• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Threat generation of demoralizing shout

User Info: Lion2480

Lion2480
1 week ago#1
Hello, I would like to know whether there is a difference in the threat generated from demoralizing shout whether you are in battle stance or defensive stance. Or does defensive the stance only effect skills that do damage?

if defensive stance generates more aggro from demoralizing shout, is it worth investing 2 points in tactical mastery so that I can charge -> switch stance -> demoralizing shout for better AoE threat pull?

User Info: rawkuss

rawkuss
1 week ago#2
IIRC Demo shouts aggro is super low and really only viable for the initial pull but battle shout should be just as effective. Any DPS/heal will snap that aggro off you real quick. I wouldn't rely on Demo shout in any equation... but again, this is from a 15 year memory so I could be wrong.

User Info: Sp00k

Sp00k
1 week ago#3
Demo shout is altered by defensive stance and scales linearly to the amount of mobs it hits so it's useful in mass AOE tanking. Similarly, battle shout in raids with a group of hunters with pets out is great for AOE tanking.

And yes, if you're tanking under a normal build you should have tactical mastery (and anger management).
If you torture a stat badly enough it will tell you anything.
-John Hollinger @ 2011 Sloan Conference
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: quest64freak

quest64freak
1 week ago#4
I've heard Demo Shout is currently bugged and multiplies its threat but I haven't really felt that myself. On the large non-elite AoE packs in Gnomeregan I was still occasionally losing aggro despite repeatedly spamming DS after going into the pull with 50+ rage and Bloodrage. If DS was bugged the way people are saying it is that should have been impossible given their low health. As for the question: yes. Pretty much every skill has a flat threat value regardless of damage output which is multiplied based on stance.

Lion2480 posted...
if defensive stance generates more aggro from demoralizing shout, is it worth investing 2 points in tactical mastery so that I can charge -> switch stance -> demoralizing shout for better AoE threat pull?

It's worth investing five points for Anger Management.

Sp00k
1 week ago#5
Demo isn't bugged. It works the same way it did in Vanilla. It's also not going to hold aggro against good AOE or single target on normal packs. You need to be doing mass pulls to get it to work out for you.

User Info: Howiedodat

Howiedodat
1 week ago#6
According to WoW forums, it is bugged, or WAS, during Vanilla 1.12 patch. So it could be still the same. Someone even linked the patch nots from Vanilla showing the bug for DS.

I am going to Test it myself tomorrow when I have time. It would be game-breaking if it's true.

Curious.
PSN Rawrfra playing 7 days to die, Darksouls 3, Neverwinter, Bloodborne, Netflix.

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 week ago#7
Good mages will wait for tanks to get off two demo shouts before beginning to AOE. If you keep losing aggro I'll single target until you've done 3 or 4.
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Raelic Gog: https://www.gog.com/u/WoodenRook
https://media.tenor.com/images/ba9d412c253f22d44f44687807b4e7ac/tenor.gif

User Info: Lord_Zenki

Lord_Zenki
1 week ago#8
Just get Thunderfury and it aoe tanks for you
FC: 0748-7304-9172
Pokemon Ultra Moon IGN: Zenki

Sp00k
1 week ago#9
This has existed for ages and isn't unique to classic or 1.12 back in the day so I'm not sure why people say it's a bug. My guild used demo/battle shout spam on pets in BWL when it was current content through the rest of level 60 to simplify tanking on Razorgore, the suppression room and Nef.

User Info: DM_Rosso

DM_Rosso
1 week ago#10
Howiedodat posted...
According to WoW forums, it is bugged, or WAS, during Vanilla 1.12 patch. So it could be still the same. Someone even linked the patch nots from Vanilla showing the bug for DS.

I am going to Test it myself tomorrow when I have time. It would be game-breaking if it's true.

Curious.

It is bugged, aoe tanking wasn't a thing in vanilla at all. you used demo shout to get the initial attention then tab sunder to get actual aggro on the mobs.

edit: by now is probably hotfixed.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Threat generation of demoralizing shout
  • Post New Message