• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. When can I choose my own starting area and level areas as a brand new player?

User Info: HaxnStash

HaxnStash
1 month ago#1
Hello, I'm brand new and just got the game, but I'm very familiar with mmorpgs. I'm just wondering when can I start choosing my starting areas and expansion?

My brother will be playing with me. My plan is to have a character to play with my brother and another character to play by myself when we're not playing. But right now, both of my characters are forced to start in shadowland's starting area.

So everything is fresh when I play with my brother, I was going to have the 2nd character start on a separate starting area and separate expansion. Is there any way I can have my 2nd character start on another starting area and other expansion if I'm new?

Thank you.
FC: 4227-3972-5512 Minatosa town
Dream Address: 5500-6415-5682

User Info: NeoMasamune

NeoMasamune
1 month ago#2
Once you have cleared Exile's Reach on a character you are given the option to choose it or the original starting zones on any new characters.

As far as choosing which expansion, by default on your first character it funnels you into Battle for Azeroth.
https://www.wowhead.com/guides/chromie-time-leveling-zone-expansion-scaling

The limiting of your first level 50 before unlocking Chromie Time may be out of date, check the top comments from that article.
formerly known as Neo Vejiita

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
1 month ago#3
Once you reach level 50, you will be following the story through the 4 zones on your first character and should you choose to make another, you will have the option to skip the story and level through dungeons/world quests.

User Info: xcmon3yx2

xcmon3yx2
1 month ago#4
do yourself a favor... cancel your sub and go play FFXIV
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaaOiM_Sk560HEVNYpsA7Og
Check out my let's play channel

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
1 month ago#5
Is 14 really that good? I've heard good things about it, and have been tempted to try it, but I played the "original" that people got fired for and it kind of turned me off from it.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#6
Ivany2008 posted...
Is 14 really that good? I've heard good things about it, and have been tempted to try it, but I played the "original" that people got fired for and it kind of turned me off from it.

Whether it's that good is up to personal opinion (and general opinion seems to be it only starts getting excellent in the expansions).

That said, 14 was completely scrapped and remade from the ground up, and the complete scrapping of 1.0 was written into the lore of the new version.

I only clicked this topic out of idle curiosity and I'm not very familiar with WoW so it may be similar in this regard, but story is a huge focus of FFXIV and it supposedly gets incredible in the expansions. I've only been playing casually and didn't move on from the base game yet.
Criticize all forms of bigotry, but don't enable the malicious hate mob that promotes cancel culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHLd8de6nM
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: EvilScythe

EvilScythe
1 month ago#7
xcmon3yx2 posted...
do yourself a favor... cancel your sub and go play FFXIV

do yourself a favor and DON"T go play FFXIV, ugh. Game is slow garbage.

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#8
I've played both. Other than both being MMOs they really don't compare very well. WoW has a Western RPG story and FFXIV has a very anime story where you get strong to fight a boss and then another boss has some new power that you now have to get stronger to fight.

WoW's story has multiple people of interest NPCs that take all the credit.
FFXIV's story has multiple NPCs that assist you and you take the credit.

This sounds minor but it does make a big difference.

FFXIV has a Main Story Quest running through all the expansions. You HAVE to complete the MSQ.
WoW only has the MSQ for your first character and only in Shadowlands. Other than that you can level however you choose.

FFXIV has the ability to learn all the jobs/classes on one character. If you want to make a new character for aesthetic reasons, you have to regrind the MSQ all the way through all the expansions or pay to boost.

WoW is limited to one class per character, but it only takes like 30 seconds max to swap characters. This was blown way out of proportion as a perk of FFXIV. WoW also lets you have different aesthetics for each class. And you can choose which expansion to level in now and only really need to do one expansion and Shadowlands to get to max level.

FFXIV is a LITTLE more lenient on daily activities but they are still there.

FFXIV gets boring at end game because there isn't as much content as WoW has.

FFXIV = You Like Anime, truly and not just because you're a gamer and feel like you have to.
WoW = You have a lot of free time and want to socialize and do end game content and get better and better at a video game.

That's my opinion on it. They both are worth playing, but if I had to pick one, obviously I picked WoW.

Further, the post that started this convo is way off topic and I've reported it.
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/RaelicRook/
Currently Playing: Trails in the Sky and finishing up Terraria
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Ness0123456789

Ness0123456789
1 month ago#9
Ivany2008 posted...

As an MMO, no, not at all.

As a single player RPG with some mild multiplayer elements? Yeah, it's decent. ARR and Heavensward (the first expansion) are super solid Final Fantasy games. Stormnlood is terrible and feels more like a generic anime, and Shadowbringers, despite having an excellent villain, had a very derivative story that loses steam pretty quickly, and has a super anti climactic and eye rollingly cliche ending.

ARR and HW are both free to play, so yeah, it's worth checking out if you want two free 30-40 JRPGs. But as an MMO that's going to keep you coming with replayable content like WoW? No, it's probably the worst option you could pick.
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. When can I choose my own starting area and level areas as a brand new player?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A