically to push through the dungeons.....but no one liked that, because of the influx of newer players that started in WLK were all used to facerolling, they didn't want to 'think' anymore, so they cried to nerf the game until it was facerollable as if one was too over-geared....which of course threw off the whole balance of the game, and has never recovered since.

Dungeons up until that point in CAT were all designed the same way, it's just too many "wraithbabies" never knew any better before crying to the developers to baby them.... and Activision made Blizzard cave to them.
"Thanos was right"
(edited 1 month ago)
Given that I started in Vanilla, I had no issue with having to once again rely on using CC for Cata Heroics and the like after the AoE faceroll-fest that was Wrath. That being said, however, there were certain parts of the Cata Heroics that were, well, crap. Just absolute crap to deal with.

Heroic Stonecore, but more specifically Ozruk, is a fantastic example. That thing was not known as Ozruk the Tank Destroyer for nothing.

And while I did like MoP, I do favor Wrath over it in terms of gameplay, though I will fully admit that I am saying that with a clear bias. You see, back in Wrath, that was when I really came into my own as an Arms Warrior after having been Fury since Vanilla. Everything just CLICKED with the kit Arms had back in Wrath and I suddenly became a killing machine. And this was during a time where people were like, "Go Fury, noob," and I'd just reply, "Watch this."

And then the heads of my enemy start to roll and the jaws of my naysayers hit the floor. It was fantastic. I still remember my Arms rotation from Wrath to this day. I'll admit that compared to other classes at the time, I wasn't IMMEDIATELY throwing out the big numbers. But I likened it a lot to revving up a Minigun. Barrel takes time to heat up and get a good spin but when it does, look out. But when the pre-Cata patch hit, Arms got all but neutered and I had to go back to Fury for a time. Not fun.
Deja Vu is when God gets a blue screen on his computer that runs the universe and has to hit CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart existence.
I don’t remember the WotL heroics ever being work. I was a level 78 Paladin when 5-man ToC opened. I leveled to 80 doing nothing but tanking 5-man ToC, since before LFD you could enter it as a level 78 and I had the gear to do it. By the time I was done I had every single plate drop the dungeon had for all three specs, so when I started doing Heroics I was mostly in ilvl 200 purples. I could tank and heal heroics as a fresh 80 without breaking a sweat, and the DPS I was grouping with generally wasn’t too far ahead of me in gear.

When were they supposed to be difficult? Starting out as a fresh 80 in leveling blues? With level 200 epic gear they were easy and that’s what the heroics dropped.
(edited 1 month ago)
Major Gamer 1 month ago#104
CasualOblivion posted...
I don’t remember the WotL heroics ever being work. I was a level 78 Paladin when 5-man ToC opened. I leveled to 80 doing nothing but tanking 5-man ToC, since before LFD you could enter it as a level 78 and I had the gear to do it. By the time I was done I had every single plate drop the dungeon had for all three specs, so when I started doing Heroics I was mostly in ilvl 200 purples. I could tank and heal heroics as a fresh 80 without breaking a sweat, and the DPS I was grouping with generally wasn’t too far ahead of me in gear.
You started heroics when ToC was already out. An extremely easy normal raid that gave out loot 40+ ilvls above what you are expected to have in the 5-man heroics. Of course it was easy then. To quote what I said months ago in this topic:

Major Gamer posted...
Wrath didn't start with the aoe faceroll. Doing that would have wiped you good. Just as quick examples, CC was regularly used in Halls of Lightning as well as the packs up to the stone dude in Halls of Stone and the Brann event. Then came the point where the normal person's gear far exceeded what heroics expected of the player which is when the aoe faceroll came in. I don't remember exactly when it happened but probably around the ToC release.
https://backloggery.com/MajorGamer
Major Gamer posted...
You started heroics when ToC was already out. An extremely easy normal raid that gave out loot 40+ ilvls above what you are expected to have in the 5-man heroics. Of course it was easy then. To quote what I said months ago in this topic:

Not the raid, the 5-man dungeon. It was released before the raid came out.

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Trial_of_the_Champion

I’ll ask again when we’re they supposed to have been hard and required CC? Heroics dropped level 200 epics, I didn’t have a full set of those when I started and they weren’t difficult for a fresh 80 who started in WotLK and had never done anything beyond regular dungeons prior.
(edited 1 month ago)
Major Gamer 1 month ago#106
CasualOblivion posted...
Not the raid, the 5-man dungeon. It was released before the raid came out.

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Trial_of_the_Champion

I’ll ask again when we’re they supposed to have been hard and required CC? Heroics dropped level 200 epics, I didn’t have a full set of those when I started and they weren’t difficult for a fresh 80 who started in WotLK and had never done anything beyond regular dungeons prior.
I checked and Wrath heroics could be done at 180, so even without the ToC raid, my previous post stands. Naxx was also pretty easy. Just because you weren't overgeared doesn't mean the other four party members weren't. As for your question, I answered it in the post you quoted.
https://backloggery.com/MajorGamer
The reason I quit was the stat crunch. Ever since they started crunching our stats and level. Gear in old raids but of different expansion such as black temple (70) and naxxramas (80) have similar amount of stat despite being different levels. It really killed the point of playing anymore
"Ok LOL there's no loophole but you can't make me close anything" --GG_90 (gfaqs welcher)
Sephigoth 1 month ago#108
Cata was a no brainer for me, only 5 levels and what i enjoyed the most about the game, the skill tree gone, every other xpac was 10 levels. They suckered me back in with an email saying i had MoP for free, and ever since then (2014) i've been playing with gold only until now buying tokens, but now i've deleted it cause shadowlands is a joke and activision is even worse.
http://www.backloggery.com/hador
Kloe_Rinz 1 month ago#109
Warlords

Cataclysm upgraded the old world and was fun
MoP had amazing looking zones and the best raids
Warlords had great content but not nearly enough of it. But it was the garrison that turned the downhill slope into a cliff
Vindris_SNH 1 month ago#110
Sephigoth posted...
Cata was a no brainer for me, only 5 levels and what i enjoyed the most about the game, the skill tree gone, every other xpac was 10 levels. They suckered me back in with an email saying i had MoP for free, and ever since then (2014) i've been playing with gold only until now buying tokens, but now i've deleted it cause shadowlands is a joke and activision is even worse.

The talent tree being dumbed down was a big part of the equation for me too. I was hoping talents would become more and more complex with each expansion, continue to offer more options, and allow more freedom from any kind of dull meta. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.
glitteringfairy: Just build the damn wall
ThyCorndog: and how exactly will that stop the mexican space program from orbital dropping illegal immigrants?
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. What expansion was the downfall?

GameFAQs Q&A