• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. what happens if WoW classic is a bigger hit than BfA?

User Info: big_pimper

big_pimper
1 month ago#1
how will it affect bfa development
how will it affect the mmo genre
go more hardcore? no more time gates? more grindy? more community?

i think with the backlash of BFa launch classic will be a smash hit
Taylor swift crew Selena Gomez crew robin sparkles Pokimane crew

User Info: tote_all

tote_all
1 month ago#2
>mmorpgs are drifting away from what draws gamers to video games these days
>hey guys wat if this classic mmorpg with all these obnoxious elements is a bigger hit
sigless user

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#3
If it is, it's only because most people left and there's so few people playing that it's the few die hard fans that always overstay when games are long past dead.
https://media.tenor.com/images/ba9d412c253f22d44f44687807b4e7ac/tenor.gif
Looking for Steam Friends: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198297666395/

User Info: Revenanced

Revenanced
1 month ago#4
Personally, I think WoW has been going downhill since MoP. Objectively, it's an entirely different game than how it was vanilla - wotlk.

With vanilla WoW you'll likely have people from retail WoW who will give it a try, people from private servers, and those who have left WoW in the past but are excited to replay the vanilla experience. The PvP experience is a lot different as well. You'll have people who don't work a normal job (or at all) doing the rank grind because all you really need is massive amounts of free time.
[PS4 Pro Owner][XB1 Owner][Switch Owner][Final Fantasy][Tales][Overwatch][Mass Effect][Elder Scrolls]!
T>10>7>9>8>15>6>1>2>13>12

User Info: Devo05

Devo05
1 month ago#5
Have a look at Runescape if you want a good case study on how successful a vanilla/legacy game version can be.

OSRS started off as a timelocked 2007 era server which Jagex assumed would not be a big success. It has since turned into the most popular version of the game and has its own content updates while still keeping the core gameplay of the era.

I predict WoW classic will follow a similar path, maybe not becoming as overwhelmingly popular as Runescape but enough to have content updates and expansions created exclusively for vanilla WoW.
GT/PSN: Bradelaide

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
1 month ago#6
big_pimper posted...
what happens if WoW classic is a bigger hit than BfA?

Well, first and more importantly, if Classic becomes a big hit over BFA, then that would mean I've been right all along, again (as well as anyone else who supported the idea of Vanilla servers). Ever since the great Nostralius shutdown of June 2016, the demand for Vanilla servers skyrocketed, and all the brow-beatings the opposing side took detailing how Classic servers can work and be successful. And watching LFR heroes cringe so hard, their spines snap in half....it's pure validation from real MMO gamers, and a victory on top of victory.

....but that said, in light of recent events, the WoW franchise we all knew and grew up with could be at risk. Between BFA failing as an expansion, and Activision shedding it's Blizzard persona at Blizzcon, selling out to the Asian Mobile Market by shifting their A-team devs to make pay2win cash grab games and then "laying off" other devs (probably because they have standards),.... Classic (even WoW overall) probably won't last too long due to such mis-management.

I believe it was confirmed that in order to access Classic, you need your subscription to BFA to be active. So Classic's success will be determined by BFA's success as well. It's a smart idea, except BFA sucks. Doesn't matter if you're hardcore or softcore; the game is so broken, 'nobody' is enjoying it. If BFA rocked, then it would be a non-issue since all players from across the strata would enjoy the WoW IP on their terms. But that's not the case. People have their strong opinions against BFA and are quitting 'en masse'.

Maybe if Activision didn't blend the subscription to cover both games, keep them separate but pay a lower fee for Classic; then maybe this is okay. But I doubt people would want to pay full price for a broken expansion, just to access an older version.
PSA: "Real Gamers*" don't pay for Micro-transactions.
*Pro-tip: You're not 'playing' the game, if you're paying your way through it.

User Info: ghettoraider81

ghettoraider81
1 month ago#7
I think they are hoping for it. Then they can make BC Classic servers, then WotLK, etc.

Make money all over again off the old content and not have to develop anything new or less over a larger time.
Win, lose, or tie Oakland Raiders til I die! WHY'S THE RUM GONE!
S.M.O.K.E my anti sXe

User Info: ghettoraider81

ghettoraider81
1 month ago#8
I think the best subscription they could do would be $15 a month for either game, Classic or modern, and an addition $5 to access both. It would be a way for them to make some extra money as a good amount of players regardless of which side of the fence they are may pay an extra $5 for the other side.
Win, lose, or tie Oakland Raiders til I die! WHY'S THE RUM GONE!
S.M.O.K.E my anti sXe

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#9
ghettoraider81 posted...
I think the best subscription they could do would be $15 a month for either game, Classic or modern, and an addition $5 to access both. It would be a way for them to make some extra money as a good amount of players regardless of which side of the fence they are may pay an extra $5 for the other side.

They've already released the subscription information. It's the one sub for both.
https://media.tenor.com/images/ba9d412c253f22d44f44687807b4e7ac/tenor.gif
Looking for Steam Friends: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198297666395/

User Info: Ness0123456789

Ness0123456789
1 month ago#10
Devo05 posted...
I predict WoW classic will follow a similar path, maybe not becoming as overwhelmingly popular as Runescape but enough to have content updates and expansions created exclusively for vanilla WoW.

The difference here being RuneScape classic is a VERY simple game with an even more simplistic graphics style.

It's a lot easier to develop new content and expansions for that, as opposed to WoW.

I said it once, and I'll say it again: it's not economically feasible for Blizzard to make expansions and new content, test them, and keep both to their quality levels without one or the other suffering.

If Blizzard was going to do something like that, they would be more likely to make a WoW 2, then they are to support WoW Classic as its own IP.

The idea of Classic WoW getting its own expansions and updates is a pipe drea, nothing more.
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. what happens if WoW classic is a bigger hit than BfA?
  • Topic Archived