• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. What expansion was the downfall?
ShariganItachi 4 months ago#1
Which expansion do you think was the down fall. Not the start but the actual downfall? - Results (361 votes)
The Burning Crusade (First expansion no longer the original game)
3.32% (12 votes)
Wrath of the Lich King (LFG)
3.6% (13 votes)
Cataclysm (LFR, Talent tree reductions)
27.15% (98 votes)
Mists of Pandaria (CRZ, Death of the talent trees)
13.85% (50 votes)
Warlords of Draenor (Nothing new)
21.33% (77 votes)
Legion (RNG)
2.77% (10 votes)
Battle for Azeroth (RNG, Artifact removal)
19.67% (71 votes)
Shadowlands (Showing age, more of the same)
8.31% (30 votes)
You must be registered and logged in to vote in this poll.
For me its a toss up. Between 2 of them, and am just curious what the community here thinks.
One day Dosu Kinuta WILL be in a fighting game, and i'm not changing my sig till then 2/12/06.
Mortainous28 4 months ago#2
I can pick out bad things from just about every expansion. But BFA takes this trophy. we were late in coming back to this expansion and had no clue where to start or what to do. We ended up just messing around and getting the races unlocked. Corruption caused us to stop giving a rats ass about gear and we held out for the next expansion. Did not care for the giant pyramid, the azerite gear, or really anything that expansion had to offer.

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.
Vindris_SNH 4 months ago#3
Activision.
glitteringfairy: Just build the damn wall
ThyCorndog: and how exactly will that stop the mexican space program from orbital dropping illegal immigrants?
(message deleted)
Raze_Razel 4 months ago#5
The Burning Crusade (First expansion no longer the original game)

Fun fact: Outland content was being developed the same time as Vanilla, and was intended to be released with all other 1.0 content. But they decided to save that content for TBC. So techincially it was just more of the same off the original game.

Wrath of the Lich King (LFG)

The only main problem with LFG in WLK, when it first released into the game. Was that it came too late into the expansion when the majority of the population progressed their gear past Heroic dungeons, and everything became an AoE face-roll....which gave 'newer players' a poor first impression of the game believing that is how the game should play.

Cataclysm (LFR, Talent tree reductions)

Hands down CAT was the beginning of the end for WoW. That was when the dark hand of Activision revealed itself after they 'promised' Blizzard would retain it's autonomy when those companies merged. When Blizzard realized they made the game too easy with LFG and Badge loot; they 'tried' to make the game go back to grass-roots with more 'difficulty'; but because the "Wraithbabies" that only knew how to AoE face-roll from WLK (thanks to a tardy LFG system), cried about how annoying the new content was. Activision forced Blizzard to nerf the whole expansion, showing no backbone, and essentially crippling the game forever since then.

Mists of Pandaria (CRZ, Death of the talent trees)

Was an 'okay' expansion if you look past all the Kung-Fu Panda appeals to the China market feel of it all. The year and a half content drought didn't help either. Still suffered from the problems brought on by CAT though.

Warlords of Draenor (Nothing new)

"Nothing new"? lol, no child...this expansion proved once and for all Activision (not Blizzard) is in charge of WoW. And the s*** they pulled was beyond foolish..... Garrisons that turned WoW into a facebook game, silly social media integrations (even a SELFIE toy to pander to the zoomers), the flashiest mount sold in the store as well as not being able to use it because they tried to take flight out of the game. So much cut content you can see the seams. And overall you were paying for twice the cost of an expansion, for half the content usually given....and then there was WoW Tokens, which was the beginning of culling the rest of the gamers out of WoW and replacing them with whales and bots.

Legion (RNG)

Legion was a breath of fresh air, proving Activision could make a good expansion, ...if they actually cared about their customers as gamers and not consumers...but...

Battle for Azeroth (RNG, Artifact removal)

...BFA took everything that made LEG good, and cut it in half.....36+ unique class storylines that LEG had, which added to replayablity, but in BFA they just used 2 faction storylines basically told the same story. Warfronts was a joke full of welfare loot.

Shadowlands (Showing age, more of the same)

I don't believe "showing age" is ever a valid excuse, (as I said in another thread) it's the difference between Helen Mirren or Susan Sarandon and comparing them to a Floridian Trailer Trash Single Mom looking like she's 20 years past her prime but in truth she's only 21...... maybe if the Floridian Trailer Trash Single Mom made better (game design) choices in her life, she too could've aged like fine wine like Mirren....WoW itself, could've retained a better cult following like EQ or UO still do as nostalgia and loyality would be the main drive of keeping those games alive. I doubt WoW could do the same at this point.
"Thanos was right"
(edited 4 months ago)
(message deleted)
spacecowboymike 4 months ago#7
Warlords started the pattern of restricting player freedom. The downfall of wow started when the devs waged a war on flying.
GuitaristMatt 4 months ago#8
Maybe warlords started it, but it was followed up my legion which brought a lot of people back.

BFA really messed it up though. 4-5m people down to 1m.
SteamDeck / GabeGear Ambassador
Ryzen 7-5800x, RTX 3080ti, 32GB DDR4
UnrivaledKoopa 4 months ago#9
BFA was the end for me. The story was garbage, the new game systems (Warfronts and islands) were terrible, and the returning systems (AP, M+) were worse than the Legion counterparts. It didn’t improve the game in any way.

Shadowlands was a tad better than BFA but not enough, and the patch delays completely killed it.
I never wanted to be a serial killer, anyway.
I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK! - Dexter Morgan
(edited 4 months ago)
Fou Lu 4 months ago#10
Cataclysm. It was proven too because that is the expansion when the subscriber drop-off began. They went right in, buffed all the dungeons to cater to the 1% of the player base that said all the 5-mans should be harder and need CC. This made the new dungeons hard for casual players who were coming off the high of WoTLK and the face-roll easy dungeons. Players quit, Blizzard panic-nerfed all the 5-mans, but the damage was done.

That wasn't the part that got me to quit. I quit right before Panderia. It just plain didn't look interesting so I quit. As time passed, graphics in games got better, while WoW still looked like a PS1 game, all the while they wanted more money for each expansion and refused to lower the monthly fee even though the game was getting ancient and definitely not worth the price.
I smolder with generic rage.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. What expansion was the downfall?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A